New Beginner Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for that.
So there is no problem buying from Stihl, I just need to make sure I get the professional range of protective gear not the cheap(er) stuff they also sell.

The Ms180 comes with a 3/8 16" bar, 0.043 chain.

I can get that changed to a 3/8 16" 0.050 chain.

Should I get a 14" chain instead on that saw or keep it 16" as standard just get the 0.050 instead?

Should I get a 14" chain instead on that saw or keep it 16" as standard just get the 0.050 instead?
Whether you go 14" or 16", go for the 0.050" gauge bar and chain. Personally I preferred 16" when the MS180 was my only saw. I started with a 14" which in reality is only 12 1/2" from the ends of the spikes, and found I was having to cut from both sides more often than I liked so I changed to 16". Now that I have a bigger saw as well I could go back but I really don't find any downside to the 16".

Thanks for the feedback.

Decided to forget the whole thing.

Realising how much time and effort it takes to get your own wood and the upfront cost... I thought it would be significantly cheaper chopping your own than paying for already seasoned and split firewood at $350 per 1000kg.

In end... by the time I drive out to where I could chop trees, then chop up that much (2 cubic meters worth in 30cm lengths), then bring it home and split all that... it ends up even more expensive than buying it (lot of time lost), and on top of that have to wait a year or two before it is even seasoned properly to be able to use it effectively. And even if all that some how broke even, it would be random wood whatever I found compare to the really seasoned Ironbark I could of just bought.

So, thanks again, but all the risks associated with doing this myself, and the time it would cost, it is cheaper to just buy it and let someone else stuff around producing it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Decided to forget the whole thing.

Realising how much time and effort it takes to get your own wood and the upfront cost... I thought it would be significantly cheaper chopping your own than paying for already seasoned and split firewood at $350 per 1000kg.

In end... by the time I drive out to where I could chop trees, then chop up that much (2 cubic meters worth in 30cm lengths), then bring it home and split all that... it ends up even more expensive than buying it (lot of time lost), and on top of that have to wait a year or two before it is even seasoned properly to be able to use it effectively. And even if all that some how broke even, it would be random wood whatever I found compare to the really seasoned Ironbark I could of just bought.

So, thanks again, but all the risks associated with doing this myself, and the time it would cost, it is cheaper to just buy it and let someone else stuff around producing it.

As we all have different situations and priorities, processing firewood doesn't make sense for everyone. If in the future you ever decide to get a saw, the good thing is that they keep getting better and better.

I just explained similar sentiment at my local tire shop. I'm perfectly capable of performing just about any tire/tube repairs and replacements on our farm, but almost all of that work is sent to a a local shop a few miles down the road. It's worth it for me to have them use their equipment, sweat, and man hours to perform my tire work.

Latest posts

Back