New and lost

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well one for $12 seems cheaper than one for $26......
The op is in Canada, so I sent a link to a Canadian site with free shipping. The link you provided is from the U.S. and shipping is over $20, plus duities and taxes when it arrives here in Canada. It would be cheaper for the op to buy the chains on Amazon.ca

says $15.22, smarty pants.
free shipping.
The link you provide is NOT free shipping to Canada - it is $20.93

Quote:
Shipping:
US $16.50 (approx. C $20.93) USPS First Class Mail International / First Class Package International Service | See details
See details about international shipping here. help icon for Shipping - opens a layer

Item location:
Nebraska City, Nebraska, United States

Ships to:
Worldwide See exclusions

I checked out those chains Marshy and please correct me if I’m wrong but 66 links will not fit a 67 link bar. Correct?

Sorry for my ignorance

Just as an aside; there is almost NEVER free shipping to Canada from the U.S. For whatever reason, shipping from U.S. to Canada is 3 to 5 times as expensive as shipping from many other places in the world. China, Russia, and many Eastern European countries seem to be able to ship to Canada very economically, and regularly offer free shipping on Ebay, and very reasonable shipping from online retailers.

so I have a STIHL ms290. I know it’s not a top saw. It has a 16” .325 pitch 0.050 gauge, 67 link chain and bar. Looking for a replacement chain. And searching with those specs I’m finding nothing. Well aside from my local shady authorized STIHL dealer who like to up price his chains. 78 dollars a chain seems steep which I have been paying when I need too.

While I understand cheaper chains are not always the best idea, I cut a lot of wood. 18 cord a year. So I have been considering buying chain in bulk and building my own chains. Is this feasible? If so any advice on suppliers or safety hints?
I,m in BC and they charge 50c per driver.At 67 drivers your paying a loonie plus/
what gives with your dealer?

Just as an aside; there is almost NEVER free shipping to Canada from the U.S. For whatever reason, shipping from U.S. to Canada is 3 to 5 times as expensive as shipping from many other places in the world. China, Russia, and many Eastern European countries seem to be able to ship to Canada very economically, and regularly offer free shipping on Ebay, and very reasonable shipping from online retailers.
:Yeah, I quit shipping to Canada a long time ago.

One other thing to point out is I had a friend think he was doing me a favour. Have me three brand new chains. But they are .063 gauge. This is the reason I inquired about the bar.

I’ve done a bunch of searching, but for clarity please correct me if wrong here:

Gauge = thickness of the guides and mud match the groove of the bar.

Pitch of the chain must match the pitch of the sprocket.

Links = length of the chain

I checked out those chains Marshy and please correct me if I’m wrong but 66 links will not fit a 67 link bar. Correct?

Sorry for my ignorance
Sorry if I made it confusing for you. All I did was go to Oregon's web site and select your pitch and gauge and bar length and posted the results from their site. That is why I said make sure the you get the correct number of drive links for you saw. Depending how much adjustment your saw has its possible at 66 DL chain will work. It's equally possible 66 DL won't work. The Q66 Super Chisel has 67DL and is the 20LPX chain that @CJ Brown gave you a link for through Amazon.

Sorry if I made it confusing for you. All I did was go to Oregon's web site and select your pitch and gauge and bar length and posted the results from their site. That is why I said make sure the you get the correct number of drive links for you saw. Depending how much adjustment your saw has its possible at 66 DL chain will work. It's equally possible 66 DL won't work. The Q66 Super Chisel has 67DL and is the 20LPX chain that @CJ Brown gave you a link for through Amazon.

So based on the fact I do have 3 brand new .325 pitch 0.063 gauge 67dl chains here maybe a .063 gauge bar would be cheaper?

Back