New Here 1st post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trufunk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for a chainsaw to cut some wood for BBQ. Went to a Husky dealer today wanted 419.00 for a 455 Rancher went to a stihl dealer wanted 399 for the farm boss, though I could buy the rancher cheaper online. Probably use to cut mostly oak and mesquite. The Huskys felt better in my hands. Never bought a saw before so please be gentile it's my first time. Great site here thanks. Should I be looking for something else?

Welcome to the Forum...

If your just cutting for BBQ wood.... Then a "Rancher" or "Farm Boss" will do.

But for $400. You can get a nice used Pro model saw from one of the Sponsers here. If you wanted to spend $75 more. There is a Jonsered (Red Husqvarna 550XP) that will be more saw than you will ever need.

But again. If its just BBQ wood and your doing less than a cord a year? A small 40cc homeowner model will work. There is a 445 for around $150 in the classifieds here and the member Greyfox is a stand up guy.m

Welcome....

How big is the wood and how much cutting? Do you have a budget in mind for a saw? Welcome to the site.

What size wood? How many cords a year? What is your budget? How long do you want it to last? Can you work on it or will you need to rely on a dealer? These are just some of the questions you will need to answer.

By the way, welcome aboard. This will be the first of many saws...

None of those are really good saws, but the Husky is preferable in most ways. Also the Stihl is a discontinued model really, provided you are referring to the 290.

Welcome to this crazy forum! :cheers:

For all you will be doing check with tlandrum in the classifieds. He is selling off some of the Redmax saws at his store for a great price. Remember, although many will tell you pro saw or bust, most saws with proper care will cut wood for a long time.

Shea

BBQ wood, smoker wood? Depends, i got some hickory here took every inch of a 36 inch bar to cut the main log. Well, I could have used smaller, cutting from two sides....

what are you cutting? Species, max diameter....

Plenty of good deals on this page, have a peek;

http://www.arboristsite.com/tradin-post/

Factor in your personal cutting protective gear, doesn't matter, you need it, chaps, boots, hearing and eye protection or helmet system, etc. Adds up. Decent used saw, some protective gear, go slow and safe.

Welcome to the Forum...

If your just cutting for BBQ wood.... Then a "Rancher" or "Farm Boss" will do.

But for $400. You can get a nice used Pro model saw from one of the Sponsers here. If you wanted to spend $75 more. There is a Jonsered (Red Husqvarna 550XP) that will be more saw than you will ever need.

But again. If its just BBQ wood and your doing less than a cord a year? A small 40cc homeowner model will work. There is a 445 for around $150 in the classifieds here and the member Greyfox is a stand up guy.m

Welcome....

Thanks for the info just found the classifieds! Yeah just for BBQ wood and around the home. Lots of building going on around these here with land clearing so what ever I could pick up there. I have some friends that have said I could cut as much mesquite as I need for free on their land.

I agree with some others that the 455 and 290 sounds like overkill for what you want to do - but of course I don't know how the wood you are going to cut is.....

Last edited:
How big is the wood and how much cutting? Do you have a budget in mind for a saw? Welcome to the site.

What size wood? How many cords a year? What is your budget? How long do you want it to last? Can you work on it or will you need to rely on a dealer? These are just some of the questions you will need to answer.

By the way, welcome aboard. This will be the first of many saws...

Thanks for your responses budget 3-400 new. Just looking to cut mesquite and oaks not sure how big. Wouldn't mind used if it was well maintained.

For occasional use, don't buy the biggest saw you can handle. Buy the one you'll want to use 10 years from now. You'll be older and more feeble then.

Thanks for the info just found the classifieds! Yeah just for BBQ wood and around the home. Lots of building going on around these here with land clearing so what ever I could pick up there. I have some friends that have said I could cut as much mesquite as I need for free on their land.

If you are cutting in and around San Antonio...you are on the edge of the 'brush country'. Mesquites are not going to be very large (nor most oaks for that matter). Be sure to cut Mesquite when green (not dry) and you really don't need much saw.

An 18-20" bar will be more than big enough and something in a 50-60 cc class saw will serve you well.

Keep your chain sharp and keep it out of the rocks and dirt....you'll be fine.

A fellow Texan,

Flint.

Going forward, you can always go for something like a 50-60cc saw to complement one like a 40cc starter saw.

There are some good 40cc that come instantly to mind, like refurb husqy 435 (actually 40cc, good price from VMInnovations) and RedMax GZ4000 (be sure to clarify before purchase how YOU will be able to make future carb adjustments.) Both are "stratos." Husqys need special carb tool- may be in possession of an amigo.

With proper PPE, still it'll boost your chances to learn howto with a smaller, lighter saw, then graduate to the bigger boys. I think it helped me. ERs and sutures/staples suck.

If you are cutting in and around San Antonio...you are on the edge of the 'brush country'. Mesquites are not going to be very large (nor most oaks for that matter). Be sure to cut Mesquite when green (not dry) and you really don't need much saw.

An 18-20" bar will be more than big enough and something in a 50-60 cc class saw will serve you well.

Keep your chain sharp and keep it out of the rocks and dirt....you'll be fine.

A fellow Texan,

Flint.

Thanks!

My first saw for firewood and farm/ranch maintenance was a Stihl 290, and it served me well because I didn't know any better. If I had to do it all again, I'd start with a quality 50cc saw instead of the 290/455.

I have bigger saws, but I cut most of the time with a Husqvarna 346XP-16". It's much lighter, faster, and has good antivibration technology. Cut treetops for an hour with a 290 and you'll realize that a pound or two in weight makes a big difference, and the vibrations can really make for unpleasant work.

Back