New Guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I found this site couple days ago while I was looking for splitter plans. This place is great tons of info.

Just to give everyone some info abou myself:
I'm 29 I live in New Bruswick Canada, just bought my 1st house last year and luckily for me it had a big wood stove in the basement.
I had about 6 Cord left on the property when we bought the house so I split it and burnt it last winter, ended up running out at the beginning of April. This is my 1st ime heating with wood. I have 10 acres and plan on cutting abit of wood every year and hen buying the rest in lengths.
I went out and bought my 1st chainsaw last fall, since it was my 1st time using a saw I went with a smaller model, lookign back not I wish I would have goen with a larger saw, bu if I keep it sharp it works well.

Here's some pictures

My truck and wood/hay Hauler
imgp7063ir6.jpg

Baby saw and Woods wood getter

imgp7270xl6.jpg

Out back where I've been working

imgp7284eo5.jpg

And my wood helpers!!
imgp7280ch5.jpg

Hey, welcome- I'm kind of a new guy too. Nice pics. I like the chevy. And, is that Quaking Aspen, or "Popple" (if you live outside of town.) The dogs are Border Collies right? At least one is- I think- nice dogs. Thanks for sharing

thanks Everyone

Hey, welcome- I'm kind of a new guy too. Nice pics. I like the chevy. And, is that Quaking Aspen, or "Popple" (if you live outside of town.) The dogs are Border Collies right? At least one is- I think- nice dogs. Thanks for sharing

Yes the tree's are Popple, I've got alot of them and Maple on the property. Popple arne't the best to burn but they're free so I figure I'll burn them in the fall. Dogs are actually Austrailian shepherds.

thanks Everyone

Yes the tree's are Popple, I've got alot of them and Maple on the property. Popple arne't the best to burn but they're free so I figure I'll burn them in the fall. Dogs are actually Austrailian shepherds.

my kind of wood.

welcome to the site.

did ya start on the splitter yet?

my kind of wood.

welcome to the site.

did ya start on the splitter yet?

Thanks

No haven't started on the splitter yet, I borrowed one last year (split boh ways-worked awsome) I'll probably borrow again this year or rent one. I'm not the type of person that likes to borrow stuff often. If I have to borrow something often then I shoul dhave my own.. I'd really really like to build a splitter that works both ways.. I'm going to do my homework and start gathering parts.

Thanks

No haven't started on the splitter yet, I borrowed one last year (split boh ways-worked awsome) I'll probably borrow again this year or rent one. I'm not the type of person that likes to borrow stuff often. If I have to borrow something often then I shoul dhave my own.. I'd really really like to build a splitter that works both ways.. I'm going to do my homework and start gathering parts.
I liked your pics, and welcome to arboristsite! Any problems you have with saws, wood, and items related to that people here are happy to help with!

Ah yes, Austrailian Shepards- but at least I got the wood right- one outa two ain't bad. I've got alot of Aspen also. I do cut some for firewood, but it makes up for less than a quarter of my winter supply, but as mentioned, if its free its for me. It is good on days- like in the fall and spring, like you said- when you need to take the chill off, thats what I use it for- unless I'm hurting for wood.
Thats a good idea for a splitter- goes both ways- must be neat to run. Happy sawing.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, whats log length firewood going for in you're neck of the woods. You mentioned buying some so I thought I'd ask. I just bought some nice stuff for $90 (USD)/ cord. Just curious, no big deal if you're not sure off hand.

Last edited:

Yep good old Popple, if I had a dollar for every popple tree! When I first came to Maine I though they were just mispronouncing poplar and then saw the aspen trees, but in fact they are. Popar and Aspen, even cotton wood are all same family and same crap firewood. We call it the "Wonderbread of firewood" :clap: It's good for this time of year though and when dry it burns. :cheers:

From one new guy to another, welcome.

Nice saw, nice furry friends.

Col

Welcome to the site

Lots of Jeep folks here.
Do not worry about buying another saw, we will gladly help you spend your money.. when I cam here I owned one saw.. Now I have many..

Ah yes, Austrailian Shepards- but at least I got the wood right- one outa two ain't bad. I've got alot of Aspen also. I do cut some for firewood, but it makes up for less than a quarter of my winter supply, but as mentioned, if its free its for me. It is good on days- like in the fall and spring, like you said- when you need to take the chill off, thats what I use it for- unless I'm hurting for wood.
Thats a good idea for a splitter- goes both ways- must be neat to run. Happy sawing.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, whats log length firewood going for in you're neck of the woods. You mentioned buying some so I thought I'd ask. I just bought some nice stuff for $90 (USD)/ cord. Just curious, no big deal if you're not sure off hand.

I'm getting 6 cord in 4 ft' length for $90/cord but I have to go pick it up. Could have gotten split and delivered for $190 but I don't mind the work..

Lots of Jeep folks here.
Do not worry about buying another saw, we will gladly help you spend your money.. when I cam here I owned one saw.. Now I have many..

thats funny because now that I have one I see alot of good sized decent used saws popping up everywhere.. I'll see how it's works when I go to do my wood.

What do you have there, a 250?
Yeah, you will definitely want a 440 or 441 to cut the big trees on your property. There will come a day when wind or ice will topple a big tree, you need to be prepared for that.:chainsaw:

welcome

View attachment 70597

View attachment 70598

View attachment 70601Welcome to the fire wood myspace haha . I started out last year with a saw and a splitter I bought use from Home Depot . Now I have 3 saws , one big 2 1/2 ton dump truck , and a splitter I have been working on that I bought for $200 trying to get it going to get in the woods .

Any ways I am glad to see you here . Get ready to buy a bunch of stuff but be careful of some on here that got the stuff ! You will be hooked !

Welcome

I am new also. Great people full of unlimited useful information from saws to hydraulics to techniques.

Welcome

Welcome to the site , Im a big jeep fan and also like me budlight cant drink that stuff out of a can though gotta have bottles , you will find out thers quite a few of us thant cant spell so well may be the booze or we just cant spell so well . anway welcome to the sight a great bunch of guys on here and before you know it you will have multiple saws with different types of performace mods . And a severe case of cad :cheers:

welcome welcome

Welcome to AS I started out with a 45 cc homolite saw, and now have advanced to a stihl 441.....wow what a difference (CAD:dizzy: )..... sounds like you found a nice home and the land to help you heat it! enjoy!

Latest posts

Back