New blue Bosch plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been buying all of my plugs from sparkplugs.com and have been very pleased with the service.

And, I always put a dab of antiseize an my plugs, with no trouble.

This is the first time I've heard something negative in regards to putting some anti-seize on spark plugs threads. I'm not a rocket scientist, never played one on tv, but I have spent a night or two at a Holiday Inn Express.

As I did mention, I've been doing this for years and never had any issue, problem, or situation with it. But then again, I always drain the fuel tank after use, re-start the OPE (love that abbreviation, btw) back up, and let it idle until it dies on it's own. I've been told that it's not necessary and to just leave fuel in it if it won't sit for too very long.

Anyways, now I'm curious as to how others feel about the anti-seize issue. Been doing that on all of my m/c's as well. No issues...................

I did find this: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/TB-0630111antisieze.pdf

I did some further research, and did find articles about NOT using anti-seize on spark plug threads. Most concerns are in regards to proper torque and not getting any compound on electrodes or insulator.

Anyways, the opinions seem to be about 50/50. It was enough info. for me wanting to re-think my decision to be doing this. I know I'm not perfect and can be prone to making mistakes, as some of you tend to point this out to me every so often. :rolleyes:

This is the first time I've heard something negative in regards to putting some anti-seize on spark plugs threads. I'm not a rocket scientist, never played one on tv, but I have spent a night or two at a Holiday Inn Express.

As I did mention, I've been doing this for years and never had any issue, problem, or situation with it. But then again, I always drain the fuel tank after use, re-start the OPE (love that abbreviation, btw) back up, and let it idle until it dies on it's own. I've been told that it's not necessary and to just leave fuel in it if it won't sit for too very long.

Anyways, now I'm curious as to how others feel about the anti-seize issue. Been doing that on all of my m/c's as well. No issues...................
From my days of racing 2 smoke motor bikes it was sort of instilled at the beginning to clean the threads but install the plugs dry, no lubricant, & I"ve carried on that way never giving it much thought, but reading your post got me to thinking, the plugs on my bike were removed at much more frequent intervals than saw plugs are usually taken out,so the corrosion factor was probably nil, the only down side that springs to mind is the fooling of the torque wrench if it"s used , & then I read about the heat transfer syndrome, so it seems it"s a, do I alter the heat transfer & stop the possibility of seizure, or do I fit as I"ve always done,& risk em locking up or do I take em out more often & clean & replace em. Although I"ve had saws that plugs have sat in & the saws not used for months /even years & no bother on removal ( I"ll have to go & have a lie down all this thinking is making me feel dizzy ) I guess it"s one of those I"ve done it for X years trouble free so I might as well continue till I have a problem; & then have a rethink as both methods seem to work

If I could find a stock load of old vintage unused Bosch plugs for sleds i would buy them up!! Best dam plug I ever seen used in skidoo for Rotax engines , the ones on talking about we're made in Germany not China ,

What plug? I had bought some Germany made older ones to stock up back when I raced alky saws etc. I just stick them in anything now to use them up.

Anti seize:
Back in the day, when I was in the Navy, I was instructed to apply anti-seize to the plugs of the air cooled round motors when I changed them.
For the 15 years I owned air cooled VWs, I always use anti seize and never pulled a plug thread.
I use anti seize on all my plugs in air cooled engines. I know when I pull a plug, the threads will stay in the head,
Now I own water cooled VW Beatle and my son does the service, I don't know If he uses anti seize.
If he pulls a tread, It's HIS problem, I just hold the light.
What a difference from the old fresh air 40 hp to my 1.8 lt, 20 valve turbo, 200 hp New Beatle. I like the new Beatle much better, The heater and defrost even work.
Sorry to get side tracked, It seems to happen more often lately.
This could turn into another OIL type thread.

FREDM 06478

It was in a saw I bought. It seems to run fine with it. I've never had problems with bosch but if they went to china I may go to Denso or NGK if they're not having stuff made in China.

It was in a saw I bought. It seems to run fine with it. I've never had problems with bosch but if they went to china I may go to Denso or NGK if they're not having stuff made in China.

As far as I"m aware the complete range of Denso plugs are manufactured in Japan, Where I am it"s finding a supplier thats the problem.

I checked yesterday and my oldest german made bosch plugs that used to be wrapped in shrink wrap plastic in 10's instead of boxes like they are now are all in saws.
Then I found some newer then above in boxes german made bosch 1 box of 10 and 1 from another for 11.
Then all the newest boxes have made in brazil.

We're talking about spark plugs - commodity items perfected many decades ago. Other than better (more expensive) materials, all of the recent advances are mostly gimmicks. There can't be any profit margin in them. No doubt they tried automating the manufacturing process as much as possible, but I'm sure it's still cheaper to have them made by people working for next to nothing.

This is exactly the kind of low tech, low margin commodity widget that no one really wants to make anymore.

So u guys r saying because the bosch is made inn China its less quality than made in Japan? I have a new blue Bosch but didnt notice where it was made? Works good though

Back