New Chainsaw Selection - Advice Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradyHeath

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the market to buy a new chainsaw and my first chainsaw. (2nd first one I bought was a Chinese fake stihl and broke within a week)
I've decided I want to go with a stihl as I've read a lot of reviews on not being able to beat the brand, but I'm needing help deciding which model is best for my use.
I do a fair bit of camping and also have a fire pit at home which gets used regularly over the winter time, so I'm cutting decent sized wood.
I have researched that I'm better spending the extra money and getting a professional chainsaw over a farm owner saw in the long run. (I plan on not having to upgrade for a very long time)

Any help would be appreciated. I live in Australia so its going to cost me an arm and a leg either way!
Cheers,

Brady.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the market to buy a new chainsaw and my first chainsaw. (2nd first one I bought was a Chinese fake stihl and broke within a week)
I've decided I want to go with a stihl as I've read a lot of reviews on not being able to beat the brand, but I'm needing help deciding which model is best for my use.
I do a fair bit of camping and also have a fire pit at home which gets used regularly over the winter time, so I'm cutting decent sized wood.
I have researched that I'm better spending the extra money and getting a professional chainsaw over a farm owner saw in the long run. (I plan on not having to upgrade for a very long time)

Any help would be appreciated. I live in Australia so its going to cost me an arm and a leg either way!
Cheers,

Brady.

G'day Brady - I wouldn't be concerned about going away from Stihl - the air filtration system on Huskies works much better, and that's a big consideration for Australian (ultra) hardwood - lots of very fine powder dust - I sold my Stihl FarmBoss years ago to get a Husky, and have not looked back - IMO (a lot of others also) better ergonomics and balance, and faster revving motors - better accessories, and at least equal in reliability

If you don't mind spending a few more dollars, I'd go for a professional saw - you'll forget the extra dollars soon enough, and the saw will give you years of trouble-free / high performance running

I'd also be a bit generous with the cc's - probably mid-high 50s to mid 70s, depending on how much big hardwood you're cutting - 70+ is good if sectioning big trunks (eg red box in pic below) - you can get a couple of different bars, and swap those over when cutting smaller stuff

IMG_2974.JPG

Back