MS441R C-M Pricing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disaster

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Friends,
This is my first post here although I have been a lurker here for at least a year. I am getting ready to purchase a new 441 and want to make sure I am getting a fair price from my dealer. The 441R is not common around here and the dealer will need to order it. I was at the dealer today when I told him specifically what I wanted and it was so out of the ordinary (to him) that he called his Stihl distributor in VA to inquire about availability and pricing.

The VA distributor had to call him back while I waited patiently, gave him the prices and told him that they consider the 441R a west coast saw and they do not normally keep them in the east. Anyway here is the price I was quoted:

1--MS 441R C-M .....................974.95 He said the MS441 was 914.95 + $60 for the upgrade to the R model.
1--ES Light Rollomatic 28" .......153.80 3/8 x .050
2--RSF Chain Loops at 45.00..... 90.00
1--RMC Chain Loops at 45.00.... 45.00
Total ..................................$1,265 + NC State sales tax

He said he would give me 10% so the total would be around $1,140 plus sales tax.

Does this seem like a fair price? My dealer said it would take 2-3 weeks to get it since it would be coming from the left coast.

I have purchased 6 Stihl saws, a Stihl pole saw, 2 Stihl blowers and 2 Honda Commercial mowers from this dealer. I am a very loyal kind of guy, but I am wondering if this is too much...or is it fair.

Also, one more question. This will be my first saw with a wrap handle. I am a disaster responder and I keep all of my Stihl saws in Stihl cases in an enclosed trailer. Each case is stored in a wood cabinet. Stihl does not offer a case that will accommodate the wrap models. I have seen a couple of cases that were modified by cutting, melting or heating, but are there any other suggestions. I like to take care of my tools, especially one that cost $1,200.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

I think this got buried

I think this post got buried so I am bumping it up again.

I visited another dealer today and his price was similar except he would not offer any discount and added $50 shipping.

Can someone who has purchased one of these saws recently let me know if the price is fair?

Thanks.

The MS441R-CM is in stock right here in Ohio at Bryan Equipment, at least they were when I ordered the one I had last fall. No way should it take that long to get one. All of your prices look way high to me, but my dealer does take pretty good care of me. I paid $150 for a 36" Light bar last week.

they are trying to gouge you IMO! I just bought the 441c with a 28 inch es bar and a free extra rsc chain for 909 plus tax. The chain was 28 bucks he threw in. I don't know the price of a light bar but are you getting any credit for the bar that comes with it or are you getting two bars?

ive seen worse prices. call around. the list on the bar is $140 and and $969 for 441cm wrap with 25in es bar and chain.

if you have to buy from them i would just get the power head and maybe the bar but not the chains. way overpriced.

That is very high, I've bought about 20+ and they sure aren't that expensive.

The chains are about double what I pay, and about $30 high on the bar.

Sam

My dealer charges exactly msrp. I asked for a quote on a 362R and he didnt even seem interested in checking out the price for me. Sad since i have bought 3 saws 2 blowers, and lots of parts. All ordered parts have additional freight charges as well. I ordered a pullstart assy, for a blower and it was 49.95 PLUS 8 bucks freight. They charge everybody as much as they can here in my little town. Id love to find a stihl dealer that would actually DEAL. I want them to stay in business, but not gouge me.

The MS441R-CM is in stock right here in Ohio at Bryan Equipment, at least they were when I ordered the one I had last fall. No way should it take that long to get one. All of your prices look way high to me, but my dealer does take pretty good care of me. I paid $150 for a 36" Light bar last week.

Hi Friends,
This is my first post here although I have been a lurker here for at least a year. I am getting ready to purchase a new 441 and want to make sure I am getting a fair price from my dealer. The 441R is not common around here and the dealer will need to order it. I was at the dealer today when I told him specifically what I wanted and it was so out of the ordinary (to him) that he called his Stihl distributor in VA to inquire about availability and pricing.

The VA distributor had to call him back while I waited patiently, gave him the prices and told him that they consider the 441R a west coast saw and they do not normally keep them in the east. Anyway here is the price I was quoted:

1--MS 441R C-M .....................974.95 He said the MS441 was 914.95 + $60 for the upgrade to the R model.
1--ES Light Rollomatic 28" .......153.80 3/8 x .050
2--RSF Chain Loops at 45.00..... 90.00
1--RMC Chain Loops at 45.00.... 45.00
Total ..................................$1,265 + NC State sales tax

He said he would give me 10% so the total would be around $1,140 plus sales tax.

Does this seem like a fair price? My dealer said it would take 2-3 weeks to get it since it would be coming from the left coast.

I have purchased 6 Stihl saws, a Stihl pole saw, 2 Stihl blowers and 2 Honda Commercial mowers from this dealer. I am a very loyal kind of guy, but I am wondering if this is too much...or is it fair.

Also, one more question. This will be my first saw with a wrap handle. I am a disaster responder and I keep all of my Stihl saws in Stihl cases in an enclosed trailer. Each case is stored in a wood cabinet. Stihl does not offer a case that will accommodate the wrap models. I have seen a couple of cases that were modified by cutting, melting or heating, but are there any other suggestions. I like to take care of my tools, especially one that cost $1,200.

I appreciate any advice you can give me.

It looks like MSRP prices with any additional costs added in, typical retail sale of a power head and bar plus an additional "specialty" bar and chains.

Can't comment on the bar or saw

but the chain pricing is at least twice what I paid from my Stihl dealer when I last bought 28 inch RSF.

It's your dough, but there is absolutely no way I would head for the woods with $153 bar. It's tough enough to trash a $40 bar but one that expensive certainly hits the day's gross profits pretty hard.

Take Care

That sounds way high like one place in town here. I priced a 24" chain from them the other day and it was $41. They stick to msrp on the saws. About 25 miles away a dealer will go about 8% under msrp. A regular 441 was $760 last october.

I paid 800 for my non wrap M-tronic with an 18 inch ES bar and chain, and got a 25 inch ES bar and chain thrown in...I think they said the wrap was another 50 bucks, and hindsight is 20/20 on that deal.

He is giving you 10% off of msrp on the saw. Which is good. the bar and chains have a multiplier built in so 10% is not that good of a deal. At the price of the saw it should come with a bar and chain. and the light bar should be additional. 45 bucks for chain is a bit steep. My dealer quoted me 870 plus tax for that saw with a 25" es bar

Thanks everyone for commenting

Thanks everyone for offering me advice. I think I will get a couple of additional quotes. I really like the dealer I have been using but $ is $, especially nowadays.

We used to have a couple of saw shops around here that were logger centric, but they closed years ago. Most of the big time logging is finished up here in the Appalachians and I assume that is one of the primary reasons that the dedicated saw shops have went by the wayside? Now the vendors who sell chainsaws are lawnmower shops mainly and chainsaw shops as a business booster. The box stores have Husky and Poulon and Echo but cant preform any service.

My Stihl dealer is also a Husky dealer but he sells very few because folks can get the most of the same saws at the box stores at a lesser cost. Also, my Stihl dealer is not open on the weekend...go figure that one out. And I have been in the shop each week for the last 4 weeks and his inventory of Stihl saws is nearly depleted, and no black handled saws to be seen anywhere. He keeps saying that he let his inventory run down so that he could fill his inventory with new stock including the new blowers and trimmers and take advantage of bulk shipping and spring discounts.

Even though I dislike the box stores having saws, I am happy that the box stores have the disposable Poulons because I am a disaster responder and sometimes I will purchase 10 of those and load them in a plane and take them to foreign countries on planes. We cant do that with Stihl saws because the dealer needs to gas and oil them, and fire them up before releasing them to us. Not to say anything of the cost of the least expensive Stihl saw. The Poulons in the box can be taken through Homeland Security and checked and since they are in sealed boxes they clear customs easily. Since they were purchased so inexpensively and since they are mostly disposable we leave them in country when we depart.

Those prices are in the neighborhood of MSRP give or take a few bucks. It's different from distributor to distributor. They aren't gouging on the chians. They skyrocketd in price in the beginning of the year.

Call up Madsens and ask them for a quote they're usually cheaper than dealers

I checked my local dealer in ca and the price is $949+tax which includes a 25in bar and chain,when I bought my 460 my dealer gave me a choice $150 off the price or a bunch of free stuff,chains,files,extra air filters.....I took the $150:msp_thumbsup:

Back