New Husky 346xp - lousy filter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that is what you took from my post, I understand why it took you months to decide to buy a saw that you suddenly realize looks cobbled together.

:Eye::Eye:

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

If that is what you took from my post, I understand why it took you months to decide to buy a saw that you suddenly realize looks cobbled together.

:Eye::Eye:

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Actually, it took me one month, not "months". And prior to buying, I stated, more than once, that I thought the Stihl looked to be better quality. Pay attention, Wendell. Sheesh!

This thread got me to wondering about my 346 that has just about 10 tanks through it. I pulled the filter and the carb elbow is clean. The inside of the filter is clean too. It has the yellow filter, and it seems to be doing its job.

While were on the 346 subject, does everybody elses leak bar oil like crazy? Ive had several huskys, and have 3 now, and none of them has ever leaked oil like this one. The 3 I have now don't leak a drop, but the 346 will empty the tank almost over night....and its the newest I have.

Mine leaks bar oil, but doesn't gush it. Lately though I'm having a hell of a time keeping it in tune, it wanders all over the place lately. I don't know if the coil is acting up, or it's developing an air leak. It's only around two years old.

It's been a great little saw.

Rusty, I would just either sell the 346 or trade it off on a 261, it's clear you'll never be happy or satisfied with it. Hell, maybe Saw Troll will buy it and set it on the shelf to draw dust.

I wish you lived closer, I'd loan you my 261 for a couple of weeks to see if you liked it any better.

It doesn't matter at all, in "normal" conditions, with a sharp chain...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Normal conditions is correct. I've been cutting on some shale hickory that no matter how sharp the chain is, its dusty....probably the dustiest wood Ive ever cut. Kinda looks like some of the videos Ive seen from aussie country.

One more reason I decided to check my intake track. I cant complain about the 346s filtration one bit.:msp_smile:

Personally, I think the 346xpne air filtration is just fine. It is better than that on most of the saws I own, the Stihl's, (except the 261) Efco and the older Dolmar. I blow the older stihl filters off everyday, the 346 and 156 off about once a week. I've had fines show up in the efco throat every time, I'm talking very. very small fines and after three season of hard use the cylinder and piston still look like new.
We just don't have the conditions at least in my area to be overly concerned about filteration. My oldest saw still in regular use, a 30+ year old 028 has only had two air filters in it's entire life and there is no damage to the cylinder. It had more neglect over the years than any other saw I own (during the young and dumb days).
I wouldn't get too overly concerned about it. I hope all brands go to the same type twist on twist off filter like the 261.

Rusty, I would just either sell the 346 or trade it off on a 261, it's clear you'll never be happy or satisfied with it. Hell, maybe Saw Troll will buy it and set it on the shelf to draw dust.

I wish you lived closer, I'd loan you my 261 for a couple of weeks to see if you liked it any better.

Haha. :laugh:

If it runs/handles like I have it imagined...or even close, I'm sure I'll like it. By all accounts, it's going to be better than my 260 in about every way. I just don't care for the way the 346 was put together. If it seriously made a real difference though, I'm sure it wouldn't be as popular as it is. Just a matter of perspectives, I suppose...different styles of engineering.

Thanks for the thoughts on the loan. If we were closer, I'd surely take you up on it. I think the 346 is going to suit me fine though. I'll be able to start cutting wood with it in the next couple weeks. Will report back.

Last edited:
Good thing wood is blind......soft maple would take one look at the 346 poor engineering/fit and finish and say "I will not allow that saw to cut me!" Assuming wood had a mouth and vocal cords that is.

Latest posts

Back