New - CS-310 came with no Cat in muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davefr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So, I picked up a brand new Echo CS-310 and decided to pull the muffler to take a peak inside for a future muffler mod. Lo and behold there is no cat in the muffler. It's just a baffle with lots of holes. It doesn't even look too restrictive for such a small saw. Anyone know why Echo eliminated the Cat's? I'm not sure there are any gains to be had from a non Cat muffler mod.

Must be a quality control issue, surely no one would put such a terrible polluter in a box and sell it.
They do actually make a CS353 which is a CS352 without the cat, hard to find one though, and the
310 is the same saw with a smaller output, easy to see how the wrong part could end op on the
assembly line, wish my 352 had the cat missing, I sold it on though but would have kept it if the cat
was gone, didn't want to tamper with the exhaust so got my job done and sold it.
My CS352 had no limiters on the carb, I think the 310 does, has yours, I got sent a 352 by accident
but it was echo 's fault so they let me keep it for the same price, selling it made me a profit.

I went to Echo parts and it looks like they had two different muffler part numbers for the CS-310 depending on the serial number. Just curious why?

If he is not big on sharpening chains there is a Powersharp bar and chain that fits it and has a "cassette" with a sharpening stone that fits on the tip of the bar. You just clamp that cassette on the tip of the bar, push against it and rev the saw up - sharp chain in seconds. Don't push it hard enough to flex the bar though or it will sharpen unevenly and cut to one side. Makes it really easy to sharpen the chain.

A friend is looking at the cs 310 since he's getting up there in age. Any pros cons of the saw would be appreciated and real world experience. Thanks!
Same here. Starts cold on the 3rd pull every single time. It has an easy start feature which is light as a feather.
I eliminated the Cat in mine and tuned the carb after removing the anti tamper device on the mixture screws.
Well built saw with plenty of power and light weight.
I was getting some fine dust through the filter so I add grease to the union between filter and carb.

Back