New Chainsaws on Ebay (and warrenties)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dotshouse

Reaction score
Hello to all,

Thanks to all those who posted responses to my last thread, you definitely help to confuse me more on which saw to purchase, just kidding. Going into this, I had no idea about the rise and fall of certain brands and loyalty, rightfully so, behind Stihl and the others. My first instinct is usually to buy the top and better my odds of completing the job without problems but there is a pretty large difference in prices and the needs of the job to be considered as well.

All that being said, my real question is about buying new saws off Ebay, mostly Echo, and peoples experience. I know I was reading a thread a night or two ago, but now of course I can't find it, from someone who acknowledged Stihl's quality but also, Echo's for the price. They also mentioned getting their last saw, an Echo, off Ebay because of the unbeatable price. This I have confirmed. I looked and found some pretty good deals on Echo's, also found some new Husqvarna's and even a couple new Stihl's.

This also raised the question of warranties and filling in cards and dealers and everything. This was discussed quite a bit in the thread, but again, I can't seem to find it. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
DD

What I think you should do first would be-

Go to your local saw shop, or small engine dealer and ask them if they will work on saws under warranty that you did not purchase from them.

Knowing their answer will give you an idea of whether or not saving a few dollars is worth it in the event of an unforseen occurence.

Chuck

Go to your local saw shop, or small engine dealer and ask them if they will work on saws under warranty that you did not purchase from them.

Knowing their answer will give you an idea of whether or not saving a few dollars is worth it in the event of an unforseen occurence.

Chuck

Chuck has just given you the best advise that anybody could offer!

The way I see it, the low price you get buying on eBay IS your warranty.

Many of us here immediately void the warranty on every saw we buy anyway, either with muffler work or full-on piston and cylinder modifications. So for someone who is going to do this, the added cost of a warrantied product is hardly worth paying. But for Joe Homeowner who will be carrying his saw in to the shop every time something "funny" happens with it or who fills it up with last summer's mix gas and can't figure out why it won't run properly, and who wants his saw to be looked at and repaired for free, the advantages of buying from the same person who is going to provide service is probably money well-spent.

Last edited:

Many of us here immediately void the warranty on every saw we buy anyway, either with muffler work or full-on piston and cylinder modifications.

I'm not sure if "many" is the correct term. I would have to guess that its a minute number of members here that have any muffler or cylinder modifications done to their saw.

Last edited:
the local Husky/Stihl shop (camino power tool) will service your saw if you don't buy it at their place. But it goes below saws purchased there. Which may mean 2 month wait in the busy times

Chuck

Don't they HAVE to work on them to keep their dealership ?

I think a call to the Main Company would sttle any questions on that .

Not all dealership agreements state that they must work on all products that come through your door. Even if a dealer must fix the product as stated in a dealer agreement some may do it when they are good and ready! We work on everything regardless of where it was purchased, but I know of many dealers who do not!

Interesting that you chose capitals for "have". It is indicative of an attitude that doesn't play very well with dealers, and is unlikely to get you prompt service, if you get any at all. Sometimes just asking if a dealer would look at your saw will get you a lot farther than telling him what he has to do.

Regardless of where you buy a unit, you would be better off with a dealer who "wants" to work on your saw, than one who "has" to work on it. Pressing the issue and/or calling the OEM really won't get you the desired results either. It just exacerbates a confrontational situation. Plus, the dealer still has the upper hand if it becomes a pissing contest.

BTW, seeing the Jonsered in your avatar, their dealer agreement clearly states that dealers are not required to work on any units they did not sell.

Many of us here immediately void the warranty on every saw we buy anyway, either with muffler work or full-on piston and cylinder modifications. So for someone who is going to do this, the added cost of a warrantied product is hardly worth paying.

+1 I couldn't have said it better.

I don't think I'd want to go into a dealership and tell them that they MUST work on my saw, or else I'm ratting them out to whichever factory they work under. I'd suspect I'd get a saw back in a state worse than when it went in, or a bill that could have covered several new saws, or a very long wait before they get around to it, or finally, all of the above!!! :biggrinbounce2:

Interesting that you chose capitals for "have". It is indicative of an attitude that doesn't play very well with dealers, and is unlikely to get you prompt service, if you get any at all. Sometimes just asking if a dealer would look at your saw will get you a lot farther than telling him what he has to do.

Regardless of where you buy a unit, you would be better off with a dealer who "wants" to work on your saw, than one who "has" to work on it. Pressing the issue and/or calling the OEM really won't get you the desired results either. It just exacerbates a confrontational situation. Plus, the dealer still has the upper hand if it becomes a pissing contest.

BTW, seeing the Jonsered in your avatar, their dealer agreement clearly states that dealers are not required to work on any units they did not sell.

No it keeps small people with big heads under control I have found, and guarantees excellent work if they know what is good for them.

+1 I couldn't have said it better.

I don't think I'd want to go into a dealership and tell them that they MUST work on my saw, or else I'm ratting them out to whichever factory they work under. I'd suspect I'd get a saw back in a state worse than when it went in, or a bill that could have covered several new saws, or a very long wait before they get around to it, or finally, all of the above!!! :biggrinbounce2:

You must not have any small claims courts in your area. I would just prove the saw was messed up and take a few thousand from them for making me do the work.

Consumers HAVE rights.

I bought a Buick once and went to a dealership and asked to have some warranty work done, they asked if I bought it there , I said no.

They said take it to the place you bought it.

I said I moved since I bought it .. if you want to keep that Buick sign out front it will be fixed and fixed right or else.

They fixed it. One just has to stand up for their rights against pin heads who think they can do whatever they want whenever they want.

Last edited:
Wow. As a very small service company I tend to shy away from folks who tell me how it "has" to be done. I told a customer once that his wife knew it all already, so they didn't need me.

Yes, I get stuck in the odd situation but, it sure is nice to work with folks who are nice to work with.;)

99.9% of the people I work with are great. I can give you exact names of that .1% who I avoid like the plague.

Last edited:
Saws and Warranties

If you buy a Saw on saw eBay or somewhere other than the factory authorized venues you may not be able to get warranty service.

IF the person you bought it from was an authorized dealer and you have a receipt with the model, serial number and date of purchase etc. you SHOULD be ok.

If a customer comes in with a unit that needs warranty work (the manufacturer goofed up, their fault and not the customer's) the dealer will want to make sure that everything is in order so that the dealer can actually get paid. This means that if the unit only has a product registration then it matches the customer's information (we call the factory to verify this information).

Our standing policy is that if it wasn't purchased from us (we keep all new equipment information forever) then we require a receipt. If the customer cannot hang on to the receipt for their shiny new unit then why should I jump through hoops.

What is comes down to is whether the company will pay us for the warranty repairs. When in doubt, we collect $$$ from the customer for the repair and will refund their bill if/when the manufacturer pays us.

I run into this issue often. Being active duty Army and moving every 2 years I have never had anything serviced at the place of purchase. Generally I simply explain my situation and receive prompt service. The only time I did not get a positive response was with my saw at my local pro-saw dealer. I realize that my consumer grade saw is not what they want to work on but instead of telling me that up front, they accepted the saw, waited for me to call on a status and then told me that they did not want to work on it. To top it off they kept my long T-handled torx wrench that I leave in the case. When confronted they replied that the wrench was not on the service ticket and therefore must not have been in the case. I doubt that this is indicative of all dealers of this specific manufacturer but it will take me a while to overcome my newly formed prejudice.
Sorry for the rant. Newbie-itis taking control.

Good customer service is important.

JAS

You must not have any small claims courts in your area. I would just prove the saw was messed up and take a few thousand from them for making me do the work.

Consumers HAVE rights.

I bought a Buick once and went to a dealership and asked to have some warranty work done, they asked if I bought it there , I said no.

They said take it to the place you bought it.

I said I moved since I bought it .. if you want to keep that Buick sign out front it will be fixed and fixed right or else.

They fixed it. One just has to stand up for their rights against pin heads who think they can do whatever they want whenever they want.

SAP? Is it really you????

Your gambling.....

Dotshouse,
I've purchased new & used saws from Ebay with mixed results. I would suggest that you buy (new) from a servicing dealer reguardless of local or internet. That way you can ship your saw back to that dealer if the local dealer doesn't want to work on a saw you purchased elsewhere. You just have to understand that you're gambling the money you saved vs. the freight charge and turnaround time if it has issues. Some people have backup saws and can fix most things themselves so the gamble is worth it.

Last edited:
Back