New 60-80cc Saw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I heard....A lot of these boarded up, little hole in the wall dealers, it sounds like you guys are talking about, Dolmar wanted them to step up and act like quality dealers or fold up shop.

They started to require X amount of inventory purchased per year.....No more of this....A saw ordered here and a saw ordered there and next to no inventory in stock.

So I believe they are looking for legitimate dealers with decent store fronts and enough capital to purchase an inventory of their products.

So yes the little handy man guy selling a saw here and there out of his back shed (behind his trailer) was pretty much shut down by default and of course they're all whining about it but it does sound like Dolmar is (believe it or not) trying to establish a more 'professional' dealer network.

That was the reasoning that they used a long time ago when they went around and yanked inventory and dealerships, at least ten years ago. The issue people are having with Dolmar is that the distributors, dealers, and cooperate reps seem to have a difficult time coordinating a plan, and once a plan has been hatch having them all stick to that plan for a long enough time to establish a brand in a market area. The other issue seems to be the front money/location needed to become a dealer of a brand that burned a lot of people not to long ago. It seems silly but they have made difficult enough to be a dealer that it is not worth the effort to most that could be dealers.

Putting it simply, the saws might sell but the blowers and trimmers would gather dust and then moss at the current prices, they are no longer competitive for start ups.

Rental centers and vendors carry all three of Dolmar's branded equipment on the same shelf with different price tags. Ask why and the reasons range from silly to just plain stupid.

Last edited:
I visited the Dolmar website and got this as my nearest dealer.

attachment.php

So before I go there, I should look it up on Google Maps.

attachment.php

Well folks, here is my saga...

I have been relentlessly scouring the local online ads looking for worthwhile saws. Several weeks ago I found an ad for a Husky 372XP for $250 bucks. Turns out it was a 2002 or 2003 model and the guy thought it had less than 30 hours on it. The owner sold it to someone else after making plans to show it to me. I was pretty sad and upset.

Then yesterday fortune seemed to smile on me. I spotted an ad for a Poulan Pro 505 for a crazy price. I did a little quick research on here and learned it is supposedly a good saw and really a Jonsered 2083. I got ahold of the person and set up an appointment to see it as soon as possible. The saw hadn't been run in several years and still had some mix in the tank. I just checked to make sure it turned over and that all the parts were around. They were so I paid the man for it, thanked him and left.

I got it home and shook it up quite a bit and started turning it over. After 10 or 20 pulls it fired up. Not bad for supposedly 2-3 year old mix! It seems to run good. I got a 24" bar that appears to be an Oregon with it but the guy misplaced the chain so I haven't put it in wood yet.

There is sure a lot of plastic in the construction, I'm betting parts will be tough to come by, and it's a touch over 80cc, but I couldn't pass this baby up for what I got it for.

I appreciate all the advice and help and I will continue to keep my eyes peeled for good deals.

Now, does anyone have a workshop manual and IPL for the Poulan Pro 505? I searched the "beg for manuals" thread but came up emptyhanded.

Last edited:
Well folks, here is my saga...

I have been relentlessly scouring the local online ads looking for worthwhile saws. Several weeks ago I found an ad for a Husky 372XP for $250 bucks. Turns out it was a 2002 or 2003 model and the guy thought it had less than 30 hours on it. The owner sold it to someone else after making plans to show it to me. I was pretty sad and upset.

Then yesterday fortune seemed to smile on me. I spotted an ad for a Poulan Pro 505 for a crazy price. I did a little quick research on here and learned it is supposedly a good saw and really a Jonsered 2083. I got ahold of the person and set up an appointment to see it as soon as possible. The saw hadn't been run in several years and still had some mix in the tank. I just checked to make sure it turned over and that all the parts were around. They were so I paid the man for it, thanked him and left.

I got it home and shook it up quite a bit and started turning it over. After 10 or 20 pulls it fired up. Not bad for supposedly 2-3 year old mix! It seems to run good. I got a 24" bar that appears to be an Oregon with it but the guy misplaced the chain so I haven't put it in wood yet.

There is sure a lot of plastic in the construction, I'm betting parts will be tough to come by, and it's a touch over 80cc, but I couldn't pass this baby up for what I got it for.

I appreciate all the advice and help and I will continue to keep my eyes peeled for good deals.

Now, does anyone have a workshop manual and IPL for the Poulan Pro 505? I searched the "beg for manuals" thread but came up emptyhanded.

Chris,

Good score. I'd suggest a new thread with Poulan 505 in the title or contact ModifiedMark, a Poulan guy. Several here know Poulans, but MM is the only one I recall off the top of my head.

Good luck,

ole joat

Back