New climber problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApprenticeCowboy

Reaction score
So first I will introduce myself since I am new to the boards but have lurked a little bit in the past. I am a 2 year guy in the tree business and have done pretty well. I have a great reputation as a hard worker and for learning fast and being mature. The kind of guy my boss never wonders if im working when he leaves me alone for a day or even several with no supervision (his words). Ive even been given crews to run on several projects mainly running heavy equipment because im an ace at operating. However, my interest has pushed me to climb within the past few months to further my skill set and keep me interested with the job. So Ive climbed very sporadically the past few months and it started with me buying my own gear teaching myself more knots and learning how a climbing system actually works. I more or less self taught at home and did a few climbs at work. Now, Ive been put on a full time climbing crew as one of the climbers two weeks ago. I did well. Everyone including my boss and the other senior climber said im really starting to get good and look great. First let me start by saying Im doing right of way work mainly Electric utility and now clearing for radio towers. I have no issues with heights or trusting my gear. I will go to the top in tiny wood and swing to another tree to work that one.

Unfortunately today I think I was in over my head or maybe I was living in my head too much. We had large pines to remove. All between 85-100' and 30" diameter on most. Ive been up in oaks and maples at roughly 70' and had no real issues. Earlier in the morning I did like a 5 stem birch that was all over and probably about 55'. Went up the middle stem tied in blew the top and then swung to the other 4 and did the same. So next were the "large" pines. I gaffed up one 30' and then was told to come down because I was too close to the climber in the next pine so I gaffed back down and it was lunch time anyway. After lunch I now went to a different pine this time and started climbing. I gaffed up and got to around 25' ish and for whatever reason my head wasn't in it anymore. I cannot stand in my gaffs for long periods of time. I understand its not comfortable but it was burning bad enough that I knew I couldn't finish the tree and I just did not want to try working this tree with my mind distracted like that. I came down and felt like such a failure. Granted Ive only been climbing consistently these past two weeks but I know what to do I just couldn't "deal" with the discomfort today. It didn't help that the other guy psyched me out the day before saying how we were gonna be doing huge pines and how I was gonna be feeling it.

I don't have steel inserts in my loggers boots so my foot is flexing around the stirrup the whole time. So any advice how to #1) alleviate SOME of the pain I feel on gaffs and #2 keep my mindset positive and focused on getting the work done. I know more time in gaffs doing removals is part of it but my confidence took a kick to the gut today. Also, I need to work on getting myself in better positions and more solid saw technique. My rotator cuffs are blown out from military service so running a saw is difficult at times. I have trouble holding even the weight of a climber saw up to make a nice cut at shoulder level sometimes yet I can bench press double my weight. Even using a handsaw will give my hands fits because of Im assuming some type of carpal tunnel. Maybe I am just not a climber?

Just and add on that I was just thinking about. Possibly my work boots that I use are too big theres actually a few inches between my toes and the toe of the boot. So my thinking is that even though the stirrup is sitting properly on the boot right before that logger heel, its putting pressure on a different part of the foot than it was designed. Maybe im just making an excuse but it was a fair amount of pain.

I experienced the same pains when I first started as well. I had to get better pads for my spurs and make sure your boot has a decent heel for your spur to sit in. I had crazy pain in my hands and forearms as well. I think a lot of that my body just had to get used to it. I find a good pair of grippy gloves really helps my hands.

Also don't be ashamed about having to come down. Especially when you're new to it. There are many potential mistakes that can be made with bad consequences. So if you aren't there mentally or physically at that point in time, it's not worth it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

When your heads not in the game the best thing to do is come down. I've seen guys do it with years of experience. Sounds like you might be getting thrown into some things you might not be ready for. That's nothing to be ashamed of. Tree work is called a profession for a reason. And it don't happen over night.

I experienced the same pains when I first started as well. I had to get better pads for my spurs and make sure your boot has a decent heel for your spur to sit in. I had crazy pain in my hands and forearms as well. I think a lot of that my body just had to get used to it. I find a good pair of grippy gloves really helps my hands.

Also don't be ashamed about having to come down. Especially when you're new to it. There are many potential mistakes that can be made with bad consequences. So if you aren't there mentally or physically at that point in time, it's not worth it.

I don't regret my decision to come down because In my mind and still thinking about it now it was the safest thing at that time. I do feel bad because personally it was a hurdle I wanted to complete and also peer pressure and showing the other guy I can keep up which I had the past two weeks to this point. Hes far and away much better, faster, experienced climber but I was matching him almost tree for tree previously. Now we get to something he finds easy and I just had to acknowledge my limitations at this point in my career. The least productive climber is the dead and or inured one. He didn't give me any flack especially considering I did the tree he didn't want to do because he finds spread out trees annoying. I don't mind that stuff but 90+ ft. straight hike and stand in gaffs im not used to yet. I think I will try another pair of boots properly sized with a steel insert and see if they support my stirrup better. Actually thinking of it my gaffs hurt my feet like crazy even when im not gaffed in....

It was a smart decision. The comfort comes with time and experience. I doubt any climber would give you flak for it, everyone should remember what it was like to learn.

When your heads not in the game the best thing to do is come down. I've seen guys do it with years of experience. Sounds like you might be getting thrown into some things you might not be ready for. That's nothing to be ashamed of. Tree work is called a profession for a reason. And it don't happen over night.

That was my thought too, I had a bad sense last week about climbing too because we had zero guys on the ground (just incase) and separated on a right of way and my first time climbing with that level of production expected. I felt like it was a little too much too soon but I did okay with it. The start of this week I felt good, I enjoyed all my climbs and felt faster and smoother and just better overall. Until we started this project and I felt overwhelmed without admitting it.

Don't feel bad or as if you failed. You're possibly alive today because of that decision. Accidents are more common when we're tired and or rushing. Safety first, always. That pine isn't worth it, it will be there tomorrow. Last Friday we were on hour 11 or so, two of our other groundsmen were felling a smaller tree, they were exhausted and rushing. The tree spun and hit one guy in the knee, he was still feeling it Monday.

But for sure get properly sized for a proper boot, they should feel like your favorite underwear, just snug enough to support but not tight enough to make you walk funny.

Boots a huge if you are looking at this for a PROFESSION invest big dollars and look for a pair of wescos or whites both can be custom made to fit perfectly and made for the purpose of climbing and good arch support. Nerves get the best of anyone do not worry

Boots a huge if you are looking at this for a PROFESSION invest big dollars and look for a pair of wescos or whites both can be custom made to fit perfectly and made for the purpose of climbing and good arch support. Nerves get the best of anyone do not worry
Nicks is a good option too.

Wow totally forgot about nicks. That will be next pair I have the others already. I forgot to mention that with all three pairs the boots can be rebuilt and re soled where so you can get years and years of service out of this investment.

Every honest climber will tell you they've had trees that got in there head or days they just weren't feeling it. Don't stress over that, especially considering how new this is to you. As far as your spurs go, the right boots and tweaking your pads and shank length will fix that, along with better technique over time.

My concern is your rotator cuffs and carpal tunnel issues. If they're bugging you this much at this point, fast forward a year, or 2, or 10. Those issues probably won't go away, but get worse instead. At 27, you've got a long time to go, how bad do you want to hurt down the road?

Don't gaff back down a spar if you have the option of descending on a friction hitch or figure 8.
Give your feet a rest every once in awhile - take the pressure off them by gaffing out and sitting back in your saddle supported by your lanyard / climbing line. Even periodically taking the pressure off a foot by standing on a limb or branch stub will alleviate pain.
Caddy pads are good. If your foot is slopping around in your boot you're screwed; get insoles or extra socks or whatever. Steel shank boots for sure.
And cinch those spurs up nice and tight on your boots - if they are loose, it makes for an uncomfortable climb.
I spend most days doing removals on spurs, but after 6+ hours, the novelty starts to wear off.

When my head isn't in it or something doesn't feel right I just get comfortable where ever I'm at in the tree and enjoy a little "tree time" to think it over. Maybe eat a snack or drink some water. Usually after a while (sometimes 15-20 minutes) I either chill out and get back onto my A game or come up with a better plan I feel more comfortable with. Sometimes I'm just too wiped out metally or physically, if its near the end of the day I will just bag it, otherwise I go do something else for a bit, or tackle an easier tree. Sometimes it is just me being a baby, other times stopping to think it over kept me from doing something dumb. Either way trying to get my head straight in the tree is usually preferable to doing it on the ground and having to climb back up later...

When my head isn't in it or something doesn't feel right I just get comfortable where ever I'm at in the tree and enjoy a little "tree time" to think it over. Maybe eat a snack or drink some water. Usually after a while (sometimes 15-20 minutes) I either chill out and get back onto my A game or come up with a better plan I feel more comfortable with. Sometimes I'm just too wiped out metally or physically, if its near the end of the day I will just bag it, otherwise I go do something else for a bit, or tackle an easier tree. Sometimes it is just me being a baby, other times stopping to think it over kept me from doing something dumb. Either way trying to get my head straight in the tree is usually preferable to doing it on the ground and having to climb back up later...
Lmfao normally if I'm dillying up in a tree I have 4 hours of brush on the ground unless its 105 with 118 heat index then shout at me to see if i move:surprised3: I have found at the end of a long nightmare tree and day the last cut is 90% more dangerous than any cut that day, so unless its finished with that cut, it will be there in my am!

Lmfao normally if I'm dillying up in a tree I have 4 hours of brush on the ground unless its 105 with 118 heat index then shout at me to see if i move:surprised3: I have found at the end of a long nightmare tree and day the last cut is 90% more dangerous than any cut that day, so unless its finished with that cut, it will be there in my am!
Sounds like you need a new groundie, work in Alaska much?

had my senior moment with my spurs today:rolleyes:,, putt'em on same as i done for 30 plus years I suddenly felt thought to think hmm this feels wrong.....the leather foot buckle strap had come out and i'd put it in backwards so it had me head ****ed :dumb2:why they felt all wonky ??? it really took me a few moments to figure it out as its sumthin i can do in the dark,,,, so,,,,,,,, perhaps you got yours on wrong way anyhoo check this :cheers:

Latest posts

Back