New guy here!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howlinwolf

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New guy here, just this year started learning how to run a saw. Watched Dad and Grandpa for years, but this year, I was helping a friend cut firewood, he put me on a stihl 441. Blast to run, hell on my back. Also a little out of my price range. I needed to start cutting my own firewood, and I hate borrowing equipment. A different friend is selling me a Stihl ms250 with 18 inch bar for 275 with case. Its a year old, if that, and he used it once. I love it. I also picked up a cheap poulan wood shark (starts great, needed 20 to 30 dollars in parts) for 10 bucks. Figured its good to have a spare. I also have an old Pioneer farmsaw, but the decompression spring is broke, and the coil is junk. Cant seem to throw it out though.

anyway, CHEERS!

Definitly trying to. I havnt felled a tree yet, but I know thats inevitable. How many people still sharpen their own chain? Ive done pretty good so far.

New guy here, just this year started learning how to run a saw. Watched Dad and Grandpa for years, but this year, I was helping a friend cut firewood, he put me on a stihl 441. Blast to run, hell on my back. Also a little out of my price range. I needed to start cutting my own firewood, and I hate borrowing equipment. A different friend is selling me a Stihl ms250 with 18 inch bar for 275 with case. Its a year old, if that, and he used it once. I love it. I also picked up a cheap poulan wood shark (starts great, needed 20 to 30 dollars in parts) for 10 bucks. Figured its good to have a spare. I also have an old Pioneer farmsaw, but the decompression spring is broke, and the coil is junk. Cant seem to throw it out though.

anyway, CHEERS!
Welcome to the site
Lots of Pioneer fans here
Good saws
Built a ms250 for my neighbor last spring he's cut probably
20 truckloads with it.
Heats only with wood.

MS250 is a fine saw that will cut a lot of wood (of a certain size).

In addition to the other safety equipment, wear eye protection and steel toe boots.

Felling trees is even more dangerous than cutting wood. I recommend the book "To Fell A Tree". It's not a difficult read, there's lots of very good graphics.

Definitly trying to. I havnt felled a tree yet, but I know thats inevitable. How many people still sharpen their own chain? Ive done pretty good so far.

Probably just about everyone here sharpens their own chains. Once you learn how to do it, it's hard to cut with stuff that most dealers send out as a sharpened chain.

Welcome to the forum. I think CAD is already setting in. When I joined this forum I had one old Husqvarna chainsaw that wouldn't run any more. I got some good advice on here and got it running great. Now I have 7 chainsaws and want more and I don't even burn wood! You have been warned, get out before it's too late. LOL.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

On that old pioneer, my Dad told me my Great Grandpa and Grandpa had the saw in the shop multiple times, to no avail. 20 minutes with it, and I figured out the coil was done. Guess thats the internet for you. Im going to order a new coil and see if I can get it running, otherwise, it will just be a shelf piece to remind me of the farm that got sold. Ill find that book, and give it a read. Im wondering if 30 is too old to learn how to work in forestry, and get out of this office job!

On that old pioneer, my Dad told me my Great Grandpa and Grandpa had the saw in the shop multiple times, to no avail. 20 minutes with it, and I figured out the coil was done. Guess thats the internet for you. Im going to order a new coil and see if I can get it running, otherwise, it will just be a shelf piece to remind me of the farm that got sold. Ill find that book, and give it a read. Im wondering if 30 is too old to learn how to work in forestry, and get out of this office job!
It's never too late to learn, it's just if your back will hold out.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I wanted to add to the garage, when i bought my house, there was a clapped out looking ms200t. Never paid it much mind, almost tossed it a few times. Today, a new plug, fuel, and a bit of fiddling made it scream! Now to find the pieces.

Missing the air filter, side cover, clutch, etc. I need a part saw

Attachments

• received_2449059512036808.jpeg
    received_2449059512036808.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 3
Back