new 372xp to buy or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fir

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
looking to buy a new 372 and will want to mod the muff and have a woods port done. It will be used for falling and bucking mostly. Was going to run a 28" bar but was also woundering if it could turn a 36" after mods if I buy it.I started falling for this saw at work and feel like a ninja with it compared to my 066.:confused2:

Though I have a couple nice 372's, my 066 and 660 Magnums will out cut either of my ported 372's.

Ported 372 is perfect for a 28" bar. 36" bar is 85cc + territory. If your running a 28" 90% of the time and a 36" 10% you would be ok.

Anything more than that I would highly recommend using something 85cc or more (385/390 or 066/660).

Depending on the wood you are in a 28" IMHO is pushing a 372. If you need the 28" most of the time you would be better with the 390. The reason I bought my 390 was the 372 [before it was modded] was too slow in the felling cut with the bigger bars. I like my 372 with a 24" bar. Oh and definatly get the G model. That was the main reason I bought a 562 was the heated grips. As far as the 36" bar if you really want to run it put a 395 on it. My 390 is not modded [yet] but it struggles with a 36" in hardwood [slow] once modded I think it will be fine. CJ

Last edited:
looking to buy a new 372 and will want to mod the muff and have a woods port done. It will be used for falling and bucking mostly. Was going to run a 28" bar but was also woundering if it could turn a 36" after mods if I buy it.I started falling for this saw at work and feel like a ninja with it compared to my 066.:confused2:

372xp's a great tool and you'll be ahead of the game if you get one, but you'd probably do best to run skip chain on the 28" bar, and save the 36" bar for your 066. Based on my MS440's, which have similar specs to a 372xp.

When you say a new 372 are you referring to an XT version?

I can sell you a new old school non strato 372XPW that's woods ported for 1200.00

To buy? Definately. Amazing saw and is at home with a 20-24" bar to capitalize on it's full potential.

When you say a new 372 are you referring to an XT version?

I can sell you a new old school non strato 372XPW that's woods ported for 1200.00

What would shipping be to come way up here to the west wet coast of Canada B.C. Have you ever sold any to us big soft wood cutters. The fir bark up here is a foot thick sometimes,need good filters.

What would shipping be to come way up here to the west wet coast of Canada B.C. Have you ever sold any to us big soft wood cutters. The fir bark up here is a foot thick sometimes,need good filters.

Sthil ain't got nothin' on Husky when it comes to air filtration.IMO. I own and run both professionally and my Husky is easier to maintain. Jst sayin':hmm3grin2orange:

Shipping to Canada 50.00

Yes I've sold em all over........the 372 has great filtration.

Cuz i live close to him- i watch with anticipation.LOL. About the shipping,:msp_biggrin: that is !

Not to jack a thread but how much for a 390XPW{stock,new} and woods potred(new)

Whatever the saw costs and 250.00......and shipping of course.

I don't have time to hunt for a super deal on a saw........if a guy does the leg work and finds a great deal, then has it shipped here for port work he is miles ahead I'd say.

I own all 3 saws a 372 xp xt, a 390xp, and an MS660. Don't waste your time with a 36" on a 372, not enough torque for that much bar. I definitely think that masterminds deal is the ticket. My older non-strato 372 was rated at a little less HP than the xt but it seemed to hold it's rpms in the cut better. As far as the fuel consumption who cares it's not that big of a deal if your only running 1 saw. A lot of people may disagree but my MS 660 is superior in every way (except weight) to the 390xp (both being stock). I am not a brand loyal kind of person. In the 70cc class I would definitely choose a 372 over a 441 or 440. just my opinion and experience.

I own all 3 saws a 372 xp xt, a 390xp, and an MS660. Don't waste your time with a 36" on a 372, not enough torque for that much bar. I definitely think that masterminds deal is the ticket. My older non-strato 372 was rated at a little less HP than the xt but it seemed to hold it's rpms in the cut better. As far as the fuel consumption who cares it's not that big of a deal if your only running 1 saw. A lot of people may disagree but my MS 660 is superior in every way (except weight) to the 390xp (both being stock). I am not a brand loyal kind of person. In the 70cc class I would definitely choose a 372 over a 441 or 440. just my opinion and experience.

I've never liked the heft of a 660.........they just seem so bulky.

Thank God they make all these different saws since what trips your trigger is different that what trips mine. :rock:

Thank God they make all these different saws since what trips your trigger is different that what trips mine. :rock:[/QUOTE]

Yeah but it sure does make things get expensive.:hmm3grin2orange:

Ya I am the same most of them have a place. At work we use 346's 365's 372's and when falling bigger stuff the boss brings out the 394's and I go home and get my 066 much nicer than a 394. like you said just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back