New climber problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time is most certainly a luxury, as is a full complement of fingers. Some trees ain't even worth the pay, let alone the risk to life and limb. A less tenured climber needs to trust their gut and think it over, an old salt has probably done it 10 different ways of on 100 different occassions leaving precious little to think about. Only way to become an old salt of course is to climb safe and stay in the game.

Sounds like you need a new groundie, work in Alaska much?
Sounds like you need a new groundie, work in Alaska much?
Me no never worked there my tree escapades occurred in Texas, Indiana,Michigan,Nebraska,Kansas, Missouri, And now in Arkansas! I suppose if the right offer came along I might become a duck and fly north for summer and south for winter :p

First off, the last thing you should be worried about it is your pace. Worry about the fundamentals and, once you've mastered those, you'll notice that your speed will increase greatly. Secondly, invest in good boots and even get some inserts if your feet hurt. For me, the pain was the result of being green and went away once my body was accustomed to the rigors of the job. Thought I will say that removals that take lots of time still make my feet ache. I've been climbing six years and I still have moments of "analysis paralyses". When it happens I just stop, take a breath and think about all the other trees I've already done. It sort of puts the whole tree into perspective.

I would say about once or twice a month I find myself in a tree asking myself, why am I doing this? Why did I choose to be a "tree man," and it's always in a tall conifer. I think it's nerves and anxiety that make me ask this. Bright side : trees on the ground and I feel good about it. I would say the point is we are human, there's always times we second guess ourselves.

I would say about once or twice a month I find myself in a tree asking myself, why am I doing this? Why did I choose to be a "tree man," and it's always in a tall conifer. I think it's nerves and anxiety that make me ask this. Bright side : trees on the ground and I feel good about it. I would say the point is we are human, there's always times we second guess ourselves.
When you stop second guessing yourself you tend to end up dead. When you get over confident and think you have it licked that is the point you make a dumb move.

When you stop second guessing yourself you tend to end up dead. When you get over confident and think you have it licked that is the point you make a dumb move.
What about when you start forgetting which day it is , what u did ten minutes ago ,where you put your madson rope puller? Oh and your not stoned like 25 years back :p

Latest posts

Back