New Chainsaw Purchaser

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey I hear you on the no stihl!

I did not read all of this thread so if you have heard this already, your hearing it again!

I saw you were thinking 435 or 455,

If you wanna step up from the 435 dont go for the 455 is my sugg, to heavy for the power and a 445 or 450 will be cheaper and lighter and in my opinion the 450 is alot nicer saw!

My friend just purchased a Husky model 450 (50cc) with an 18" bar for $369.00 plus tax. You get a brand new saw and a 2 year warranty.

Understand that ebay is a craps shoot even for, "refurbished" saws.
I would hate to see you buy a bargin saw, and have to throw more $ into it to get it running correctly. Then you have a used saw that would cost more than a new one, and that's no bargin.

If you do look at that 390, make sure you pull the muffler and look at the piston to check for scoring. Make sure you test the saw and cut some wood with it. What price were they asking for it?

Let us know what you get.

I bought my first "real saw" 2 years ago and went with the 390, wish I would have gotten a bigger saw now. but it has been a good saw for my needs despite its poor power to weight ratio. just like any saw keep the chain sharp and it cuts a whole lot better.

I bought my first "real saw" 2 years ago and went with the 390, wish I would have gotten a bigger saw now. but it has been a good saw for my needs despite its poor power to weight ratio. just like any saw keep the chain sharp and it cuts a whole lot better.

Yes, but now you can get another since you have seen the light!:cheers:

Im sure the 390 is a good saw though!

I have since purchased a nice used 260 and have plans for something in the 70cc range. there truly is no replacement for displacement especially with powertools:chainsawguy:

Hey I hear you on the no stihl!

I did not read all of this thread so if you have heard this already, your hearing it again!

I saw you were thinking 435 or 455,

If you wanna step up from the 435 dont go for the 455 is my sugg, to heavy for the power and a 445 or 450 will be cheaper and lighter and in my opinion the 450 is alot nicer saw!

2nd time I have heard about the 445 or 450. I'll do some research.

Hadnt checked them out. the cc's vs HP is funny to me. How one 40cc saw with 2.4HP can underperform another 40cc saw with 2.0Hp. It's like buying Sound equipment. I never read the PEak specs, give me the RMS specs. Then I'll know if the Amp can hang when I really drive the rig.

Thanks.

2nd time I have heard about the 445 or 450. I'll do some research.

Hadnt checked them out. the cc's vs HP is funny to me. How one 40cc saw with 2.4HP can underperform another 40cc saw with 2.0Hp. It's like buying Sound equipment. I never read the PEak specs, give me the RMS specs. Then I'll know if the Amp can hang when I really drive the rig.

Thanks.

Some of those hp ratings just dont make sense when you feel the saws power in you hands if you know what I mean!
As for the 445/450 I think you would be impressed at least by the 450, I have not ran a 445 alot but did test one and I liked the old 345.450 does not have alot of feed back as it is a new saw, but the 350 was a well liked saw and I like my 450 just as well!

Those Stihl heads move in for the kill quite rapidly.
QUOTE]

I like husky saws just fine but have news for all on here that husky isn't any cheaper now. The 435 eqivalent would be the 211 and they're priced similar. I also saw the 372 going for $80 more than a 441 so husky threw their hat in the ring price wise with stihl so that argument holds no water anymore.

Those Stihl heads move in for the kill quite rapidly.
QUOTE]

I like husky saws just fine but have news for all on here that husky isn't any cheaper now. The 435 eqivalent would be the 211 and they're priced similar. I also saw the 372 going for $80 more than a 441 so husky threw their hat in the ring price wise with stihl so that argument holds no water anymore.

I would have to disagree with you and agree all at the same time!
I have found prices vary quite a bit from diff parts of the country.
I can get husky more reasonable than stihl, but dolmars which are my #1 are more expensive here than in alot of areas! You just have to check your area and then make a choice!

I would have to disagree with you and agree all at the same time!
I have found prices vary quite a bit from diff parts of the country.
I can get husky more reasonable than stihl, but dolmars which are my #1 are more expensive here than in alot of areas! You just have to check your area and then make a choice!

I checked a 7900 price here and it was over $900 yet I hear guys talking about getting them for just over six so I know what you mean. Around here though I think the husky and stihl dealer all play poker together becasue they are neck and neck.

I checked a 7900 price here and it was over $900 yet I hear guys talking about getting them for just over six so I know what you mean. Around here though I think the husky and stihl dealer all play poker together becasue they are neck and neck.

Same here man! I hear about the 380 dollar 5100 but not even close here!

Thanks for the tip on the 390.

Keep an eye out for a 029 Super it is the same cc as the 455 husky. Mine is muffler modded and it will saw with a 361 Stihl. Picked up another one in great shape with little use for $175. Gave $40 for the first one and have no regrets. Take your time one will come along.:chainsaw:

12 to 15 cords of wood on a home owner grade saw is going to hard on the saw. And it is going to be hard on your body too! I own a 455 rancher, its a great saw. But it was not designed for that kind of hard use. Last year was my first firewood cutting season. By the middle of it, I had to upgrade to a prograde saw. Yes it will cost alot more money out of pocket. But it was time and labor saver. Between me, my father and alittle for my grand father. By myself cut over 16 cords of wood. Half of that I did with the 455. It was beating the crap out of me! The anti-vib is okay on it and power output is so-so. I moved up to a 372xp and boy there is a huge difference! The anti-vibe is fantastic, plus the speed that you cut at is great. The saw just plain doesnt beat up at the end of the day! If you really plan to cut that amount of wood, get a 372xp or better. Its better to pay for a investment like that in the front end, then in the back end.

Gallegosmike, Thanks for the input. However, my situation does not allow me to move that far forward. I would love to buy a 7 or 800 puppy. Or if i could find one used in my range with that power and in excellent condition. But I must do what I can do with what I have.

Perhaps is the Neo-Cons and Neo-Libs were removed from power, I could resume earning money the way I did in the past and this would be a no brainer. LOL.

In the meantime.... Make it work with what you have....

And allow the fruits of your labor to yield you manifold blessings....

Gallegosmike, Thanks for the input. However, my situation does not allow me to move that far forward. I would love to buy a 7 or 800 puppy. Or if i could find one used in my range with that power and in excellent condition. But I must do what I can do with what I have.

Perhaps is the Neo-Cons and Neo-Libs were removed from power, I could resume earning money the way I did in the past and this would be a no brainer. LOL.

In the meantime.... Make it work with what you have....

And allow the fruits of your labor to yield you manifold blessings....

It is going to be awhile before any of us can make money. Old obama thinks money is the root of all evil and has to be "spread around". If the idiot republicans CAN NOT get their collective heads out of thier @sses. We all are going to suffer through higher taxes and more government intrusion on are personal freedoms.

I understand that you got to make do with what you have to spend! Money is always tight and you have live within your budget. If you do get a 455 Rancher. Go with a 16" bar and get some stihl RSC chain. Stay away from oregon chain, its way too soft. Use a good 2 stroke oil like lucas semi-synthetic or husky XP. For bar oil, poulan brand in the gallon green jug is hard to beat. The stock bar is okay, look at it lasting you one season if your cutting clean wood. Keep your bar rails clean and chase your bar every other wood cutting sesson. Flip your bar every wood cutting sesson to even out the wear. Pull you air cleaner, pop open the air cleaner and tap the sides to clean out. Wash your air clean with mild dish soap when it gets really dirty. You should get more then a season out of it. Check out baileys for a pro grade oregon replacement bar with a replaceable nose.

While your at baileys web site, buy some spare parts. I always carry these spare parts and tools with me: spark plug(pre-gapped), oil/fuel cap(2), air filter, bar nuts(2), small screw driver, small paint brush(to clean oil/fuel cap area before fueling up/filling oil tank), small wire brush (to clean spark plug), chain filing kit, depth gauge and file, sprocket grease gun, and finally a couple of rags to clean fuel and oil spills on the saw.

Last edited:
Sadly the Republicrats are no longer the Party of Lincoln. Or a Conservative voice at all.

But we digress, the plan is to socialize this country fully starting with this Intrusive wave of Fascism. I hear Echos of Adoplh, Mussolini and Josef ringing in my ears. LOL.

Anyway. Thanks for the maintenance Kit suggestions. I had planned to go with a shorter bar regardless of what saw I purchased.

And Great info on the Bar and chain recommendations. I didn't realize Oregon Chains were soft. I assumed they were the "best choice" It's all a learning curve. Glad to learn it.

Back