New Huskee 22 ton splitter .....junk compared to the old ones?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THANKS SO MUCH! I prime it have someone pull it and then prime the **** out of it and it runs! still low on splitting power......It ran 11 hours straight today.

I know you have been on me about pictures on several posts but I work non stop with no time for pictures now. I have 2 guys running orders in a 3500 and 5500 ram dumps all day people coming in for pickup in shortbed long bed and dump trailers.... today had a guy in a car lol I just added another 440 and 044 to my lineup a I am now running a 200t 026 036 361 (gets most of the use 044 and 440 I sold my 36pro 046 460 362 .

Any suggestions on another splitter would be greatly appreciated as I wouldn't mind having a handful running at a time
Pics or it didn't happen. That's the basic ground rules here..............................

I have yet to see a chunk of wood my 35 ton huskee won't split. It will actually cut the log in half before it stops. I have split some really big nasty chunks of all kinds of trees. Bustin red oak chunks this afternoon with three hearts, one had four. Never missed a lick.

Couldn't have said it any better. My 35 ton will chew wood up and spit it out like a mad dog.

If I was doing a commercial resale type firewood business I would have bought a splitter that was a higher tonnage rating and bought a pro series product ..I wouldn't have bought the cheapest model for general use then get disgusted it wouldn't handle production but if your a homeowner the 22 ton fits the bill

Tonnage ratings are a load of crap anyway.
The only thing that makes any difference whatsoever is the cylinder size and the pump pressure relief setting.
If a 5 horsepower engine can bypass the pressure relief setting a 10 horse won't do one bit better. It is just another sales gimmick.

Mike

Tonnage ratings are a load of crap anyway.
The only thing that makes any difference whatsoever is the cylinder size and the pump pressure relief setting.
Mike
You are probably aware that the "tonnage" is derived from cylinder size (area) times pressure. Did you mean to refer to engine HP?

What I know is that the sales brochures and sales people will try to make you think you need a 10 HP engine or more to give your splitter more tonnage.
I also know that engine horsepower has absolutely zero to do with splitter power, as long as the engine has enough power to activate the pressure release valve in the pump.

Mike

Well today I returned the 3rd one (didn't even run when I brought it home) I have fixed all 3 splitters atleast once and they all break. I am no longer allowed to buy a splitter at yuppie supply. Yea these things are junk. Needed one that minute looked and looked finnaly found an iron and oak :) shes now in the garage. solved that problem

Well today I returned the 3rd one (didn't even run when I brought it home) I have fixed all 3 splitters atleast once and they all break. I am no longer allowed to buy a splitter at yuppie supply. Yea these things are junk. Needed one that minute looked and looked finnaly found an iron and oak :) shes now in the garage. solved that problem

I call BS. You never posted a pic of any of the 3 Huskees detailing the problems.
Maybe you should just stick with your "mull" for splitting.

Last edited:
ok I don't have time to sit around and take pictures. I swore I had a few up. I do have pictures with them in it. You can call the Bellevernon pa tractor supply and ask them if you don't believe me? ill post a picture of my iron and oak here shortly. Why would I make a topic and lie about it? little jealous are you guy?

theres some of the splitters some of my wood in the building for personal use next year my 2 Cummins dumps and a couple of mysaws since you were on me about them ttoo

Attachments

• NCM_0083.JPG
    NCM_0083.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 35
  • NCM_0088.JPG
    NCM_0088.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 33
  • NCM_0071.JPG
    NCM_0071.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 32
  • NCM_0069.JPG
    NCM_0069.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
  • NCM_0020.JPG
    NCM_0020.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
  • 1390359787.jpg
    1390359787.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 1390360140.jpg
    1390360140.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
I must Photoshop all these photos too.....my New iron n oak along with my 660 ported bigbore thats got a few other tweaks. ill be sure to take a picture of my 2nd iron n oak I plan to purchase( with this one in the picture too) along with all my saws together

Attachments

• NCM_0094.JPG
    NCM_0094.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
Thanks me too. I cant afford the down time. I hear they are the best you can get we will see. Its not like I was even hard on the huskees? or split a lot of wood with them? I plan on adding at least 1 more iron and oak to the fleet for next year

I must Photoshop all these photos too.....my New iron n oak along with my 660 ported bigbore thats got a few other tweaks. ill be sure to take a picture of my 2nd iron n oak I plan to purchase( with this one in the picture too) along with all my saws together
I don't know what could be wrong. You got one that you like, so now you're happy happy happy. Whether or not you hate "yuppie" supply is not the issue here. It looks like it's just to cold for the "bad" one to run. So all is well in Berad household.

I see your iron n oak has the wedge on the end of the beam instead of the ram like the huskey. I think your first modification to it should be an outfeed table. Make the able as wide and long as possible. This will allow the splits to be pushed away from the splitter and not stack up at your feet while splitting. I would then consider adding a log lift to get those larger rounds upon the splitter. Just those two modifications will increase production significantly. I would also start looking for a small conveyor so you can load your trucks or make a pile while you split, this would save a lot on labor and again increase production. I would then consider adding a 4way wedge, one of those slip on wedges will do or you can get fancy and make a hydraulicly adjustable 4way. Of course if you do all these modifications, your investment cost toward your splitter just went up to a factory bought commercial machine that already had all those modern features.

I am not knocking the way you are doing things, sometimes you have to do what you have to do, but I seriously think if your going to be in the commercial firewood business, you need to start thinking about ways to save money as much as you are thinking about making money. Anything you can do to increase production and decrease labor cost will put more money in your pocket. Face the facts, the less time you are splitting wood, the more time you have to do something else. Winter is almost over, I believe I would be thinking about making some of the modifications suggested to that iron and oak splitter to increase productivity, or selling it and buying something that is ready to go to work. You wont find a new splitter with all those features for $1000, but you could easily save the difference in price thru increased productivity and reduced labor cost.

Just my opinion

And the moral of this story is...don't ask for commercial level work from homeowner level tools and equipment. The right tool for the job...
And, something that doesn't work at all out of the box should be returned asap.
With trucks full of commercial saws going into the woods every day cutting firewood, I'm not sure why anyone would expect a splitter costing $1000 to keep up.

BTW my 22T Huskee does just fine for what I ask it to do, which is only about 3 to 4 cord per year.

Now you're really gonna pizzzzzz him off telling him how to work. He may just quit it altogether now.
I am not trying to pizzzz him off. Just offering my opinion and a few suggestion to help him make his wood business a little more productive and possibly a little more profitable. He doesnt have to listen to anything I have said, and it is entirely possible he is very comfortable in doing his business the way it is currently operating. Nothing wrong with that if that is the case. On the other hand, just from reading what he has posted, I get the feeling he is wanting to grow his business and I fully support that. Opinions are like, well you know what, and everybody has one. I have expressed mine. I think my suggestions are valid if he indeed wants to increase his production, but it wont effect me one way or the other if he doesnt agree with me.

Love mine just got it a couple month's ago.great for what I need it for about 10 cord a year give or take.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back