New Jotul going in tommorrow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLCM

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Got a new Jotul Kennebec to replace my old blackbart. What if anything do I need to do to break it in?

The manual should state or the stove should come with some sort of break in instructions - mostly it's to cure the paint - or at least that was the case with my Avalon Rainer. Is it enamel? I hear those don't smell as much as the matte paint. Be prepared to have the windows open and possibly the smoke alarms going off as the stove will give off odor and fumes.

No, it's matte paint. The manual isn't specific about breaking in. It says the stove may emit odor from the paint curing for the first few fires.

interesting... well basically you want to ease the stove and let the paint cure. My instructions said to do 3 small fires gradually increasing the temp with each - which translates to a small, medium, and large(r) load of wood. It also said to leave the door ajar for the first fire since the gasket might adhere to the paint while it cures. Of course, you don't want to do this with a large load and certainly not without keeping an eye on it. Again it WILL give off fumes and odor so be prepared!

Latest posts

Back