New 60-80cc Saw Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[QUOTE=Chris Crouse
- good parts availability now and in the future meaning a popular saw is probably a requirement (dealers are not important as everything I get will probably be mail-order anyways)

A dealer will have to be more important than you want. The three brands from your list can only be obtained new from a dealer. But I think (not sure) that Husky and Dolmar parts can still be mail ordered. Stihl parts are sold thru the dealer only.

Go check out the Chi-com cylinder threads as of late and then decide if you want to throw down 9 bones on a Stihl, or 6-7 on a stronger running saw such as the Dolmar 7900 with a purtier cylinder:)

No offense but I would also question why a dolmar is 30% less than the other two? They had to cut a corner somewhere. Also he wants to get parts 30 yrs from now, given the slim delaer network I would be concerned about getting parts now.

After reading the suggestions I have added the MS361 to my considerations even though it is a 59cc ( I don't care about 1cc). The Dolmar saws interest me but I worry that since they are nowhere near as popular as Stihl and Husky that future parts availability will be scarce.

What is the general feeling on them? As far as quality goes how do they compare?

Considering:
Stihl MS361, MS460
Husqvarna 372XP
Dolmar?
I like my 7900 very much, the chain adjust does not look as robust as the other saw's but it has not gave me any trouble. I am just a firewood cutter and rotate my saw's always have to figure out the switch. You use one one day and another brand of saw the next it get's confusing for my little brain.I do not have a good Dolmar dealer close to me but have many saw's I could use if I have a problem with it.Unlike Stihl you can get the parts you need with just a phone call and waiting for the package to arrive.

No offense but I would also question why a dolmar is 30% less than the other two?.

No offense taken!!! I would guess because they aren't on ESPN sponsering Timber Sports or paying for advertising in every corner of the world:)

They had to cut a corner somewhere.

If they have cut corners I have yet to find one, I keep hearing about their filtering systems, I've ben milling with mine and it stays cleaner than the 066 I have cutting firewood:dizzy: If they have cut corners it's been in their dealerships or lack of!!

Also he wants to get parts 30 yrs from now, given the slim delaer network I would be concerned about getting parts now.

As long as there is the internet, there will be parts. SO far my experience with parts have been better than getting some of the Stihl parts. I can order from a sponser here and see the parts sooner than if I had to drive down to the local Stihl dealer and order and wait for them to fill a large enough order and then wait for the shipping. Plus the Dolmar just out performs the Stihl in about every aspect for way less money:clap:

I could be wrong but i think most guys that depend on their saws to make a living are gonna chose a brand that has local parts on hand versus waiting on mail delivery. Something as simple as air/fuel filters are necessities which is why I mostly buy stihl. I'm sure the 7900 is a good saw but the closest dealer is now 40 miles away versus 2 stihl dealers within 5.

If you want the best? DOLMAR or HUSKY #1 take your pic!

If you just want to pay for the name and don't really want the best quality saw you can get , go for the STIHL!!

One nice thing about Stihl is all the dealers, easy to get parts that you'll need alot!

Last edited:
I could be wrong but i think most guys that depend on their saws to make a living are gonna chose a brand that has local parts on hand versus waiting on mail delivery. Something as simple as air/fuel filters are necessities which is why I mostly buy stihl. I'm sure the 7900 is a good saw but the closest dealer is now 40 miles away versus 2 stihl dealers within 5.

Very true if they have the parts on hand and they will place an order everyday, if not than your no better off than buying a Dolmar. I needed a fuel cap for my 066. It wasn't in stock at any of the local dealers, I had to wait over week to get one. I could have ordered that part from Cuttin Scott or Edge and engine and had it sooner if it were a Dolmar. But that is in my area yours probably different. Plus if you make your living with these saws you probably should have simple parts on hand like filters and such.:)

Very true if they have the parts on hand and they will place an order everyday, if not than your no better off than buying a Dolmar. I needed a fuel cap for my 066. It wasn't in stock at any of the local dealers, I had to wait over week to get one. I could have ordered that part from Cuttin Scott or Edge and engine and had it sooner if it were a Dolmar. But that is in my area yours probably different. Plus if you make your living with these saws you probably should have simple parts on hand like filters and such.:)

I dont know that my areas any different I just don't have a dolmar dealer nearby and have never had any major issues with stihl and feel that the cost is justified when you can get two years of heavy use out of a saw with next to no downtime. Nobody wishes more than me that the cost was lower. For what it's worth I tried dolmar and personally had no luck with them, but thats my experience obviously not everyones. What ever works for ya to each his own.

[. Plus if you make your living with these saws you probably should have simple parts on hand like filters and such.:)[/QUOTE]

You would think so but I caught myself at 6:30 this morning with no mix.. Luckily my dealer is sharpening chains before shop hours..

hs, what dolmar and wha problems?

i have a local husky and stihl dealer. both are good to deal with. i still have to order parts occasionally and wait a few days. when i did the 6400-7900 conversion i didn't have to wait any longer for parts to come from NY.

[. Plus if you make your living with these saws you probably should have simple parts on hand like filters and such.:)

You would think so but I caught myself at 6:30 this morning with no mix.. Luckily my dealer is sharpening chains before shop hours..[/QUOTE]

LOL, Yeah that will put a kink in the begining of a day. :cheers:

Get the Dolmar 6400. . . . that right there is a saw that will last for ever. . . .as much as I despise dolmar, that is one overbuilt saw and there cheep, pretty much bullet proof (might see if mine can take a 30-06 round), good torque, reasonable power for everyday cuttin, and simple as heck to work on.

-steve

Get the Dolmar 6400. . . . that right there is a saw that will last for ever. . . .as much as I despise dolmar, that is one overbuilt saw and there cheep, pretty much bullet proof (might see if mine can take a 30-06 round), good torque, reasonable power for everyday cuttin, and simple as heck to work on.

-steve

why tote the weight and not get the extra 1.5hp that the 7900 offers?

Back