New 60-80cc Saw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't wanna base my parts orders on the internet... I can walk in to my saw shop and get anything for a Stihl or Husqvarna saw that has been produced in the last 25 years... most parts are on the shelf, and ordering is ususally next day. When Dolmar can back up a saw like that with a dealer... I would snatch one up in a heart beat.

You can't even find a Dolmar saw... little alone a dealer.

Gary

G Money, I totally agree. Dealers in the form of auto parts stores and the like:spam:...I passed too. Out here on the West Coast where we boast, it's tough frijoles trying to find a descent Dolmar dealer. For me, the only dealer I'd deal with is too far away. Add traffic, forget it.

I won't let a "ticky tack foul" ruin my WANTING some of the best saws on the planet...what's the next best thing...internet. Besides, a particular saw goes down, bust out one of your others while you wait for parts. If it was your only saw, then it would be understandable. Otherwise, "just do it."

I'm sure you have plenty of saws to choose from:)

You bet

Wow You should be pretty happy with that price:clap:

I was very pleased. I'm pretty sure it was a HD sale. It looked pretty tough on ebay, but I figured it would be fixable. He said in the add that he had a $140 reserve on it, so I emailed and asked if he'd do a buy it now for $160, and he agreed. The bar nuts looked like they had been put on with a vice grips, and the thing was covered in dirt and the bar was trash, and there was no chain, but a good cleaning and she ran like a top. I love this saw. JR

If interested in a 60cc saw I would recomend a husky 357xp or jred 2156, they are alot of saw for there size. Otherwise the jred 2171 or 372xp for a 70cc saw:clap:

I don't wanna base my parts orders on the internet... I can walk in to my saw shop and get anything for a Stihl or Husqvarna saw that has been produced in the last 25 years... most parts are on the shelf, and ordering is ususally next day. When Dolmar can back up a saw like that with a dealer... I would snatch one up in a heart beat.

You can't even find a Dolmar saw... little alone a dealer.

Gary

ALELUJA BROTHER!!!!!
The only dolmar dealer around quit within a year because of issues with
parts/warrnaty issues with no support. Now the closest dealer is 35 minutes farther. Rip on stihl and husky all they want but if I need something tomorrow at 10 till 6 he's open and has it. including saws!

Don't know if they've been mentioned but the MS 650 and the 390XP are in the 80ish cc range and will still be running in 30 years if taken care of. Probably a reasonable chance to get a few parts too. If you could fudge the numbers a bit, you could just step up to the MS660 or 395XP and be covered. I think you mentioned you have a 50cc or so saw.

:cry::cry::cry::cry: Cry me a river ...........

Ultra's cover is now blown...

attachment.php

I would suggest you consider a Dolmar 7900. Magnesium crankcase and 6.3 HP with a power head weight of 13.2 LB. Best in it's class I believe.

This a quality saw made in Germany. I bought a 112 new in 1986, used it for firewood, and the only parts it ever needed was spark plugs, rim sprockets, and one new clutch drum.

There are other very good saws, but the Dolmar 7900 is worthy of consideration.

I'm located in southern Stark county and the dealer is Andrews Saw in Canton....Nice guy!....Probably about 1.5 hours north of you.

Just like your Macs, your the exception to the rule....that is great that you have a good dolmar dealer nearby, but in heavily populated saw country like the PNW they are pretty scarce.
Take care,
Brad

Just like your Macs, your the exception to the rule....that is great that you have a good dolmar dealer nearby, but in heavily populated saw country like the PNW they are pretty scarce.
Take care,
Brad

:chatter: :chatter:

I never said there wasn't a dealer problem in the PNW....Are you not feeling well today?....Catch a virus did ya? :laugh: :laugh:

No your cover is blown as the biggest whiner on AS!!!!:ices_rofl::ices_rofl:

We will see who is laughing when Dolmar leaves the US again in SHAME! And just for you Ultra, I will re-start a Dolmar bashing campaign all over again on AS. Their web site is always a good place to start. Always filled with mis-information. Then the crappy US regional distributors, the one here is one of the worst (but not by much). Then I will post a compilation of the LARGE SET of replies and complaints I have from recent dealers that have bailed on Dolmar for many many many reasons. There are some local shops that had some VERY CHOICE and VERY UNKIND words about Dolmar. Then we can have a review session of how and why Dolmar left the US last time. Then we will discuss how they tune their saws incorrectly for the US market in Germany. Then we can discuss the lack of Dolmar saws and parts availability in large regions of the US. I will be busy for months and months. Heck, I can make it into a DOLMAR BASHING CAREER!

Just for you, Ultra. It will all be for you. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Then I will post a compilation of the LARGE SET of replies and complaints I have from recent dealers that have bailed on Dolmar for many many many reasons. There are some local shops that had some VERY CHOICE and VERY UNKIND words about Dolmar.:

Well now, I'm confused.....I've heard you whine over and over again that you would like to buy a Dolmar but there's not a dealer insight. :cry:

Now all of sudden you know so many local shops, who are so unhappy with Dolmar, they've all bailed on them. :dizzy: :dizzy:

Which story is it Windy?.....If you have/had so many local dealers than why couldn't ya find one? :monkey:

We will see who is laughing when Dolmar leaves the US again in SHAME! And just for you Ultra, I will re-start a Dolmar bashing campaign all over again on AS. Their web site is always a good place to start. Always filled with mis-information. Then the crappy US regional distributors, the one here is one of the worst (but not by much). Then I will post a compilation of the LARGE SET of replies and complaints I have from recent dealers that have bailed on Dolmar for many many many reasons. There are some local shops that had some VERY CHOICE and VERY UNKIND words about Dolmar. Then we can have a review session of how and why Dolmar left the US last time. Then we will discuss how they tune their saws incorrectly for the US market in Germany. Then we can discuss the lack of Dolmar saws and parts availability in large regions of the US. I will be busy for months and months. Heck, I can make it into a DOLMAR BASHING CAREER!

Just for you, Ultra. It will all be for you. :greenchainsaw:

I'll be laughing too, all the way to the woods.... With my DOLMAR

Well now, I'm confused.....I've heard you whine over and over again that you would like to buy a Dolmar but there's not a dealer insight. :cry:

Now all of sudden you know so many local shops, who are so unhappy with Dolmar, they've all bailed on them. :dizzy: :dizzy:

Which story is it Windy?.....If you have/had so many local dealers than why couldn't ya find one? :monkey:

Well, yes, it is very confusing. That seems to be the core of the Dolmar marketing startegy in this area. Eight dealers were listed in the Northern Oregon/Southern Washington area on the OFFICIAL DOLMAR web site that I called six months ago. Yes indeed, you would think that you could get a Dolmar saw here no problem. Well, not really... see... of those eight, four were no longer dealers. Of the four remaining, one was a dealer, but had no saws in stock. He said he could order them. I asked him to order a 5100s, and he said he would try. 30 minutes later he called and said they were back-ordered at the distributor. No could get. Of the three dealers left, all actually did indeed have Dolmar saws. Wow! They had saws! Hallaluyah! ....oh, but see, they only had the 341 to 401 size and type. A few each. None had any 5100s, 350, 420 or 7900 saws in stock. Zero. None could get me a 5100s (I tried to order one when I called each place), two had never heard of the 350 or the 420 when I asked about them, and none could get them, and none had ever sold a 7900. Zero. Zip. Nada.

You still with me here? Is this too confusing for you to follow? My point is that even though there was this appearance in the PNW that there is a strong Dolmar dealership presence here in the Portland/Vancouver metro area, there simply were ZERO dealers with anything larger than a PS-401 in stock. So I will turn the tables here, and ask you:

WHAT IS THE DOLMAR STORY? Why is their web siste out of date regarding dealerships in this area? Why is it that when I went to the listed address on the Dolmar web site in Salem, OR, there was chain linked fence around an old building that was obviously not open in over a year? Why is it that all the local Dolmar dealers that I called here did not have any mid to large size Dolmar saws in stock? Why was it that I could not buy or even order a 5100s chainsaws from ANY of them? Why was it that 4 of the 8 were no longer Dolmar dealers, even when their names were still listed on the Dolmar web site? I am confused too, see? It makes absolutely no business sence to me at all. I mean, really, why should we have to put up with all this BS, when I can go to any of a dozen or so Stihl or Husky dealers and get virtually every saw that they make, right now, ready to run and in my hands?

Well, yes, it is very confusing. That seems to be the core of the Dolmar marketing startegy in this area. Eight dealers were listed in the Northern Oregon/Southern Washington area on the OFFICIAL DOLMAR web site that I called six months ago. Yes indeed, you would think that you could get a Dolmar saw here no problem. Well, not really... see... of those eight, four were no longer dealers. Of the four remaining, one was a dealer, but had no saws in stock. He said he could order them. I asked him to order a 5100s, and he said he would try. 30 minutes later he called and said they were back-ordered at the distributor. No could get. Of the three dealers left, all actually did indeed have Dolmar saws. Wow! They had saws! Hallaluyah! ....oh, but see, they only had the 341 to 401 size and type. A few each. None had any 5100s, 350, 420 or 7900 saws in stock. Zero. None could get me a 5100s (I tried to order one when I called each place), two had never heard of the 350 or the 420 when I asked about them, and none could get them, and none had ever sold a 7900. Zero. Zip. Nada.

You still with me here? Is this too confusing for you to follow? My point is that even though there was this appearance in the PNW that there is a strong Dolmar dealership presence here in the Portland/Vancouver metro area, there simply were ZERO dealers with anything larger than a PS-401 in stock. So I will turn the tables here, and ask you:

WHAT IS THE DOLMAR STORY? Why is their web siste out of date regarding dealerships in this area? Why is it that when I went to the listed address on the Dolmar web site in Salem, OR, there was chain linked fence around an old building that was obviously not open in over a year? Why is it that all the local Dolmar dealers that I called here did not have any mid to large size Dolmar saws in stock? Why was it that I could not buy or even order a 5100s chainsaws from ANY of them? Why was it that 4 of the 8 were no longer Dolmar dealers, even when their names were still listed on the Dolmar web site? I am confused too, see? It makes absolutely no business sence to me at all. I mean, really, why should we have to put up with all this BS, when I can go to any of a dozen or so Stihl or Husky dealers and get virtually every saw that they make, right now, ready to run and in my hands?

I guess what your trying to say is that you can't find a dolmar saw in the PNW. Don't feel bad, they kind of bailed around here to. I think there might be one in Toledo which is obviously a decent sized city, although there is a small engine mechanic about 25 miles away who sells nothing new just a fix it shop who has a catalog that he can order one from if you prepay. Just what I'd wanna do is pay hundreds of dollars for a saw I haven't run. If they don't figure how to market these saws, and do it properly I have to agree that they'll have no choice but to pull up stakes and walk away.

From what I heard....A lot of these boarded up, little hole in the wall dealers, it sounds like you guys are talking about, Dolmar wanted them to step up and act like quality dealers or fold up shop.

They started to require X amount of inventory purchased per year.....No more of this....A saw ordered here and a saw ordered there and next to no inventory in stock.

So I believe they are looking for legitimate dealers with decent store fronts and enough capital to purchase an inventory of their products.

So yes the little handy man guy selling a saw here and there out of his back shed (behind his trailer) was pretty much shut down by default and of course they're all whining about it but it does sound like Dolmar is (believe it or not) trying to establish a more 'professional' dealer network.

From what I heard....A lot of these boarded up, little hole in the wall dealers, it sounds like you guys are talking about, Dolmar wanted them to step up and act like quality dealers or fold up shop.

They started to require X amount of inventory purchased per year.....No more of this....A saw ordered here and a saw ordered there and next to no inventory in stock.

So I believe they are looking for legitimate dealers with decent store fronts and enough capital to purchase an inventory of their products.

So yes the little handy man guy selling a saw here and there out of his back shed (behind his trailer) was pretty much shut down by default and of course they're all whining about it but it does sound like Dolmar is (believe it or not) trying to establish a more 'professional' dealer network.

+1

FC,

Us Dolmar guys have to stick together.

ole joat

Latest posts

Back