STIHL IS REDESIGNING ALL OF THEIR BARS! NEVER SEEN NEW SAWS!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about my CS top handle and my 590 Timber Bear. One thing I will say about Echo saws and that is, every one of their bars have the ability to grease the roller noses, which I do, every time I use the saws. May buy a Echo straight shaft trimmer this spring as well as I can buy them at dealer cost now.
Township switched over to echo few years ago, very good trimmers.

Who in the history of chainsaws ever gave a $hit about what a chainsaw bar looked like? Does it perform well? Does it get the job done? I wouldn't care if Stihl painted hello kitty on the bar, just as long as I could count on it to get the job done. The paint don't pull the plow boys......

Who in the history of chainsaws ever gave a $hit about what a chainsaw bar looked like? Does it perform well? Does it get the job done? I wouldn't care if Stihl painted hello kitty on the bar, just as long as I could count on it to get the job done. The paint don't pull the plow boys......
Not a Deere guy eh? :) Neither am I and two of my sons work for Deere.

1704864808518.png

images (2).jpg
The paint don't pull the plow boys...

ya'll pay way too much attention to little stuff, although that pink deere tractor looks pretty damn good, but seriously the color of the bar wont matter to anyone after a day or two, you wont even notice
as Aaron said, paint don't pull the plow (although the red tractors pull better than the green ones), a gray bar with black letters, vs a gray bar with black and orange letters, whooptie friggen do
what next, you guys wont buy echo or Husqvarna because they are too orange?

I don't really care about the bars or the electric thing. The only thing I DO wish is that they would develop a standardized way of testing the saws that effectively tested the saws cutting speed and battery life. If they did this, I'd bet somebody lunch that it a good battery powered saw can currently replace most of the non-pro saws that are 50cc and under. Based on what I've seen, the biggest issues with good battery powered saws are cost, weight, and run time. Regardless of how often you use your saw, if you run it all day when you use it, a battery powered saw is a problem. They're not even close to being able to replace +70cc saws with battery powered equipment. If Kalifornia wants to ban gas powered small engines, good luck to them in finding someone to come fight their forest fires.

Battery life drops at least 30% in the cold (below 40) and then what if they get wet because nobody ever uses a chainsaw in the rain.
not a problem, I run a battery saw every day, rain, snow, etc, the battery lift doesnt drop as much as you claim, and ive had that saw damn near submerged, they work fine

I don't really care about the bars or the electric thing. The only thing I DO wish is that they would develop a standardized way of testing the saws that effectively tested the saws cutting speed and battery life. If they did this, I'd bet somebody lunch that it a good battery powered saw can currently replace most of the non-pro saws that are 50cc and under. Based on what I've seen, the biggest issues with good battery powered saws are cost, weight, and run time. Regardless of how often you use your saw, if you run it all day when you use it, a battery powered saw is a problem. They're not even close to being able to replace +70cc saws with battery powered equipment. If Kalifornia wants to ban gas powered small engines, good luck to them in finding someone to come fight their forest fires.
Because they can. I would totally get an MSA 220 to replace my MS 170. I heard from a dude at Stihl that if you aren't careful with the gas carving saws, you can blow 'em up because they aren't under load when they are running fast.

not a problem, I run a battery saw every day, rain, snow, etc, the battery lift doesnt drop as much as you claim, and ive had that saw damn near submerged, they work fine
Yep. My little Makita XCU 06 had zero problem cutting through a 12'' driftwood sycamore tree that I found fallen down on the bank of the local creek :innocent::innocent:.

I heard from a dude at Stihl that if you aren't careful with the gas carving saws, you can blow 'em up because they aren't under load when they are running fast.
as long as you arent 4 strokin it, it should be just fine, 2 stroke engines are made to rev wicked high, just keeper off the rev limiter

as long as you arent 4 strokin it, it should be just fine, 2 stroke engines are made to rev wicked high, just keeper off the rev limiter
I hope you’re considering the tune of the carb when you say that. It’s better to tune a saw a bit rich at, say 13,500 than having it screaming high with no 4 stroking, say 14,700. Easy way to toast the saw is to run it lean thinking rpm is the way to go

I hope you’re considering the tune of the carb when you say that. It’s better to tune a saw a bit rich at, say 13,500 than having it screaming high with no 4 stroking, say 14,700. Easy way to toast the saw is to run it lean thinking rpm is the way to go
Yeah, I'd much rather tune it a little rich so that it 4 strokes than risk seizing it up by running it a little lean. Spark plugs are WAY cheaper than pistons and cylinders. :)

As far as everyone forcing battery tech down our throats, I don't see any reason for anyone to get their panties in a bunch over it. At the end of the day, money still talks. Stihl and everyone else can "offer" battery powered products, but that doesn't mean that the consumers have to buy them. If a battery powered saw is a good fit for your needs, buy one. If it's not, don't. So long as people are buying MS261, MS400c, MS462, MS661 chain saws (or their counterparts), the OEM will keep making them. OEMs that are foolish enough to stop selling a product that sells well tend to go bankrupt.

As far as feeding our enemy, there are enough people within our boards who are bound and determined to subjugate the population that worrying about your hard earned money going to a foreign enemy is a waste of time.

Yeah, I'd much rather tune it a little rich so that it 4 strokes than risk seizing it up by running it a little lean. Spark plugs are WAY cheaper than pistons and cylinders. :)

As far as everyone forcing battery tech down our throats, I don't see any reason for anyone to get their panties in a bunch over it. At the end of the day, money still talks. Stihl and everyone else can "offer" battery powered products, but that doesn't mean that the consumers have to buy them. If a battery powered saw is a good fit for your needs, buy one. If it's not, don't. So long as people are buying MS261, MS400c, MS462, MS661 chain saws (or their counterparts), the OEM will keep making them. OEMs that are foolish enough to stop selling a product that sells well tend to go bankrupt.

As far as feeding our enemy, there are enough people within our boards who are bound and determined to subjugate the population that worrying about your hard earned money going to a foreign enemy is a waste of time.
Fair enough on your battery points. I personally just wish Stihl was putting as much development into their gas saws as their battery saws. IMO a 50cc fuel injected saw could really shake things up, something along the lines of a downsized 500i

I agree, but I don't blame Stihl for that. There's a bigger market for battery powered stuff, and historically I haven't been all that impressed with Stihls performance in that category (near the bottom) compared to their price tag (at the top). There's lots of room for them to get better, and its a pretty big pie to get a piece of. That said, I don't know that any of this means they are NOT working on their gas powered stuff. The engineers working on their battery powered lawn mower are probably not the ones you'd want designing that fuel injected 50cc saw. The 261 and 400 are both pretty impressive IMHO. From a business perspective, those models need to "run their course" before you start marketing a fuel injected competitor. Jumping the gun on that would waste at least millions of dollars worth of capitol equipment that they planed on depreciating over the next several years. That said, a 10 lb fuel injected power head that produced 4.5-5.0 hp would be awfully impressive. I have to think that it would quickly become the end-all be-all firewood saw.

Latest posts

Back