New Med. Duty Diesel Dump Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What New Med. Duty (19500 GVW) Dump/Chip Truck Brand would you buy?

• Ford F-550/F-450

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Dodge 5500/4500

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • International Terrastar

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Kenworth/Peterbilt T170/325

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Husky288XP

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a new Med. Duty Diesel chip/dump truck, just curious to see what advice any of you guys had in the new truck model department?

I've had a crappy Ford 550 with the 6.0 Diesel, I currently have a nice GMC 5500 with the duramax. But, GM is out of the new Med truck game.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

I think any will be better than the 6.0... I seen them break a lot of good honest hard working men

I bet the guy said to himself "6 oh why did I buy this piece of ****?" I have six grand of repairs a year on this thing!!!

I have a 2014 f450. I've put 60,000 miles onit in 11 months. Zero trouble.
I've got a heavy utility bed plumb full of crap. And I regularly pull a 12-15k trailer over the sierras.
99 ram3500, o5 gmc4500, 09gmc3500
And now the ford. So far I think this is the best of the bunch.

My partner up in Oregon has one in a f350 that's about 4 months older than my 450. There is a different "tune" and I think the turbo it different.
My dealer told me the med-duty trucks are de-tuned a bit.
For what it's worth that f350 is a rocket! Faster that my hotrod 24 valve was. His 350 has been a good truck.
He's realy happy with it but he don't drive like I do.only 20-30k no trouble yet.

The 6.0, 2003 to 2005 is crap. Stay away from it.
Because everyone hates the 6.0s is exactly why I love them! I pick f'ed up ones for pennies then fix em right. They are good motors after a few of their issues are corrected. Most shops don't know how to properly diagnose them and the ones that do rape people when they have anything done to them. The 06 and 07's have their problems too, not just the 03 to 05's.

I have an 04 6.0 550 and love it. I bought it with the head studs and egr cooler delete already done. It was a 7k job in which they have to remove the whole cab to do the work. I've had a few miner problems with it but it runs like a champ. I looked for a 7.3 for a while and everyone I looked at was a piece of **** and the seller wanted too much $$$ for them. so far I like the 6.0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an 04 6.0 550 and love it. I bought it with the head studs and egr cooler delete already done. It was a 7k job in which they have to remove the whole cab to do the work. I've had a few miner problems with it but it runs like a champ. I looked for a 7.3 for a while and everyone I looked at was a piece of **** and the seller wanted too much $$$ for them. so far I like the 6.0

A friend of mine swears by these guys
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418042135.403313.jpg

They stay wrapped up, so they must be alright

Heads and studs can be done with out pulling the cab. It's tricky but can be done. 7k is exactly what I mean about getting screwed! It's $12-1400 in parts and 12 to 14 hours labor max. I don't know why I'm cutting trees I should be spinning wrenches!
I've had multiple 7.3's 6.0's and cummins trucks. I'm not brand partial, I buy what is the best value for my dollar, and right now I'm driving 6 liters.

Heads and studs can be done with out pulling the cab. It's tricky but can be done. 7k is exactly what I mean about getting screwed! It's $12-1400 in parts and 12 to 14 hours labor max. I don't know why I'm cutting trees I should be spinning wrenches!
I've had multiple 7.3's 6.0's and cummins trucks. I'm not brand partial, I buy what is the best value for my dollar, and right now I'm driving 6 liters.
Why in the world don't you start buying them up, fixing and selling? ?? They bring pennies at auctions as you know.

Why in the world don't you start buying them up, fixing and selling? ?? They bring pennies at auctions as you know.
I have been! Picked this 06 up for $5500. A new FICM and one injector was all it needed.
image.jpg

Want a job?
I take way to long doing them, buddy of mine is a 6.0 mastermind tho. I learned from him, makes me look incompetent. He usually helps me diagnoising them and fixing the more complex ****

image.jpg
Picked this one up for $800. Guy had two shops tell him it was head gaskets one wanted $8g to fix other was at $7,200.
It was only a cracked egr cooler. Delete kit was $525 with all the gaskets I needed. I was swamped at the time so my buddy did the delete and went through the turbo for $500.

A tree man playing with fire... imagine that lol

Latest posts

Back