New Firewood Shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just bought a new firewood shed. They guy is taking it down as I type. He should have everything down by the end of next week. It's a 48x160 15 1/2ft high 12x12 treated pine poles with 12x12 headers. Trusses set on 4ft centers. Paid $7100 for it. He is taking it down and labeling everything. I'm splitting it with a friend we each get 80ft. I thought that was a good deal. He's just cutting the poles off so It's going to be 12 1/2 foot tall for me. I'm going to use it to keep firewood in. The span between poles is 20ft plenty of room for trailers and such. Now I don't have to worry about weather.

Scott

You are going to take pics for us right? :)

Sounds like a great deal, what kind of help is available to erect it?

I'll take pics as soon as it's up. That will be a month or so. Brother in law and his brother are carpenters. I'll just run the skid steer for drilling the holes,raising the poles,setting the headers and trusses. We might leave the metal off the side so the wood can get a cross wind on it. Haven't decided yet.

Scott

Scott - wow that sounds nice... I want to build a shed or something this summer or fall to keep me and the wood out of the weather for next year. Had one rainy day (today) where I had to load the stove standing in a down pour :(

Can't wait till you get the pics posted.

jealous!

If you have the tin for 15-1/2 sides, I'd buy new poles. The cost is minimal compared to the extra height you'd get.

We built a 34 x 56, about 14 ft under trusses. Not so much for height in themain section, but it allows continuing the roof angle and adding a 12 ft wide lean on either side someday, and still have 9 or 10 ft under that roof.

Never added on, but the potential was great for big space cheap then.
oh, well, the ex wife has that barn now!

kcj

Where the barn is going I can;t put a lean to on it. I though about adding one. I wouldn;t buy new poles to make it higher just put it on piers. But to replace the poles would cost a ton of money. They are 12x12 pine. We have a 32x72 16ft tall for stacking hay in. I'll be able to store enough firewood in it at 12ft high.

Scott

Yeah 12x12 poles are just a llliiiiitttttttllleee bit more expensive than the 4x6 or 6x6's you used on your barn Kevin.

I just built a 32x48x12 barn and paid a lot more than what you paid on that monstrosity of a building. What a deal. Of course now you have to rebuild it lol.

Good luck, you will never get a building that cheap again in your lifetime.

They have another building there also. I think they are just going to sell the trusses. The trusses span 110ft. Ypu have to take them apart in the middle for shipping. I don;t have anywhere to put a building that size. But man 110ft wow.

Scott

You going to do anything for a floor in it? Or just stack the wood on the ground and not worry about it?

That is one heck of a deal. If you don't put the sides back on, you should be able to recoup quite a bit of your investment in selling the steel.

Matt

I'll use the metal for another building for the cattle if we don;t do the sides. It just going do have a dirt/bark floor. That's all I have now and that isn;t covered. I was going to pour a pad this year but I found the building and spent the money on that. Next year I'll pour a pad under it. I want the pad for loading with the skid steer. That will make it a lot faster, Right now it's tricky I don't want any mess in there with the wood.

Scott

We have a 32x72 16ft tall for stacking hay in. I'll be able to store enough

ouch, you didn't need to say that-now double jealous : )

yes, 12x12 poles are something else than the 6x6 most used around here.
sounds like a really nice setup.
BW, kcj

Why not use Utility poles? that's how we build em up here. Contact your local utility, and lots of times they replaced a pole that was damaged at the top and they sell them for CHEAP!

Back