BREAKING NEWS! STIHL MS 170 & 171 SERIES WILL BE DISCONTINUED!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. Maybe the one with the dumb easy-tensioner did. Wasnt it the 017 and 018 back then?
Could be. I was just a dumb college kid putting stuff together. I think the 180 or 018 or whatever had the quick tension option then also. We only had the plastic cassed saws. We also had husky. I hatted putting those together because of the dumb outboard clutch.

Could be. I was just a dumb college kid putting stuff together. I think the 180 or 018 or whatever had the quick tension option then also. We only had the plastic cassed saws. We also had husky. I hatted putting those together because of the dumb outboard clutch.
Ugh. Tell me about it. It once took me almost 10 minutes to get the thing back on my old Husky. My Stihl MS 194 has an outboard clutch that is still easier to use.

Another step backwards from what I seen. Dave had brought 162 to Sawfest in Ohio couple weekends ago.

171 181 fail.

2's going to be bad too.

For cheap saws find the 170 180 if got to have one.

Jeff running it for the tie breaker cuts. Took over 40 seconds by both guys for 2 cuts.

s162sf.jpg

Another step backwards from what I seen. Dave had brought 162 to Sawfest in Ohio couple weekends ago.

171 181 fail.

2's going to be bad too.

For cheap saws find the 170 180 if got to have one.

Jeff running it for the tie breaker cuts. Took over 40 seconds by both guys for 2 cuts.

View attachment 1122890
Ok? I still want one. Have him send it to me if he does not want it.

Doug made a video of the stihl 162 182 test runs.

:rolleyes: :laughing:

Yikes. They still look like good saws for what I need them for. As a Carver it's good to have a small saw for doing the very small stuff. Which is why I'm going to buy a couple more Ms 170s before they are discontinued. I also like the MS 194 rear handle saw.

If you have the budget, a 151T or 1/4 converted 2511T makes for a great carving saw. I've used my 151T for carving at a BSA camp in East Texas and those who have used it really enjoy it. It's also an amazing saw for general small work, I use mine all the time for a small trim or trail saw

If you have the budget, a 151T or 1/4 converted 2511T makes for a great carving saw. I've used my 151T for carving at a BSA camp in East Texas and those who have used it really enjoy it. It's also an amazing saw for general small work, I use mine all the time for a small trim or trail saw
Oh, I know. I have an MS 194c and MSA 60 for running the 1/4 pitch chains and dime-tip bars and a 170 for blocking. I may use the money to get a Makita 3-inch cut-off tool. I will definitely be buying a couple more MS 170s before they are replaced by this a$$hatchery. That saw is not supposed to have a 16-inch bar. In Europe, it has a 10-inch bar.

Who would have thought bar stud count to be a controversial topic? Ha!

On a tophandle climbing saw like t200 I'd be upset if they put 2, missing out on potential weight savings.
How light is this... oh. Nope. Garbage.

Fanboy the garbage, so we know what sort of person you are!
Tell me that, I don't get to decide what not to buy, WITH MY OWN MONEY.
Clowns, all the way round.

Latest posts

Back