new guy has a chain question.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
sorry about this i am sure it has been asked befor.

on a chain there is the angle cut sharp part and just befor it a little thing i think is called the bumper???
now i read that the angle cut sharp part (tooth) is somtimes not at an angle but straight (90 degrees) .
what about the bumper ??
if it was lower would the saw not cut better??
it would expose more of the tooth and cut more every time it goes through the wood or am i out to lunch??

shayne

The "bumper" is the depth gauge. Also known inappropriately as a "raker," as it doesn't rake anything. There are different angles on the cutter. Usually 30-35 for a conventional chain, and much lower, like 10 for a ripping chain. You do want to keep your depth gauges lower than your cutter, usually between .020 and some guys up to .040. The lower the depth gauge, the thicker the chip will be, but also the rougher, and "grabbier" the saw will be. I usually run my about .030 or thereabout. Plenty of chip, and keeps the chain cutting smoothly.

You can buy a file guide which will have cutter angle, and a depth gauge jig all on one tool. Usually about $3. You can find them anywhere that sells saws or chains. Maybe even Wal-Mart.

Jeff

Back