New equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I finally broke down and bought my own log truck and larger skidder last week. The truck is a 1980 GMC 7000 single axle, and the skidder is a '71 Franklin model 130. The truck is in great shape, the skidder needs two new front tires and a couple of seals repacked, oh and paint! Has to have new paint cause' there aint much left on it!!:p I'll try and post some pics latter in the week.

Sounds nice. I always wanted to get my own skidder, but I've been getting by with just a tractor and Farmi skidding winch so far. (I do firewood). Those skidder tires are pretty expensive though aren't they? Something like $1000-$2000, new, or something, isn't it?

Depends on where you buy them. Most places they want $1,000 per tire for my size but I have a place where I can get them for $620!!;)

I saw a high flotation skidder tire at the tire dealer last week and the price tag was $3,000 for ONE tire!!! :eek:

I'll take some of the truck tommorow, I'll have to take pics of the skidder at a latter point as it is in the shop getting new brakes.

Sir,nice pictures,good luck with your new equipment.How much snow do you get in your part of VA?RON K.

Ron, we get a pretty fair amount. My house is at the 1,500ft elevation but I'm only half way up the mountain. John, I moved up back in june but I still occasionally come down to carolina to climb and or fall timber for a friend.

A handy machine to have in the bush is a Excavator (tracked) with a bucket and hydraulic thumb you can cold deck logs and load trucks. You have small trees you just push them over and cut the stump off then hold the tree up and limb it then stack it.

You would need a machine that weighs minimum 15-20 ton something like a EX-150 Hitachi or a Kobelco 180. It might be a bit expensive investment but you can clear that chunk of land in no time flat.

As for Dozers nothing can beat Cat ;) contractors here have tried Deeres but they were junk compared to a D-6 7 or 8.

Nice pics Ryan .. looks like your having fun wit the new toys : ) .. my machine is down since I blew the front difff out of it a few weeks ago.. now I have my friend Randy skiddin for me with his 648 Deere grapple...well keep in touch man

Rob

Back