new laynard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree dude

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
good evening!

i am thinking of retiring my old buck strap and making a new lanyard, due to too many run-ins with pine sap.what do you think would be a better or safer lanyard a 12 ft piece of true blue or a 12ft piece of samson tree rope both 1/2 " dia.

I use New England's True Blue as my 1/2'' rigging line. It has taken quite a bit of abuse and still has its soft nature. I do like true blue and I think it would make a good lanyard. One thing to consider is that it might not do really well at "flipping up" the tree since it is quite soft. I use an 18' chunk of XTC fire for my lanyard and it is much stiffer then the true blue.

Which samson rope are you talking about?

They would both make good choices, minimum break strength for climbing line is 5400 lbs so both your choices should work. Only suggestion is to make your laynard out of a different color rope than your climbing line to prevent confusion while working. Be careful.

tree dude said:
samson tree master 3 strand.

Simple to splice and it will flip well, what type adjuster are you planning to use? True blue would work but forgot it was 12 strand and not ?? splicable, knots really bulk up a laynard.

Dadatwins said:
Simple to splice and it will flip well, what type adjuster are you planning to use? True blue would work but forgot it was 12 strand and not ?? splicable, knots really bulk up a laynard.

I really thought knots would bulk up a lanyard also, but I have been impressed so far. I had a spliced lanyard with a rope snap and it worked great. Just recently I made up my own with a triple fisherman tied to a rope snap. I was skeptical because I was used to the spliced end, but so far it hasn't been too bulky and I kind of like the extra weight to toss it around. Who knows though I might make up another one with a spliced end in the future.

The Samson 3 strand will work well for a lanyard. Nice and stiff :biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
maxi-flip with steel core is great but for pruning i use 9ft spliced 11millblaze wtth distel hitch n pully on small pear biner(mighty mouse) this is great for adjustment with a load and works with one hand. i use 3x longer than me leg so im not stepping on wile working. always be sure 2 use stopper knot for safty on end 2 prevent rope end from passing through pully n hitch i also use same setup for climbing line and find this setup is much more climber friendly n faster:clap: just remember speed comes with knowage and is better 2 think twice and move once:cheers:

If you do a lot of Pines, consider a wire core with a Gibbs ascender. The wire core rope is very stiff for flipping, and the Gibbs has no problems with sap.
You could have a second lanyard for trimming hardwoods. Mine is just some 11mm climbing line like Blaze, Fly, or Velocity, with a rope snap tied on one end and a VT hitch and fair lead on the other. Try a nice long one, the length comes in handy sometimes.

i just bought a lanyard from Sherill. its the one with the double snap hooks. its the slickest line i have ever had on a lanyard. so far it works great, but i dont use it on pines that much. i go through two a year and it seems like this might last longer because of the rope used.

Also if you get a Gibbs Ascender to use on a flip line... make sure you replace the removeable "pin" with a bolt and a locknut!

I use one on a 5/8" wire core flip line... courtesy of JonnyHart! Thanks Jon!:rockn:

Gary

treesurgeon said:
i just bought a lanyard from Sherill. its the one with the double snap hooks. its the slickest line i have ever had on a lanyard. so far it works great, but i dont use it on pines that much. i go through two a year and it seems like this might last longer because of the rope used.
works like crap once it gets muddy.
time to wash it.

I use a 5/8 combination rope bought from a trawl net manufacturer. It lasts forever, well usually a good year, and you'd really have to try and put your saw through it. It is very stiff compared to the other lanyards I've seen and is great on big trees.

lanyard.jpg

core_end.jpg

Thanks for posting those pictures. I would love to try that out on an 11 mm diameter. I wonder if the trawler suppliers make that?

Our Arborist wirecores are a single wire core of wire rope wrapped in a rope sheath. Yours has 7 individual cores of cable, each wrapped in rope and in a traditonal left lay.

I like it. It seems if you touched it with a saw, you might nail the rope fibers on one or two of the cables, and it would be forgiving toward repair, Whereas with our traditional wirecores, you hit the sheath, and that's the only one you've got- one cable, one sheath.

I have never seen CoastArborist line before, but I imagine it would work great as a flipline.
core_end.jpg

lanyard.jpg

Last edited:

I climb on braided and use 3 strand for flip lines you can really see the difference .It helps me a lot.

I can see where the 3-strands would just be stiffer than the braided brothers. My last two fliplines were Velocity and just this last week, Blaze. The Blaze is limp like a fish noodle. I've traditionally used wirecores and enjoy the better flipping control and feeling of absolute strength and integrity (and, yea, the weight).

The Velocity was great, integrated with the micrograb, it was delicious, but the eye terminations were too long and the length was about 10 cm too long, but otherwise it was impressive for an 11 mm rope flipline.

The Blaze, I put tube webbing on the eyes, made it exact to length, made the terminal biner captive. Awesome performance, except for that it's limp as a whistle. It's perfect, but I really, really prefer something with some stiffness, like OSB's 3-strand. I'm married to 11 mm from here on out. 13 mm fliplines are a thing of the past. Always being tied in twice while making any cut is standard, dedicated climbing behavior ( I still prefer a wirecore)

Streyken, your flipline is an excellent entry into the Arboristsite School of Lanyardogenics.

Copy and paste this: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=535845#post535845

and send it to the makers of your fully excellent wirecore trawler line.

That'll pop them right here to this post

Then we can talk about creating the next generation wirecore flipline.

This is so much fun, molding other people's great ideas into a product that would work for Arborists. :cheers:

Tree Machine, it does work great as a flipline, where I am there's a lot of large hemlock and fir removal. And it is quite resistant to the saw teeth, the chain really has to be moving to make it through one or two wires, which happens very seldom if you're careful, but if it does out come the clippers.

They don't have that type of wire in 11mm, I've thought about going that route. They do however, carry 3/4 and 1 in.:D

In the past I used 2 wire clamps to attach the clip, but the compression fitting is much nicer, just watch that sucker when you're swinging it around a tree. I just bring the clips in and they make them up at the net place. Just don't tell them you're using them as a life line, though they're heavier than almost everything I've seen, they're not safety approved and cannot be sold as safty gear.

Latest posts

Back