New DHT 22 Ton owner!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Officer's Match

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My 24 year old son gave me a great surprise gift Sunday, a brand new DHT 22 Ton splitter! I had been looking at splitters for quite a good while now, and have been very impressed by the responsiveness on this forum of DHT, as well as the shared experiences of other owners. For my purposes, the speed of the 22 easily outweighs the capacity of the 27 and obviously at a lower cost to boot.

I have ran it twice now and am very happy with what I have seen so far. The machine seems (for it's catagory) to be very robust, simple (in a good way) and well thought out. The owner's manual tube is a nice touch, and pieces/parts look to be off-the-shelf standard items for the most part. I also like the generous sized hydo reservoir and clear pickup tube.

Mine came from Lowes, and as such lacks the log catcher. I've looked at the one DHT offers and like the design, but wish it extended over the engine, as I'd rather have that protection as I can easily raise the beam to the vertical split configuration to fuel and/or service the engine. I'd love to see pic's of any homemade catchers for ideas.

So, here's what I have so far in pic's:

Thanks fella's, I have a pretty decent amount of good sized rounds of Ash that had to be dropped last year, already bucked to length (the M-Tronic loved that) to break up with it. Looking forward to some quality DHT time. :happybanana:

here is some pic of mods i did to mine.al's phone 001.jpg al's phone 005.jpg al's phone 007.jpg al's phone 006.jpg there is everything there now too drop,cut up and split.

sounds nice, at least the weather is getting warmer now and we can get them out on the road where they belong. hope you were not in the car when totalled.

So I made up a "table" solution for my log cradle. I used a wire industrial shelf from the racking in my printing shop, and fashioned some 2x2 legs to try it out (they are temporary until I make up some square metal tubing legs). Used it for an hour Sunday and it saved a lot of time/effort, and I really appreciate the extra area and engine protection. And it lifts one and off, so moving the splitter around is simple. I'll take some vid's next time out.

that looks like it will work out well for you.

Thanks, I think so. I like that it stands partially on the ground, partially transferring the weight of the logs onto it's own legs. Maybe DHT should consider this type of design as an accessory.

I got a new Speeco 22 ton. I shared a 27 ton with my dad and brother. There is no need for a bigger splitter because they dont build the 27 tons right. The 27 is slower but stronger but ya dont need much to split wood and it is in the wedge design that makes the wood splitter more efficient.You have the new type of wedge makes splitting so much easier than a straight wedge like we used to have.

You could tell that with the cover on?! :surprised3:

Not exactly, I missed by a few years.

Ran a couple of cords thru the DHT22 today, and I am completely thrilled by it's performance. Wedge literally sliced through some knots that ran sideways in some crotches. Pretty speedy for a hydro too. Beam is perfect height for me, and my homemade work table arrangement works like a charm. I rolled some big ones up a 2x12 ramp I have for my pickup truck and had plenty of room on the wire side table to work thru the big beast. Hit a few that were bigger than I wanted to roll up the ramp in the vertical mode and after quartering them went back to horizontal to finish them up.

For my purposes, a great piece of equipment. Thanks DHT.

I like the table idea, mine a dht 27 ton catcher is kinda small and split wood does drop off onto the motor from time to time I thought of making some thing longer.......

The great thing about the industrial wire shelving I used is the wood can easily be slid forward and out of the way to re-split other pieces. I ran another cord and a half this evening, and at one point after standing the beam up vertical to bust a 40" diameter piece into chunks, I put the beam back horizontal and split one quarter of that round without the table on and couldn't believe how much more work it was to handle the pieces. Another good trait of the wire shelf is it is completely self-cleaning.

Latest posts

Back