New cs400 owner,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htapaha

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently purchased a brand new cs400, pretty neat saw.
Was just wondering if y'all had any advice on this particular chainsaw that would be much appreciated.
I'm familiar with chainsaws but have not owned one for myself.
My family was using axes and hand tools to haul wood in our area, so purchasing this saw makes me the lazy one, haha
Anyway, I would appreciate your kind words and wisdom on overall chainsaw ownership

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Welcome to chainsaw ownership. If you don't already have them, go buy chaps. Don't "think about it", or "put them on the list". Buy them. Wear them.

Regarding that saw in particular, I don't know personally, but it's said that Echo tunes their saws too lean from the factory. That means the carb is not delivering enough fuel, which makes the saw run too hot. They do this to meet EPA emissions standards. Common knowledge here is that you need to retune the saw for it to run safely.

The long and short of it is that there's plastic limiters that prevent you from correctly tuning the saw. These need to be removed, trimmed and replaced (at least I think you replace them on this saw). Then the carb can be correctly adjusted. You should do some research on this site to understand how to remove the limiters and how to tune the carb. Doing this will make you a better, more informed operator and will make your chainsaw operate better and have a longer service life.

Not to "put you down " but youre phrasing "I'm familiar with chainsaws but have not owned one for myself." Screams to the skyes; that you know nothing about chainsaw, also, hence youre questiens here familiarity with that kind of power tools; takes 100's of hours off HANDS ON EXPERIENCE
My best advice would be : reading the manual, until you know every single page; even in your sleep, and then; read it again.
As some said earlyer; have it tuned properly, wear chaps/protectivetrousers , but the most important issue; Learn how to sharpen/ filing the chain
Ofcourse Apart from chaps, steelcap boots or equivalent foot protection.
But Ofcourse congratulations with youre New chainsaw

Yeah sounds like it right? I've used still and the huskies that my uncle had at his place, but I never had to deal with maintenance and repair so... I'm sorry I should've mention that "earlyer", I mean earlier.

I've probably, need to devote more time on chain sharpening, and tuning the saw. But I'm a fast learner, but if all goes well I'll be posting again soon! [emoji38]

Sorry for my spelling, I'm battling with the auto-spell, and im not local
We Denmarcians dont bother much on spelling , it seems more sensible to us to have hot loaded .44 mag or 45/70 gov. To teacher the Ursus Marinus some manners, when they get to nose, WITCH IS ALLWAYS

I hear ya bud, English is also my second language, as I'm native American.
We don't have polar bear problems, but we have cute rattlers out this way.

Back