New Career

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fishermen are worse.

My dad used to think elk hunters are bad.... now he considers fisherman way worse.

He's run into some mighty funny crap out elk huntin... I'm glad I consider myself more an elk hunter than a fisherman :msp_biggrin:

Last edited:
I like to take people at their word, but some guys just take it a little too far. Hundreds of feet up with 6' bar? Unless you featured in a prominent poster sold by Gerald Beranek you're going to need proof on that one. Hundreds meaning at least 200, that must beat record holders to need a 6' bar. And when you start talking about it like it was every day before morning tea instead of once ever in your whole life, to guys who do take out some of the biggest trees, then lookout. The guy was given a pretty gentle poking. He could have backed down a little and said 'well, there was that one tree, but mostly we were in smaller stuff' or whatever. If you decide to not back down and maintain such an extravagant claim to real loggers you better be prepared to back it.

The stuff I do is small compared to the stuff you guys do. I'm an urban tree worker. Most of the stuff I see on a daily basis is under 3'. Some of it well under. Once in a while I stumble upon something big. Big to me is 7' or 8' dbh and up to 200' tall. We have nothing like that in the city, only up in the mountains. I take pics when I get one like that. Screw you guys, i take pics for myself.

Yeah I know all the big ones are gone, but even back in the day 15'dbh with 6' at 200' was exceptional, not the norm. They took pics of trees like that around the time the camera was invented, because they were rare even back then!

Both are good thank you. How goes it for you?

I think that photo is in the same album where the photos of the canoe trip with Raquel Welch are.

So far sleepless lol the day was good. Went to the hills to play in the snow with my jeep. Gotta see some cuts and a whole lotta wood decked up ready to be hauled. Guess I shoulda took some pics for the equipment junkies. I'm not very patient with the camera. I just kinda charge right along and don't think to stop lol Oh seen some deer too lol

OK, so it's only a thinning operation, but seeing how I won't be around in another 10,000 years when this stand is due for harvest, here's a shot of the stalks we've been knocking over since daybreak this morning (I'm on my morning smoko now):
View attachment 266768

There's so many like this, one of the greenhorns suggested breaking out the beaver blade on the brush cutters. We had to remind him we are getting paid by the hour, not Ha. Sheesh, some people just don't think.

Last edited:
OK, so it's only a thinning operation, but seeing how I won't be around in another 10,000 years when this stand is due for harvest, here's a shot of the stalks we've been knocking over since daybreak this morning (I'm on my morning smoko now):
View attachment 266768

There's so many like this, one of the greenhorns suggested breaking out the beaver blade on the brush cutters. We had to remind him we are getting paid by the hour, not Ha. Sheesh, some people just don't think.

Now wha kind of tree was that big one? My forester side is coming out. Get to do dendrology over again... yay for me. I hear im gonna be learning some more exotic species though other than the ones found here in the NW.

Now wha kind of tree was that big one? My forester side is coming out. Get to do dendrology over again... yay for me. I hear im gonna be learning some more exotic species though other than the ones found here in the NW.
Some call 'em Kauri (Agathis australis) but most of us down here in the Pacific South East call them shrubs. Occasionally, two of us dangle from choppers hanging onto a powerhead each on the end of a double ended 12' bar so we can cut the tops out for roosting platforms for our native birds called Kiwis.

Some call 'em Kauri (Agathis australis) but most of us down here in the Pacific South East call them shrubs. Occasionally, two of us dangle from choppers hanging onto a powerhead each on the end of a double ended 12' bar so we can cut the tops out for roosting platforms for our native birds called Kiwis.

Paging expertech...job opportunity.

are the Kiwis related to the Dodo's ?

My dad used to think elk hunters are bad.... now he considers fisherman way worse.

He's run into some mighty funny crap out elk huntin... I'm glad I consider myself more an elk hunter than a fisherman :msp_biggrin:

Yeah, I used to fish a lot. Not anymore.......But I can't talk about it. :laugh:

I still elk hunt, but I have to watch myself. ;)

Andy

Hahaha a shrub at 50m tall? I googled it once I got the name. So other than a nice place for kiwi to roost, which I thought they were flightless, what are these Kauri good for? lol

are the Kiwis related to the Dodo's ?
Distant cousin twice removed.
tumblr_lvpd8tGiPX1qes7o5o1_1280.jpg

150' isn't tall. Heck, even my dog can spin yarns taller than that

Well it can't be measured as a tree unless it is over 4.5 or 5 feet if I remember correctly... :msp_scared:

I'd say at 150 feet it counts as a tree... the question is if it's worth anything... as a silviculturalist once told me "If it doesn't have a value I don't care about it." lol

the question is if it's worth anything
Stunningly beautiful wood. Photos don't do it justice as they seldom pick up the warmth and effervescence or whitebait figure it can have. Sometimes a bit soft though. They built houses, boats and furniture from it back in the day. Can be thousands of years old. Last year, I was cutting logs that were growing when dinosaurs roamed the Earth. Story goes a tsunami or massively high winds flattened large forests of these ancient trees tens of thousands of years ago and they lay in peat and swamps, preserved (without actually petrifying to any great extent - it still has it's grain structure intact and is often just like cutting a green log and sometimes it has a tannin stain to it that gives it a dark and brooding mood) and now we dig 'em out and sell em' off to mainly the Chinese as fast as we can get them out of the ground (which is not all that fast if they are monsters - as in 90 cubic metres of lumber from just one log kind of monstrous, although most are not that big).

The only way many NZers can afford furniture or flooring made from Kauri these days is if they are pulling down an old house that was built with it, or are lucky enough to stumble over it in a friends paddock one day and are allowed to dig it out. It's not being felled much as it's protected most places and the really good trees are as scarce as hens teeth. My drying racks are slowly accumulating some. Not enough but as one of my most favourite timbers to work with, i probably couldn't ever get enough of it. Some are picking a long dry summer here in the North of the North Island, so that's the time to get up in a small plane and fly over the usual suspects looking for strips of dead grass - a log buried just below the surface will stop the water getting to the grass above it and/or the roots of the grass getting to sustainable depths so the grass dries off. It's quite a defined demarcation. But every canny bugger is doing the same and it's a race that's hard to win.

Last edited:
Back