New guy with some questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickedsprint

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time posting.

I don't suffer so much as from CAD, but from SEAD..small engine acquisition syndrome/disease.

I've got a bunch of brush and smaller <~5" closely grown together trees to clear away and or trim from a fence line in the not to distant future.

Is this even remotely an excuse for a top handle or a powered pole saw..or should I just suck it up and get a silky?

Anyhow, great forum and I look forward to participating.

Last edited:
Depending on their proximity, height, orientation and location among other items (trees, house, car, etc), I'm thinking bow-saw ... unless a "bunch" means 50 or more ... then I'd consider a small chainsaw like a Stihl MS170 and a Silky Zubat.

Long time lurker, first time posting.

I don't suffer so much as from CAD, but from SEAD..small engine acquisition syndrome.

I've got a bunch of brush and smaller <~5" closely grown together trees to clear away and or trim from a fence line in the not to distant future.

Is this even remotely an excuse for a top handle or a powered pole saw..or should I just suck it up and get a silky?

Anyhow, great forum and I look forward to participating.
Get a 50 Cc Husky or Stihl = 346 or a 261 used.

Likely a brush cutter unit, if it's a chain link fence, if it is a one time shot I would just rent one and buy a couple blades for it( not the ones with the chainsaw teeth), rather than shelling out $3-400 greenstamps. Chain saw too dangerous in combination with fence and more that that you are going to be wanting to get close to the ground, which will wipe the chain out quick. I do not like the idea of a hand saw and groveling around on my knees( silky) my back would be protesting for quite some time afterwards. I have taken out hedgerows with a chainsaw, spend a 1/3 of my time sharpening chains.

It's a 4' concrete wall that borders a busy road. We're thinking that we want to back it up a 6-8' privacy fence, so this *should* be a one time deal. I had considered a heavier trimmer with a brush blade…which would get repurposed as a trimmer after the job is done.

Unfortunately, I could not find any for sale in the US, mine is over 20 years old and still going strong.

Latest posts

Back