New Homeowner with Cottonwood Tree - holes in leaves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxBerlin

Reaction score
First post, we were told this is a cottonwood. We didn't notice this at first but the tree has leaves with holes in them. Is there something we should do? If so what ? Thanks in advance.

2usj1qx.jpg

I don't know of any leaf feeders or diseases that would cause that type of damage to a cottonwood leaf. My guess would be late frost damaged the leaf in early bud break & it grew out to look shot-holed. New leaves will emerge intact with no damage.

I don't know of any leaf feeders or diseases that would cause that type of damage to a cottonwood leaf. My guess would be late frost damaged the leaf in early bud break & it grew out to look shot-holed. New leaves will emerge intact with no damage.
That's a relief. Thank you.

Looks like insect activity to me...cottonwood leaf beetle ? Check with your ag extension or local arborist.Don't know your location..If your in a warmer climate zone, might be a second gen. late summer/fall.

Looks like insect activity to me...cottonwood leaf beetle ? Check with your ag extension or local arborist.Don't know your location..If your in a warmer climate zone, might be a second gen. late summer/fall.

I'd put my money on CLB...very similar to damage I've seen before.

Is the whole tree affected?

Cottonwood leaf beetle is a good guess, however there is no skeletonizing from the larvae. Also notice the brown spots, edges of the holes & uniformity of the holes this is not conducive of a leaf chewer.

th

cottonwood_leaf_beetle10.jpg

First post, we were told this is a cottonwood. We didn't notice this at first but the tree has leaves with holes in them. Is there something we should do? If so what ? Thanks in advance.

2usj1qx.jpg
Hi. Got your answer. I am in Northern Nevada. Chased down the pest name after finding thousands of webs all over my yard (hanging from every type of tree/bush/plant/fence/etc.) peppered with tiny pale sesame seed-sized things. All dangling in these webs. Some even floating thru the air on light breeze. Turns out these sesame seed things are actually the larval stage of the Cottonwood Shield Bearer. They were heading to the ground to pupate over winter. Here's a link to info...
http://articles.ivpressonline.com/2002-03-25/larva_24155887

Latest posts

Back