New England Lava climbing line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what-a-stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone climbed drt with Lava? How well do mechanical ascenders work through it?climbing with New England safety blue right now, and thinking about switching to New England's lava series, any opinions?

Has anyone climbed drt with Lava? How well do mechanical ascenders work through it?climbing with New England safety blue right now, and thinking about switching to New England's lava series, any opinions?

I havnt climbed on it yet. But I have been planning on trying it. I just wanted to point out that, to the best of my knowledge, Lava is Sherrill trees special design and name. The rope is Tachyon. I like the look of Lava cuz I am partial to the color blue. But other than the mantle pattern (color) it is the same rope. My point being....you can find the same rope , different color, different name,....cheaper. As far as the rope goes...I ialso would like some opions on it. If I am wrong about the Lava/Tachyon thing someone plz let me know.

The lave line is the most comfortable line I've ever used in my life. I would swear by it if it wasn't so frilly nilly to nicks, cuts, and scrapes. I say try it out but keep your spurs, pruning saw, and chain far away from it.

I havnt climbed on it yet. But I have been planning on trying it. I just wanted to point out that, to the best of my knowledge, Lava is Sherrill trees special design and name. The rope is Tachyon. I like the look of Lava cuz I am partial to the color blue. But other than the mantle pattern (color) it is the same rope. My point being....you can find the same rope , different color, different name,....cheaper. As far as the rope goes...I ialso would like some opions on it. If I am wrong about the Lava/Tachyon thing someone plz let me know.

I didn't know that, I guess that explains why I can only find Lava in the Sherrill catalog, thanks

Yup, this is a Tachyon rope re-branded by Sherrill as Lava. I have both and they look and feel the same with the exception of the special Lava colors. I use it and love it. Works well with my beeline eye to eye and Distel hitch. I occasionally run it through a Pantin foot ascender and it works well with that too. If rope weight matters to you it's a pretty light rope.

I've got a piece of tachyon that I use as my lanyard at present. I like it for that. It has a nice feel to it... rounder and smoother than a single braid like safety blue. I would definitely consider it as a climbing line, but I am in love with my poison ivy. Compared to the XTC I have to climb on at my current company, the tachyon is a winner, hands-down.

Tachyon/Lava and most doublebraided ropes run through mechanical devides pretty well, assuming they (the devices) are properly-sized. Just tried throwing an ascender on my tachyon, and it slid/bit very nicely. I used to use a mechanical adjuster at my hip with tachon and it worked very well too.

Also, fwiw, I have used ice and tenex split tails with my tachyon, with distel and knut hitches. Ice requires one more wrap for me than tenex does, but that is always the case.

Hope that helps.

Latest posts

Back