New Here too

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treecutr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I figure I should have done this first. New to forum, somewhat new to tree business from a certain point of view. ( I was cutting trees down when I was 10, but that was in the middle of the woods with a bunch of woodsmen ) I have also done a ton of cutting for firewood, progressed to buying climbing gear, books, videos, Q &A, now I feel comfortable in a tree. Kind of addicting, just want to go do tree work, not much to be had last month or so. So I will post questions for all to answer, not ashamed to share my mistakes either. I hope to add videos and photos as I go.

Stihl MS 310 ( 2 )
Stihl MS192T ( 12" )
Stihl MS 460 Magnum ( 25" and 32" Bars )
5/8" Columbian Specialty bull rope 200'
1/2" CMC Rescue Rope 150'
7/16" Samson Rope ( Tag Line ) 200'
1/2" Poision Ivy Climbing line 110'
Dozen Biners or so, couple steel ones
Weaver Saddle
ABC Saddle ( Rock Climbing saddle as a backup tie in )
dozen 1" nylon webbing slings
Big Shot, throw line
Buckingham Spikes,
12' Wire Core flip line
8' Rope flipline ( used as 2 in 1 sort of with 12' flipline )
Tree Climbers companion
Tree Climbers Guide ( on the way )
DR Chipper ( 4 1/2" capacity, definetly need a big dog )
Can't remember anymore off hand, but I know I am missing stuff.
Oh my Sierra 4 x 4 Extra Cab 350, and a 12 x 7 trailer ( not a dump trailer, shoveling chips out sucks )

Basically when I came back from Iraq, I needed something to keep the adrenline pumping, this is doing it's best.

I can take the ribbing, looking to better my knowledge.

Last edited:
I'm not to far from you Stihl O Matic. Pittsfield, Ma. I did my Electricians school in East Windsor CT, at Baran Institute of Technology. ( Now Lincoln Tech )

Just wondering, if you already went through electrician school, why wouldn't you try to get into a line construction outfit? The pay can be better if you can keep working. My buddy is a lineman and he says he gets a pretty big rush from climbing poles. I think I'd rather be a tree worker myself, the rush can't be beat sometimes, but if money was the whole concern, I'd look into an organized line construction contractor or utility.

Last edited:
My buddy is a lineman and he says he gets a pretty big rush from climbing poles. I think I'd rather be a tree worker myself, the rush can't be beat sometimes, but if money was the whole concern, I'd look into an organized line construction contractor or utility.

Being tied into a pole with spurs on would be fun for a little while, but you just can't beat cutting a 6ft section of the pole out and letting it go sailin past a your feet on a rope... especially when everyones favorite "Iron Grip" groundie is holding onto it... "Ok, now make sure you let it run Bob!" <--- Famous last words, make sure your spurs are in deep!

Btw Welcome Treecutr!

Just wasn't interested in the lineman thing. Wanted to do residential and commercial electrician. But really love the tree stuff too, so I do both. Neither is particularly busy right now, and due to an impending deployment to Afghanistan, I fear I may be starting over when/if I get back from there in 2011. Baghdad was rough enough.

Latest posts

Back