New Jugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking strictly on volume you could probably sell a lot of slugs and jugs for the 029 ms290, ms310 039 ms390 series, just because, well you know, homeowners blowing them up.

Yep. I second that. An economical, quality decomp valve equipped 49mm P/C kit would be a neat way for non-Pros (and 'budget' Pros) to rejuvinate the truckloads of tired old 029 and 039 saws floating around, as well as the newer MS versions. I see old 029 and 029Supers for sale around here all the time. Most of the time they're clapped out. The only cheap P/C sets I've seen for sale for these saws are 46mm and non-decomp. I know, I know, why waste time and $$$ on a 'throwaway saw'? That's been covered from many angles many times here. The fact is, this is a viable market.

And now to steal (Stihl?) some thunder:

"The propper fix for the saws you mention is to throw them away and buy MS361s!!!" :deadhorse:

"True, except a $100.00ish P/C, plus some gaskets and a little frustration sure sounds better to me (and the Wife) than $600.00!!!"

The preceeding was a pre-emptive retaliation to the usual A/S response regarding anything to do with an 029/039/MS290/MS310/MS390. Now back to our regular programing...

Subject (saw) change:
I've done some searching on A/S regarding the 038 family but am still confused. Are the 52mm aftermarket P/C sets useable on 038AV and 038AVSuper saws? I've gathered conflicting info. Some ads I've seen for aftermarket 038 52mm P/C sets state that the jugs are useable on all 038s. I know the cases are different between the AV/Super saws and the Mag/Mag-II saws, and that OEM (and OEM style) Mag/Mag-II 52mm jugs won't work on a non-Mag 038 case. How can an aftermarket jug be a 'one size fits all' when the bolt pattern is different?

In any case, if the product doesn't already exist then you'd have a good niche to fill with 52mm (or bigger) P/C sets that would bolt to the non-Mag 038s out there. Now if we could just put a HD filter setup on there. Building an econo 044 one step at a time... :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
cylinder kit I would concider is the 084/088. This is very popular with the racers but also with the guys running chainsaw mills. You would be very pleasently surprised by the #'s of these that you would move. You would probably notice a granburg going out with the kit at the same time.
Yes please 130odd cc sounds great!

We are already producing a stock 026 piston & cylinder kit (# CK 026) so it is much less expensive to make it a big bore. The problem is, do people really need a big bore kit in such a small displacement saw? I believe the 036 has merit because it has a professional following, and perhaps a 361 with some time. Anyhow, I am just listening right now. Thank you all for the input so far.
Nik

most of us want bigger displacement in everything we own. :D 026/036. Id buy them both today if they were in the catalog. Cant go wrong there.

I would take the big bore 026. I my part of the country the timber is smaller and 45-50 cc saws are the #1 seller to pro loggers. I always thought that a 026 with a displacement of 52-53 cc would be great.

A 48cc 346 wouldn't be bad either.

I would love a 2mm over bore on my MS360, I love the package, light and powerful already. In the south where the timber is smaller this saw is great for most jobs. The problem I have seen with many 029/039 is the bottom ends arent worth wasting a good P/C on, they go just about as quick. Adding a 039 jug to any 029/290/310 is instant fun and throw in a decent port job and open the muffler up and you got a real strong runner, pull a 24" bar no problem at all in any wood! My vote would be the 036 saw then maybe a husky of some sort 357xp/359 could take care of two birds with one stone there I think!

I vote for a big bore 346 up to 50cc would just be a 2mm overbore
I would also like to see cheap 2100 jugs and how about making the 272 kits as cheap as the 268's

Buck

I think this should have been set up as a pole maybe, to where this wont drag on. In a perfect world each owner would be able to get a big bore kit for any of his saws, but the market just wont allow that, just my .02 worth!

Subject (saw) change:
I've done some searching on A/S regarding the 038 family but am still confused. Are the 52mm aftermarket P/C sets useable on 038AV and 038AVSuper saws? I've gathered conflicting info. Some ads I've seen for aftermarket 038 52mm P/C sets state that the jugs are useable on all 038s. I know the cases are different between the AV/Super saws and the Mag/Mag-II saws, and that OEM (and OEM style) Mag/Mag-II 52mm jugs won't work on a non-Mag 038 case. How can an aftermarket jug be a 'one size fits all' when the bolt pattern is different?

In any case, if the product doesn't already exist then you'd have a good niche to fill with 52mm (or bigger) P/C sets that would bolt to the non-Mag 038s out there. Now if we could just put a HD filter setup on there. Building an econo 044 one step at a time... :greenchainsaw:
You are correct the cylinder bolt spacing on the mag is different from what is on the AV and Super. So a direct bolt on doesn't exist to upgrade your AV or Super to a 52mm jug and piston. From my experience (if your referring to ebay) a lot of the people that are selling the aftermarket p&c kits aren't that knowledgeable about saws. One person that was selling aftermarket pistons assumed an 038 Super (50mm) piston would work on an 044 since they were both stihl and both 50mm. This is definately not the case.

026: would love to see a bigbore 026, they make a killer saw ported. stock they are mostly unimpressive. good long lasting saws though!

036/360: another solid saw with good performance. woods ported stock cyl can smoke a muffler modded 044 with 20" bars on both. would love to see more displacement and the same weight!

084: heck i would even love to see a STOCK size aftermarket available! i have an 084 that i would love to get running but since i cant find a cyl, its going to in its box as a race saw project.

husky 346: smokes the 026, a bigbore would just be mind blowing!

Would it be possible to make one big bore kit that would fit a Husqvarna 340, 345, 350, 346XP, and 353?

I think it'd be hard to sell enough P&Cs of one model to justify the cost, but if it fit multiple models then it may work out.

I agree with NWCS and Dean on the 084. I am always looking to scavange 084 jugs and pistons (good ones with the heat groove in them).

026 would be nice, 036 also.

Tom

I think eventhough the 084 sets (stock or big bore) would possibly be nice for some people I don't think there would be enough demand to make it profitable. The expense involved in having a kit built is fairly expensive even overseas (10k-20k from what one guy told me). In the grand scheme of things the number of 084's out there is pretty slim. I think the kits that bailey's currently offers (044, 046, 066, and 372) is probably the best 4 models they could have chosen to start out with. In the stihl lineup I think the 026 and 036 would be potential candidates.

As far as selling, I would think the 026 BB would be a big seller
Their is bunch of 026 out their. It is a pro grade saw that a allot
of home owners buy, so allot of good used saw with little time on them.
For us to buy and play with :)

7900 bb

Just think if a feller could buy the 7900 BB P&C cheaper then the 200 dollars from dolmar for just a stock p&c. look out home depots. all the 6400s would vanish

I'd agree with getting 084's. It seems there isn't much available for them, and when parts do show up, they dissappear very quickly.

Back