NEw Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic977

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hoping some one could shed some insite.

After much research and some suggestions here when I was looking for another saw, I bought a 7900 set up with a 24" bar, boy what a monster that thing is. It is very comfortable to run, and pulls that chain through a hard maple I took down, bought it for the bigger stuff and the 14' high stump on this tree yet. It tore right on through that thing, ate some chains up, but the price you pay for playing with 7' trees.

Any how what I am running into is it drinks fuel and oil like it is no bodies business. Now please keep in mind, I am comparing it to an MS361 with an 18" bar I have had for years. The guy I take my chains to is very well versed in the business, and suggested it needs 10 tanks or so run through it, I have met that and still cruising through the oil and fuel. The oil I attributed to running the 24" bar, not sure on the fuel. This thing comparatively really screams so maybe it is going to be normal, or maybe it has a smaller tank??

Any one got any thoughts??

Thanks

Hoping some one could shed some insite.

After much research and some suggestions here when I was looking for another saw, I bought a 7900 set up with a 24" bar, boy what a monster that thing is. It is very comfortable to run, and pulls that chain through a hard maple I took down, bought it for the bigger stuff and the 14' high stump on this tree yet. It tore right on through that thing, ate some chains up, but the price you pay for playing with 7' trees.

Any how what I am running into is it drinks fuel and oil like it is no bodies business. Now please keep in mind, I am comparing it to an MS361 with an 18" bar I have had for years. The guy I take my chains to is very well versed in the business, and suggested it needs 10 tanks or so run through it, I have met that and still cruising through the oil and fuel. The oil I attributed to running the 24" bar, not sure on the fuel. This thing comparatively really screams so maybe it is going to be normal, or maybe it has a smaller tank??

Any one got any thoughts??

Thanks

It does drink a little fuel/oil, but the tanks are small. Yours is normal...

Uhh, its 20ccs bigger and almost 2hp more, you get a big saw, its gonna drink. The size of the bar has nothing to do with oil usage. If you are running out of oil before you run out of gas, then turn the adjustable oiler down a notch. Otherwise leave it alone

You want to save fuel get the Stihl back out

It's not a case of worrying about fuel oil etc, just wanted to make sure no one with more experience with them thought it would be excessive. I love the stihl fantastic all around saw, but needed something with more guts so to speak to make sure I could get through the bigger nastier stuff I deal with. It was recommended, I likd it, I bought it, it is an absolute monster with anyting I have aimed it at, and I just wanted to make sure it was on target.

It's like the old V8's,

If you want the motor to produce the power it's capable of, you gotta feed it.

+1 on the bar oil suggestion. Make sure you're not running dry. 24 inch bars and chains ain't cheap. On my 7900 with the 28 inch B&C I run the oiler heavy and fill the gas about 3/4 full. First this makes sure the bar is getting plenty of oil and second it needs it because I only use that saw in big wood where the bar is going to be pretty well buried and lots of lube is critical.

If you're not cutting big stuff all the time you may want to drop down to a 20 inch B&C. Save weight, chain cost and sharpening time. Food for thought.

Take Care

thanks for the pointers, that was my thought, just wanted to make sure she was running right and ok, seems to have a smaller tank as well. It doesn;t run dry, but when I fill one the other gets topped off as well. The 361 is a great all around saw, I was after a saw for the bigger rounds, and felling, this one will definitely do the trick. Love it already, and it was 400 cheaper than the 460 power head here locally. The 24" B&C came from the dealer on it, so thinking they tuned it the right way before I left. Just wanted to make sure it was doing what it was supposed to on the oil and fuel.

THank you

If you still have the 361, then upgrade the 7900 to a 28", and you still won't run out of power or speed in the cut.

You will however, not have to bend over so much when limbing or bucking.

Later on you can mod the muffler to get even more out of the saw.

My 460 has its butt spanked repeatedly by the 7900, you made a great choice.

Last edited:
If you think that 7900 drinks gas, you aught to try my 3120.:laugh:
Actually the 7900 will out cut the 361 by enough, you should be getting more wood per gallon.
Sound's like your 7900 is right on par for fuel consumption.

Andy

If you think that 7900 drinks gas, you aught to try my 3120.:laugh:
Actually the 7900 will out cut the 361 by enough, you should be getting more wood per gallon.
Sound's like your 7900 is right on par for fuel consumption.

Andy

:agree2: I can easily burn up a gallon of gas a day with my 7900!
But when I'm done there is a whole lot of wood laying on the ground!
Just look at it this way- You get to take more frequent breaks!!!:cheers:

Thanks to all who have responded. as mentioned before, not really familiar with the dolmar, though I got to admit, with the performance I have seen out of this 7900, I will seriously consider dolmar again when I start to look for another saw. I think I am beginning with symptoms of CAD.

Thanks for the post. I just got a 7900. I was also surprised at how much gas it takes but I agree in just a few minutes there is a lot of wood on the ground. I agree I think I will stay with dolmar if I ever have the need for another saw but probably not. I got the 7900 with the thought of this being a great all around saw. I think it has preformed beyond my expectations

The oil and fuel tanks are normal sized for a 70 to 80cc saw, and your fuel oil consumption is also normal for a saw of that size. You may want to check the rpm's on you 361. Out of the box they're set way way to lean, and they will run a long time on a tank of fuel running that lean. If you have the carb set correctly the fuel consumption will go up a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy, that is an avenue I hadn't considered. I actually picked the 361 up last night from getting a once over, it is actually the first time it has been in the shop since I bought it, and Lord knows I have worked it. As I mentioned before, the 361 is a great all around saw, the 7900 is for the felling and bucking of the monster mucks that have to be quartered even to get the 24" to cut them up. The tree I finished off last weekend - since now power for 4 days thank you mother nature, I could not get all the way through it, had to quarter her up and then take the quarters in half to get it to the splitter without changing my voice to much. This is the first time I have had a saw of this size, figured all was normal, but wanted to make sure and not hurt it.

Thanks again for the idea on the 361.

It's not a case of worrying about fuel oil etc, just wanted to make sure no one with more experience with them thought it would be excessive. I love the stihl fantastic all around saw, but needed something with more guts so to speak to make sure I could get through the bigger nastier stuff I deal with. It was recommended, I likd it, I bought it, it is an absolute monster with anyting I have aimed it at, and I just wanted to make sure it was on target.

Nice choice! I think the fuel issue is more due too the tank not being all that big for the size of the saw. As far as oiling, I like too sling it and always have mine turned up. I think everything is normal for you. Enjoy! :cheers:

Thanks for the post. I just got a 7900. I was also surprised at how much gas it takes but I agree in just a few minutes there is a lot of wood on the ground. I agree I think I will stay with dolmar if I ever have the need for another saw but probably not. I got the 7900 with the thought of this being a great all around saw. I think it has preformed beyond my expectations

It is a super all rounder considering the weight/power ratio. A 7900 with a 20" bar is all I ever need for firewooding. Yes maybe a bit of overkill but they sure cut fast!:cheers:

Back