New guy, question on Stihl sizes and numbering.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicenate94

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and am in the market for a used chain saw. I started burning wood this year as my primary heat, and bought a Poulan to get me through the winter. Now I am ready for a better saw. I have been looking at 028's, 032's and 038's. Do you think this is the size I should be looking for? I want a 18 or 20 inch bar, and the power to run it right. Poulan is a dog. Dad always had Husky's, so I don't know much about the Stihl numbering system. Seems to me the bigger number shoud be a bigger saw, but what about age. Like, is an 032 bigger or just newer than a 031? Thanks for any help.

Nate

The 028 and 038 are both good saws (see my signature), the 038 is kind of slow but has gobs of torque and will run up to a 2 foot bar. The 028 wood boss with a .325 chain will scream,(or at least mine). No experience with an 032 but any stihl is a good saw

Welcome.

Huskys and Stihl both make good saws. Used saws are just that- used and usually the good ones have been on commercial jobs so they have been around the block. i would recommend either going to a Stihl or Husky dealer who services the saw you are going to buy so you will have local support.
(assuming they are a good dealer)
That being said- you would probably get all the saw you need in either a
Husky 455 Rancher or a Stihl 290 Farmboss something along those lines.

The stihl's are no longer "0" first - they are solid numbers- 200, 290, 310, etc.
If you want to spend the bread, the best saw made in it's class is a
Stihl 361 - but it will cost you 500+. On the upside- you will never wear it out - Good luck.

What Palmers said plus, the 032 is a great saw.... just a "pro" version of the 031,. Lots around and still running great. The 038 is one of the best saws they every made, and is comparable to the original 044 in many respects.

There are several different 028 saws. The 028WB was the original, the 028AV followed and the 028 super was the last of the line.

These saws are all 20-25 years old... You might want to consider an 026 or 34/36...

I agree with all that has been said.....i dont think you can go wrong with any of the saws mentioned.....personally i have had good luck with the 028 and the ms290.....the 290 is surprising and would pull a 20" bar easy.

Yeah, I really like the 038. Definitely a solid saw. The 036/360 is a good saw as well, nice and small, should do what you want.

SawTroll said:
If you look at the "Stihl-Tabelle" at this site, you will find some info on most models that Stihl has made.
A few variants of some models are missing, but most are there.

And another forum if only I spoke german :dizzy:

Great list of the Stihl models and years they were made!

MikeInParadise said:
And another forum if only I spoke german :dizzy:

Great list of the Stihl models and years they were made!
Well I don't speak German, but I do understand most of it when it is in writing. I also post a little there - partly in English and partly in (sort of) German. No-one there has been bashing me for posting in English, at least not yet....
It is interesting to see how differently some chainsaw issues are wiewed in different parts of the world. :cool:

Last edited:
shucksters said:
Welcome.

Huskys and Stihl both make good saws. Used saws are just that- used and usually the good ones have been on commercial jobs so they have been around the block. i would recommend either going to a Stihl or Husky dealer who services the saw you are going to buy so you will have local support.
(assuming they are a good dealer)
That being said- you would probably get all the saw you need in either a
Husky 455 Rancher or a Stihl 290 Farmboss something along those lines.

The stihl's are no longer "0" first - they are solid numbers- 200, 290, 310, etc.
If you want to spend the bread, the best saw made in it's class is a
Stihl 361 - but it will cost you 500+. On the upside- you will never wear it out - Good luck.
The MS361 is not only the best saw in its class, it is the finest chainsaw I have ever seen from an engineering stand-point. Few, (if any) failures, smooth, well-balanced, a pleasure to use.

Back