New Homeowner Looking for Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuttinginGA

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
All,

If this is not the place to post this question, I apologize and please let me know where to go.

I'm a new homeowner that now has about 10-15 trees that I want to eventually cut down. Though I've used chainsaws in the past, I've never owned one. So I'm looking for advice as to what to get. When I originally did my research, the Echo CS310 always came up, so I bought a refurb one from HD. While using it to cut down some overgrown bushes, it kept getting stuck in the middle. So, I returned it when I found out it was missing a part. So looking for suggestions as to what to get. Here are some details and i appreciate any help

I take care of my equipment and can do slight tinkering
thickest tree is probably 12 inches, but that's just a guess
After getting these cut, probably just use it for trimming and helping out friends/family if they need it

I really like the Echo model saws. Almost can't be beat for the price. If nothing is going to be bigger than 12 or 14 inches then a CS400 or 490 will be plenty of saw. With no experience working on them I don't recommend getting a refurb model from the store. They always seem to have bugs. What part of GA?

well, I had seen the post where there were jokes about Stihl being better than Husky, and I thought Echo and Stihl were about the same, so that made me question sticking with an Echo.

i'm in Forsyth county, right on Lake Lanier.

All,

If this is not the place to post this question, I apologize and please let me know where to go.

I'm a new homeowner that now has about 10-15 trees that I want to eventually cut down. Though I've used chainsaws in the past, I've never owned one. So I'm looking for advice as to what to get. When I originally did my research, the Echo CS310 always came up, so I bought a refurb one from HD. While using it to cut down some overgrown bushes, it kept getting stuck in the middle. So, I returned it when I found out it was missing a part. So looking for suggestions as to what to get. Here are some details and i appreciate any help

I take care of my equipment and can do slight tinkering
thickest tree is probably 12 inches, but that's just a guess
After getting these cut, probably just use it for trimming and helping out friends/family if they need it
Welcome to the site.

Echo 490 300.00 shipped off ebay
I've had mine 2 year's lot of cutting
No issue's lightweight saw
Will take up to a 20 inch bar.
I run 18 on mine.

I own several different brands and echo build quality is as good as any of the others and some models, even better. If you're dropping trees, maybe look at something between the 400 and 500 models as GeorgiaVol suggested. I would, however, recommend you buy from a good dealer if you don't have much experience with saws. I think there are guys here on AS that are dealers but I'm not sure who they are.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

By local dealer I know you don't mean HD or Lowes, but does Ace fall into that category? I ask because the nearest local shop would be like 35 min away

You'll hear jokes about just about any make of saw. By dealer they mean if you have one brand dealer nearby and not the other go with what's in the area.

By local dealer I know you don't mean HD or Lowes, but does Ace fall into that category? I ask because the nearest local shop would be like 35 min away
Not really. Most hardware stores sell the stuff but nobody to work on them if necessary

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

oh ok. I guess if the Echo line is the recommendation for my needs, I'll look for a local dealer to go visit

cool, looks like that's what I'll go with. Next question, I keep reading about doing a tuneup on the muffler or something in order to get it working even better. Is that something i need to worry about? if so, is there a link to the steps to take?

Ignore the good advice, go six cubes and fear no evil.

Excellent recommendation, but why stop at 6 cubes when you can have 8??? Maybe an 090 with a 6' bar so you can reach low-hanging limbs???

To the OP, please ignore above post. A new Echo is mighty fine for what you need. Having said that, if you hang around here long enough, you'll find a reason to buy a vintage 137 cc Stihl 090 with a 6' bar.

To the OP, please ignore above post. A new Echo is mighty fine for what you need. Having said that, if you hang around here long enough, you'll find a reason to buy a vintage 137 cc Stihl 090 with a 6' bar.

LOL, you know, my wife worries about that. Due to other forums, I have more pockets knives, flashlights, and softball bats than I would ever need. But damn does peer pressure get to you. :)

LOL, you know, my wife worries about that. Due to other forums, I have more pockets knives, flashlights, and softball bats than I would ever need. But damn does peer pressure get to you. :)

I think you're going to fit in just fine here. Probably a good time to start thinking about where you're going to hide the 30 or 40 saws that you're going to buy in the next year.

Back