New Homeowner Looking for Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool, looks like that's what I'll go with. Next question, I keep reading about doing a tuneup on the muffler or something in order to get it working even better. Is that something i need to worry about? if so, is there a link to the steps to take?
Muffler mod is not necessary but it will free up more power as the saws are very restricted due to EPA regulations. Some saws get substantial gains and others not so much. Probably not something you want to tackle without more research or finding someone experienced to do it for you. Tuning the carb is definitely what you have to pay attention to. Echo's seem to be sent out lean from the factory. Not all but some. A good dealer, no matter what brand, will start and run the saw and tune it properly if needed. There are alot of very good forums on tuning to help you understand more about doing your own tuning and muffler mods if that's what you decide in the future. Hold on tight! You're about to be sucked into the chainsaw underworld with the rest of us hopeless souls!

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

The warranty is a joke but I love my Echo 400's and 490's. Do a muffler mod and retune and they are really strong saws, more than capable of what you're looking for. Stay away from HD returns.

The it's true if you hang around here you will fill up your shed. It's starts with one and grows to an obsession. The. You find yourself seeing what you could pawn or sell the gold for cash to get your next saw...not that I've considered this

I joined this site with only 1 saw, now look. As far as hocking wife's wedding ring to buy more, considered it but I like to close my eyes when I sleep.

I joined this site with only 1 saw, now look. As far as hocking wife's wedding ring to buy more, considered it but I like to close my eyes when I sleep.

I started with a husky 450 Rancher...then ms391...and I will just leave the list there [emoji56]

I'm going to start pricing my old high school ring. Now idea why I even got one but it has some gold lol. I've heard you can get $20k for one nut...that's some good chainsaw money

I started with a husky 450 Rancher...then ms391...and I will just leave the list there [emoji56]

I'm going to start pricing my old high school ring. Now idea why I even got one but it has some gold lol. I've heard you can get $20k for one nut...that's some good chainsaw money

I wouldn't do that for Barrett 82!!!!!

I vote 490 for your needs. Could always send it to @MillerModSaws for some warming up when the time seems right.

Here's a ported vs. muff modded 490 pulling a 20" 325.

The muff modded saw woulda done a bit better if it was leaned out a bit.

Start the first video at 2:20

The it's true if you hang around here you will fill up your shed. It's starts with one and grows to an obsession. The. You find yourself seeing what you could pawn or sell the gold for cash to get your next saw...not that I've considered this
did you get the new shed finished yet?:laugh:

well, I had seen the post where there were jokes about Stihl being better than Husky, and I thought Echo and Stihl were about the same, so that made me question sticking with an Echo.

i'm in Forsyth county, right on Lake Lanier.
Welcome to AS @CuttinginGA . as you can see this is a good place for great advice. the echo should serve you very well for NOW!! :laugh: CAD starts shortly after the purchase of your first saw. keep us posted on what saw you get.

I vote 490 for your needs. Could always send it to @MillerModSaws for some warming up when the time seems right.

Here's a ported vs. muff modded 490 pulling a 20" 325.

The muff modded saw woulda done a bit better if it was leaned out a bit.

Start the first video at 2:20

:)

490/500/501P-echos- excellent saws for the money. I have a new ported 501P for sale.

Best bang for the buck if leaving it in stock form IMO is the Makita 4300. 16" bar and in stock form the best running. And comes in new with a price tag in the range of $330 give or take.

The warranty is a joke but I love my Echo 400's and 490's. Do a muffler mod and retune and they are really strong saws, more than capable of what you're looking for. Stay away from HD returns.

Why do you day the warranty is a joke? All I've seen is how their 5 yr warranty can't be beat

Why do you day the warranty is a joke? All I've seen is how their 5 yr warranty can't be beat
They do not honor it well and often blame the owner. But, chainsaws are very reliable on the whole and if they do have manufacturing issues blow up in the first 10 hours. The Echo saws are still a good buy. All the companies hate honoring warranties. I have used echo blowers, weed whackers, and pole saws since I was just barely old enough to use them. They make good, inexpensive tools. Todays saw lineup is better then the last 20 years, they got a bad wrap with a lot of heavier users from running antique designs, which they stopped recently and are getting competitive again.

The Makita saws are fantastic as well. I am converting my work fleet over to them due to cost of parts and ergonomics.

Latest posts

Back