Breaking In process, new Saw (40cc class)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jameson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a new member here and would like some suggestions on the breaking in process for a saw I just purchased. Im not much for the one paragraph posts so I will go into detail here. Please excuse.....

I maintain all of my own outdoor power equipment and do everything on my Truck except internal engine work. My main business is Chimney and roofing repair, but I do alot of odd jobs every week.

My experience with operating my own chainsaws (I have a blower/weedwacker/mower etc) involves a Poulan that I had bought new in 1999, and used it once for a couple hours every two years until this past summer. Then it began having fits where it wouldn't run beyond my best efforts and the repair shop (best guy in the area) told me I got my moneys worth. This summer it was used for about 60 hours, It has lost a bit of compression.

Soooooo Off to home depot and I talked the Yard&garden manager into giving me a reduced price ($120 from the marked $180) on a "factory reconditioned" cs352 echo saw. Little did he know I had a torx screwdriver and a scrench in my pocket and I had it in pieces in two minutes so I could check it out in more detail, including pulling the plug. Looked absolutetly new, on everything. Had basically been used until the chain dulled, then returned. Took it home, it screamed a little, pulled limiters (well the whole metal plate thing came off) and screen adjusted H to a nice grunt and started cutting a 40' downed oak in the yard. Put a 91vxl chain on her and she runs nice and cuts surprisingly well for a small saw. Has about 20 hours on it now.

NOW I was at the pawn shop the other day, as I go weekly, and as I walk out the owner stops me and says he has some 400's in the back, boxed/new. Preferred customer $150. Cant pass that up, so now I have a BRANDY new Echo cs-400 to help with the bigger stuff. I am very pleased with the air filter design compared to the cs-352 BUT HOW DO I BREAK IT IN? I already removed the screen and the limiters - darn metal plate came off again too! Haven't even put gas in her yet.

I run 93 octane shell and echo powerblend x oil at 40:1 ratio in all my stuff that calls for 50:1 mix with stabil "protect". Should I use a full conventional for break in?
Should I turn the H out from the factory setting a little before even starting it?

I seem to have done a good job with the little cs352 as it does cut much better with the way I have it tuned, but it is to ear from what I listened to on a few good videos on youtube. I really DONT want to burn out a saw as I have heard can happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My echo srm225 trimmer for break in, I basically went full throttle for five minutes with a full string out and the thing has about 75 hours on it now, and it purrs, never adjusted anything.

I have been sharpening chainsaws about ten years longer than I have been using them regularly, and everyone who has ever used one of my sharpened chains will tell you, they last longer than their grinder and cut very efficiently. I have to sharpen them on average every three tanks of fuel in the little saw (cs-352)

Hopefully that isn't too long to detract anyone from reading. I love these forums.

JC

p.s. If you ask why echo, it is because my father has an echo blower he bought in 1991 that is still running well with no major repairs. That is why I trust the brand, and why I figured I would start with two small saws, and if I need something in the larger range, then I will look at husqvarna and Stihl.... However, I do think that echos ease of starting is a HUGE plus..... The pawn shop has a new in box cs-590 timber wolf for $350 (I could talk him down), now that is enticing....

Man are you a business man u like to type . haha just tune your saw a hair rich for a few tanks put it in some wood . few takes later lean it out a hair . ready to roll

Howdy! Here's your first "you suck" for the deal on the 400! Excellent!

What the other guys said, and what you did, make it so the H can get richer past the limiters and romp and stomp and chomp it in wood! You sound like a good preventative maintenance guy.

I like leaving my screens in, but make the exit holes much larger.

I did drill two holes in the louvre on the cs352 to make it look like the cs400 louvre... No noticeable difference but i plan on a muffler gut.

My issue with the cs352 is mainly the fuel burn rate. It has an 8 oz tank and that is gone in like 15 minutes or less it seems... Runs like a pit bull though, so im happy.

Run in technique? Just cut wood with it.

Carb adjustments? I also turn out the L screw a bit and not only the H!

Echo 590 for 350? You have to be mad to not take one home!

Back