new chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tropical

Reaction score
Greetings from Trinidad&Tobago. We are hoping to bring in a 6inch chipper and have decided on a vermeer Bc6ooxL. i know its small but we have to make afirst start and its for pruning work and must be hiway towable. Please ,how does it compare with other 6" machines and will sticky sap as in mango trees cause problems.

be very very wary on how much hp it has, a machine uses a fair amount just to run the cutting disk,whatever you have left is chipping power.

a_lopa said:
be very very wary on how much hp it has, a machine uses a fair amount just to run the cutting disk,whatever you have left is chipping power.
what are you talking about. the cutting disk is the main chipping component. this is what does all the chipping. what ever you have left is for the feed wheel to pull the brush into the disc or drum.
make sure you demo the machine first on a job that will put it to the test. at least an hour or more and then you could figure out if its worthy.

The Hydraulic pump is the first power demand on these chippers. running the disk without load absorbs zero horsepower. the hydraulics are very simple on these, but will draw about 4 hp average. if you've got a 20 hp kohler that leaves you with 16 hp to chip... not a lot...
try some other manufacturers machines before you buy

I like vermeer products,but i like there service/after care even better!! if you happen to get a problem with the machine TROPICAL they WILL fix it where ever you are..I have been buying vermeer products for years, i have looked at this machine and i am certain this chipper will work very well for you..BUT like all machinery if you mis-treat it or don't service it it will breakdown..good luck with your purchase

By the way i like mangoes from Trinidad ,we get sent over the very sweet little green ones [even when fully ripe] there much better than the big ones from Jamaica...

Try a Bandit 65XL

We just sold a Bandit 65XL with 31 hp Briggs and dual feed rolls and motors. It was the best chipping 6" I have ever seen. In fact, I would dare say it would keep up with any 9" in 6" wood. Give one a try.

I spose I'd get bashed for recomending a chuck and duck....

Thor, keeping the disc up to speed does require some HP, albeit only a HP or 2. Resistance in the bearings and from the air.

NeTree-not at all. I have seen and used a few different machines, I really like the BC1000, the little Vermeer with the 2cyl. v-twin was slower than the second coming. But no one can argue that the Whisper with the Ford straight 6 is not the most dependable, reliable chipper ever made. They just keep on chipping, load after load, easy to work on, tons of parts kicking around.

NeTree said:
I spose I'd get bashed for recomending a chuck and duck....

Thor, keeping the disc up to speed does require some HP, albeit only a HP or 2. Resistance in the bearings and from the air.

Correct. My bad.
If you like C+D's, check out the dynamic Conehead C+D.....

Back