New Chainsaws on Ebay (and warrenties)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't they HAVE to work on them to keep their dealership ?

I think a call to the Main Company would sttle any questions on that .

Nope. Independent dealers (for Stihl) don't "have" to work on anything... Most do, but unelss it has proof of purchase from a dealer or warrenty card, the user will probably pay.

It's only happened twice in two years to us; one the warranty was o.k.; the other was not.

Last edited:
You must not have any small claims courts in your area. I would just prove the saw was messed up and take a few thousand from them for making me do the work.

Consumers HAVE rights.

I bought a Buick once and went to a dealership and asked to have some warranty work done, they asked if I bought it there , I said no.

They said take it to the place you bought it.

I said I moved since I bought it .. if you want to keep that Buick sign out front it will be fixed and fixed right or else.

They fixed it. One just has to stand up for their rights against pin heads who think they can do whatever they want whenever they want.

Ah yes. Just as I expected, you took the bait and comfirmed what I had suspected about your attitude. "Or else", "pin heads". This is indeed comical, and really does remind me of Sap, as another member suggested.

We just have so much fun with people like you that come strutting in the store like you're the Prince of Wales thinking that you are in a position to make demands and tell us what we have to do. One of the things that is so wonderful about the English language is that it provides so many different ways to blow off people like you. Rather than aggrevation, people such as yourself are really a source of entertainment.

You clearly don't really know how the game is played, and you would be easily overmatched with most dealers. Only someone with a box store mentality who rolls over at the slightest sign of a tear in the customers eye would put up with your approach. Just think how silly you would look in court "proving" what went wrong with the saw when your adversary is factory certified technician. Squirming little creatures who are looking to drag someone to court for something like this are just pathetic examples of a deteriorating society. The tattle-tale who never grew up. Call the company, call your lawyer. You seem to enjoy confrontation, but you obviously lack the fortitude to handle things yourself.

Please visit my store, we haven't had a good one in a while. And get rid of the Jonsered logo, it's kind of like seeing it on an outhouse.

+1000!!!!!

Rat: My boss would tell you to shove it, if he didn't shove it (the saw) up you first :hmm3grin2orange:

I'd likely tell you the same thing, but in a much more gentle fashion. If you have a problem with a manufacturer, take it up with them - not the underpaid independent dealers. I give out Stihl's top secret 800 number (o.k., so it's in the catalog..) a few times year.. and even the name of the guy to ask for.

Last edited:
+1000!!!!!

Rat: My boss would tell you to shove it, if he didn't shove it (the saw) up you first :hmm3grin2orange:

I'd likely tell you the same thing, but in a much more gentle fashion. If you have a problem with a manufacturer, take it up with them - not the underpaid independent dealers. I give out Stihl's top secret 800 number (o.k., so it's in the catalog..) a few times year.. and even the name of the guy to ask for.

Don't you guys take me wrong , I'm a pleasant enough fellow, I just don't take crap from a guy that I am going to be paying. The fact that I am paying him means I am his boss, this plus the fact that if you are a dealer you have some responsibilities -- if you don't want them, stop being a dealer.

Not everyone is going to buy from a dealer when they can get 75- 100 $ off the same saw some dealer is trying to sell off at a high price.

The fact that I am paying him means I am his boss

In your dreams.... your mama didn't bring you up nice at all..

Not everyone is going to buy from a dealer when they can get 75- 100 $ off the same saw some dealer is trying to sell off at a high price.

So.. if we're not dealing you can take care of your own warranty work. No problem at my end.

In reality... it's about attitude, not money. If you project an attitude (like "you work for me - I'm paying"), you'll get run out; be nice, heck, might even give you a cup of coffee or two. Might even call Stihl and beg a warranty for you even if you don't have one... Your PITA $100 isn't worth the 99 other customers that are decent guys (those that recognize that any business is tough, and the employees are making a pittance).. In any case, occasionally running someone out of the store breaks up the monotony...;)

Last edited:
Don't you guys take me wrong , I'm a pleasant enough fellow, I just don't take crap from a guy that I am going to be paying. The fact that I am paying him means I am his boss, this plus the fact that if you are a dealer you have some responsibilities -- if you don't want them, stop being a dealer.

The guy you're paying? I thought we were talking about warranty work?

There's a big difference between the two, especially when any measure of diagnostic work is contemplated in the case of the warranty repair. A guy with a busy shop doesn't need the aggrivation of warranty work when there is other work waiting to be handled. The more time I spend hanging out with my saw shop's owner the more sympathy I have for the margins on machines, parts and billable service work (i.e. usually an amount of time less than the actual time required to diagnose and troubleshoot and repair) that they make. EDIT: I cannot imagine how a saw shop would even be able to stay in business without primarily deriving sales and service from bulk orders from municipalities and tree service companies - 40 MS200t and 20 MS361 at one shot, for example. It takes a lot of MS180 homeowner buyers to equal an order like that. The amount of overhead that a good saw shop has for its facilities, parts, product, and whatnot, it is a daunting undertaking! I can't blame someone for not wanting to put a tech on a warranty project that may end up taking an hour but only pay $35+parts (to say nothing for waiting for reimbursement).

As for paid work, now that's another matter. You should not be given BS or the runaround on paid work, ever. You know, I'd love to see a graduated pricing scale for paid work, with prompt next-day service being billed at a higher rate than next-week service. I know that there have been instances where I've needed/wanted something worked on, whether OPE or a car or whatever, and would gladly pay a higher rate for faster service. I'm already doing it anyway, like slipping the service department guy a fifty to see that my car gets finished faster, so why not capitalize on this sentiment and turn it into profits for the business?

Last edited:
You know, I'd love to see a graduated pricing scale for paid work, with prompt next-day service being billed at a higher rate than next-week service.

I'm going to run with this idea. From this day forth, all service work will be held for 1 week. You will then be asked to bid on the hourly rate you want to pay; I'll sort all the responses highest to lowest ( no response means no work), and immediately start on the highest paying work. Big cash tip in the form of dead presidents will get you to the front of the line, no matter what attitude you cop. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :laugh: :laugh:

Been here again and again!!!!! Seems no one listens!!!!!!!!!

THERE IS NO MONEY IN WARANTEE WORK!!!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!! They pay pennies on the dollar!!!!

AGAIN, I worked at a small JD dealership, we were "required" to warantee machines sold at HD and Lowes, we told customers to "take it back where you bought it", that was store policy!!!! We didn't make a dime on anything!!!! They got the credit, and anything we fixed, we got paid for, but NO diagnostic time!!! How do you know whats wrong without figuring it out first? Want to know how "flat rate" works? They put a mechanic in a 6' circle with the parts he needs to repair it. They time him four times. The fastest of these is flat rate!!!
Buy a saw off of ebay, need it fixed? You'd better be ready to pay!!!!!! And don't expect any sympathy from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THERE IS NO MONEY IN WARANTEE WORK!!!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!! They pay pennies on the dollar!!!!

+100000

That goes for auto dealers too. We lose our azz most of the time for warrenty work. Nothing like spending 4 hours on a job to get paid 1 hour for:cry:

On another note, if all you bring your new car in for is warrenty work you will be treated different. That is not saying it won't get fixed but it may take a little longer:)

In reality... it's about attitude, not money. If you project an attitude (like "you work for me - I'm paying"), you'll get run out; be nice, heck, might even give you a cup of coffee or two. Might even call Stihl and beg a warranty for you even if you don't have one...
I spent decades working at car dealerships, so I understand warranty repairs.
I bought a cheap Homelite roto-tiller on line. Then I blew up the clutch under warranty. I brought it to my local Homelite dealer and asked if they could fix it. I told them I knew they lost money on warranty repairs and left a $20 to buy the crew lunch. They fixed it promptly, I thanked them profusely. I think everybody was happy.

--
"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind." - Jack Handy

+100000

That goes for auto dealers too. We lose our azz most of the time for warrenty work. Nothing like spending 4 hours on a job to get paid 1 hour for:cry:

On another note, if all you bring your new car in for is warrenty work you will be treated different. That is not saying it won't get fixed but it may take a little longer:)

I disagree - if the job says it takes 3,35 hours to remove said part in a manual , they get paid 3.35 hours labor. You dealers are running amok here trying to make up things so you can still gouge people. Shameful .

If things are so bad .. stop being dealers, people need honest ,hard working dealers, not Mr. Bad Wrenches. JMO

I disagree - if the job says it takes 3,35 hours to remove said part in a manual , they get paid 3.35 hours labor. You dealers are running amok here trying to make up things so you can still gouge people. Shameful .

If things are so bad .. stop being dealers, people need honest ,hard working dealers, not Mr. Bad Wrenches. JMO

:notrolls2:​

The book time does not include time for cleaning the crud off of components, diagnostic dime, final testing time. Fortunately for you most technicians like to do quality work. They like to clean components before introducing contamination into your engine or assemblies. They like to properly diagnose problems before mindlessly throwing parts at a machine, and they like to test the machine out after the job is done. To proplerly test a machine it must be completely up to operating temperature and tested for a few cycles under load. I like to even let some jobs sit over night and test them again the next day. Now your 3.35 hour job just took 5 hours to complete.

Before you mindlessly spout off your values you should try to work in a service department where you give 100% effort to ensure that customers get quality repairs and value for there money while trying to feed your family. Let me know how you make out!

Wrong

Warrenty does NOT work like that. The maker tells you how much you will get paid. If it takes longer they don't care.

You sound like a squeaker to me:laugh:

I bought a cheap Homelite roto-tiller on line. Then I blew up the clutch under warranty. I brought it to my local Homelite dealer and asked if they could fix it. I told them I knew they lost money on warranty repairs and left a $20 to buy the crew lunch. They fixed it promptly, I thanked them profusely. I think everybody was happy.

Yup, I recall a wise man once saying something about catching more flies with honey than vinegar.

Don't know what he wanted with all them flies though. :confused: :laugh:

So some dealers got caught in a lie (we don't make nothing on repairs - to - we need to spend time cleaning off crud that we don't get paid to do)

I rest my case, some of you are making Home Depot Husky's look real good, you all better stop now before you remove all doubt .

And please stop using your troll accounts to respond to this post.

So some dealers got caught in a lie (we don't make nothing on repairs - to - we need to spend time cleaning off crud that we don't get paid to do)

I rest my case, some of you are making Home Depot Husky's look real good, you all better stop now before you remove all doubt .

And please stop using your troll accounts to respond to this post.

What you should rest is your keyboard as you are making a bigger fool out of yourself with each post.

You haven't "caught" anyone here in a lie, because no one is lying. The problem is that you can't accept any reality that is contrary to whatever conspiracies/fantasies you have dreamed up in your mind. You are way out of line to suggest that other members are lying.

BTW, Huskys are sold in Lowes, not Home Depot. You gotta work a little harder on getting your facts straight if you want to be taken seriously on this forum.

Back