BREAKING NEWS! STIHL MS 170 & 171 SERIES WILL BE DISCONTINUED!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the new version has adjustable carb screws and maintains the screw down caps, I welcome the change. Though it will be more expensive, more restrictive and probably built to lower standards.

Edit: filtration looks better and has spring AV. I wonder how much more they will be compared to the current 170 - 180 models. The reason they were so good was notably the price.
It definitely looks like a better saw. Standard side access is another cool feature. I also like the new Light 04 bar for it. I also think it is one damn good-looking saw. If I have the money when it comes out, I am buying one for sure. and maybe an MS 170 to sell on ebay.
7d3503ec946e478ca724eb2055a6b8e8.jpg

It definitely looks like a better saw. Standard side access is another cool feature. I also like the new Light 04 bar for it. I also think it is one damn good-looking saw. If I have the money when it comes out, I am buying one for sure. and maybe an MS 170 to sell on ebay.
View attachment 1122543
Doesn’t look like there is an adjustable carburetor, maybe the wt215 modification works for it still!

Interesting that the 162 and 172 have screw caps but the 182 has flippy.

Just noticed the single bar nut too. Hmm

I've probably sold over 200 in this area alone. They don;t get any care and still get 5 years out of them.
Great saws for their INTENDED use
But what do I know after 40+ years of repair. And I still run an 009. Ain't right.
I did have a 170 for 5 years and ran it hard before I sent it down the road. No doubting it was a very reliable saw, there’s simply far better options for the price

Any knowledge about why there are replacing the MS171? It is already a low-emission strato saw.
I have no idea. Maybe other regulations or the fact that some of the models from the 170-211 kinda suck even for what they are. I guess Stihl is kinda focused on improving gas instead of obsessing over the battery bull****.

Doesn't the 170 already have only one bar stud? I thought that was one of the few differences between it and the 180 20 years ago when I was assembling them at a farm and home store.
Nope. Maybe the one with the dumb easy-tensioner did. Wasnt it the 017 and 018 back then?

Latest posts

Back