New Head

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you do the jug job on that 029 make sure you have plenty of bourbon on hand, it helps numb the pain. The 'unibody' Stihls are less than fun to do engine work on. It also helps to take deep cleansing breaths and hold them for as long as you can, if there's a nearby marijuana crop on fire all the better. Seriously, the engine has to be removed from the case for this repair.

Place saw in front of face cut on large tree. Make backcut with working saw. Saw up trunk and roll section off of saw needing disassembly. It doesn't always work though. :p

I found the instructions on the Stihl

repair/service CD. Unfortunately I have no idea how to copy that info as a post here, or as an email. I'll gladly do so if someone can provide the instructions. If someone else posts it, please tell how you did it.

Chris J.

First get the handle assy off. Then the clutch and flywheel. Remove top shrouds and carburetor. Get the intake boot out of the carb mount flange. Look on the bottom of the saw for the 4 screws that hold the engine in and remove them. Now wiggle the engine free from the case. I take the fuel tank out just because it's easy to do and frees up a little wiggle room. When you have the engine out, take the 4 screws out of the pan and remove the piston/con-rod/cranks assy from the jug. You can re-use the oil seals if you are careful handling them. You'll need good fuel resistant rtv sealer to put the pan back on, I personally use the stuff from Stihl. Installation is the reverse of removal

I'm re-assembling my 028 after putting in a new piston. It seems like a really tight fit trying to get both the impulse line on as well as the carb boot. I was thinking I could attach the boot to the cylinder and then slide the engine back into the rear handle housing and try to fit the carb-side of the boot in through the small opening in the rear housing. But then attaching the impulse line will be nearly impossible because it's underneath the boot. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Any suggestions?

boot

I install the pulse hose first. Install the boot by putting it on the cylinder first. Put a couple wraps of starter around the carburetor end of the boot and feed them through the tank housing. Pull on the rope and the boot with feed through the hole.

The jug on the 029 is kinda tapered and works as its own ring compressor as long as you are gentle. You may need to help the rings with a blunt tool.

If you get the parts, you are welcome to drive over here and I'll walk you through the job. I have a proper work shop with all the tools to do this job, granted it is 58 miles. We can even "open up the muffler" for a bit more grunt. Open invite.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back