New 440 cost more than new 441 wonder why

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anthony_Va.

Anthony_Va.

XPW Fan Club
How so? Worse fuel economy. Worse vibrations. Worse power output. Worse air filtration system. I sure as heck wouldn't pay more for one.

I'm right with Space on this one. I've ran both stock and ported and the m-tron 441 is just the better saw IMO. I like 440's but the 441 is just better all around IMO. There's no way I would buy a 440 over a 441 even if it was 100 bucks cheaper. JMO.

I think they are better balanced, especially with a bar around 28", so much that I can't even feel the weight difference. The AV is miles ahead. The 441 has better power and filtration. I can't even see the argument in this situation but that just me.

Last edited:
Alex D

Alex D

ArboristSite Operative
How so? Worse fuel economy. Worse vibrations. Worse power output. Worse air filtration system. I sure as heck wouldn't pay more for one.

Fuel economy ok but how noticeable is that really on a saw?? Considering they use very little to begin with.

Vibs dunno does the 441 have a spring anti vib like the 441m tronic or rubber like the 440?

Power output same although id expect the 441 to have less due to epa.

Air filter can prob put a HD2 filter on a 440 and for the cutting ive done the standard normal filter and the HD for the 440 work just fine.

Pointless swith from 440 to 441 IMHO should of just changed the AV mount from rubber to springs. Now 441mtronic from the reviews its getting on here excellent idea or change. Electronic carb means its always tuned to the conditions can't do that on the old saws by hand. Very effective anti vibe system as well. Bravo Stihl.

StihlKiwi

StihlKiwi

ArboristSite Guru
was at the dealer today and he has 4 new 440s left,for $80 higher than the new 441.Stihl must know something

That 'something' they know is that there is a proportion of their customer base that are happy to pay a premium in order to avoid adopting new technology. Good on them for making the most of it

Last edited:
brncreeper

brncreeper

Addicted to ArboristSite
$80 more for a 440 is a bargain, the only place for a 441 is daily logging use where you would see fuel savings. I could see then where you might learn to love it.
For the occasional firewood cutter, work on your own saws, type user then go 440.
I've ran both and to me the 441 feels bigger and heavier.

CR500

CR500

Diesel, Snowmobile, & Chainsaw Technician
Its not just the fuel,the 441Cs are better in everyway.:msp_rolleyes:

From what most people say stock for stock, the new 441 CM is almost the closest thing to a ported saw from the factory. Weather this is true or not IDK but I like my 044 out of the 2 441 non CM ones I tried out I did not like them that much but there was something left on the table it felt like but the CM seems to be a different story, I will be part of the craze that is sweeping the nation this weekend I think. lol