FORD DUMP TRUCK f450 , 7.3 OR 6.0

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking to buy a dump truck for chipper and not really sure which engine is best. I have heard that the 7.3 Ford is great and after 200 and after 2000 for the 6.0 had a lot of problems. I am a Chevy man myself, unfortunately there are none available in my area with a crew cab dump. Plenty of Fords though. Found a Ford Ford F 450 crew cab 4 by 4 with aluminum chip box and a 7.3 diesel. But they want 2 but they want 25000 for it. Seems really hi to me. Any advice to push me in the right direction would be appreciated, thanks

I forgot to add that the truck has only 93000 miles on it and it is a 2002

The 6.0 diesel on the dump trucks didn't have to meet the emissions requirements that the small chassis trucks did. I would ask for maint records and make sure that if its had the coolant flushed it was filled with Ford Gold (or done by Ford dealer, they should know better then to use anything else.) The VGT on the 6.0 spools faster and makes more boost then the 7.3l.

I would invest in a Diesel Coolant Filtration system, you can get them for about $200 and install in about an hour. They can save an engine and are cheap insurance. I have a 6.0 and love it, I wouldn't trade it for a 7.3, but I wouldn't NOT like a 7.3 if I didn't have a 6.0.

Also, the 2003 had a larger 59mm Garrett turbo, after that they went down to a 56mm that would flow a little less but made as much if not more power through better tuning on the VGT.

Enjoy

Thanks Je thanks Jed, I thought so too. The owner seems to think that it is the last one like it. Meaning meaning a 7.3 under 100,000 miles, 4 by 4, an, & a huge aluminum chip box. Still just seems like a ton of money for a 2002. Anyone know of other engines from for that were oka from for that were OK after 2004?

That sounds way to high for the 7.3. Stay away from the 6.0. Everything you heard is true. Keep looking.

You have either never owned a 6.0, cared for a 6.0 or just buy into the haters. Most all 6.0l failures are caused by ignorance (wrong coolant, bad coolant cap or hot tune) all leading to super heated coolant/EGR cooler failure. This has been proven through the lower exhaust standards in the 6.0l in other chassis and the LACK of failures.

Great info bg, thanks. So how do I know if the 6.0 is a good one or not?

Great info bg, thanks. So how do I know if the 6.0 is a good one or not?

Like I said ask for main records, ask what coolant was used, they should know a good maint history on it. When its warm up at idle you should be able to hear the exhaust pitch "cycle" and change meaning the VGT is working, if you let if warm up and drive it, get on it. The 6.0l can and need to be driven hard to get the "vains" in the turbo to articulate and move like they should. Mine sat for a month and was a dog when I got it but then ran it hard and would get the turbo hot and clean the carbon out and now its night and day. Pulling things that turbo will spool hard right off idle, the 6.0l is a great diesel engine made bad by over heating issues.

You by one get the coolant flushed, throw in a coolant filtration system and a new coolant de-gas bottle cap (like $7) and that will take care of 97% of all overheating/EGR stress issues. I 4" Turbo back exhaust system helps too and sounds great :)

Know nothing about the 6.0 in the heavy chassis compared to the light duty but the 6.0 is a runner and will put a chipped 7.3 to shame. The newer the 6.0 the better. Lots of small upgrades were done in the few years it was in production. egr delete and head studs go a long way in making a 6.0 live...dont know if that applies to the HD series though.

7.3 had a bit stronger bottom end in the 2002? and older trucks. they changed to powder rods in mid to late 2002??? which are less desirable and even when a 7.3 has a air filter, exhaust, and tuner it will struggle to keep up with a good running stock 6.0L.

I have had both and miss my 6.0L dearly. Spent a ton of money on this 7.3 and it still doesnt come close to what my stock 6.0L ran like....empty or loaded.

Having said all that...if i were looking at a 6.0 i would budget $6000 for engine repairs on any that you come across even if they are low mileage. If you dont have to spend it...GREAT...but if it ends up needing repairs you will have the money to do it right and end up with a reliable strong motor. Most issues with the 6.0L all circle back to the coolant. Whether it be a blown egr cooler, head gaskets, head bolts

You have either never owned a 6.0, cared for a 6.0 or just buy into the haters. Most all 6.0l failures are caused by ignorance (wrong coolant, bad coolant cap or hot tune) all leading to super heated coolant/EGR cooler failure. This has been proven through the lower exhaust standards in the 6.0l in other chassis and the LACK of failures.
I have never owned a 6.0. I have four different friends who have. Everyone of them had to do head gaskets. I can't tell you the reason why, whether it be coolant or what, but that has been my experience with them. Don't know anyone who has had trouble with the 7.3 other then a oil pan rotting out. They all suck compared to a Cummins anyway;)

I agree in the long term studs will make it a life long truck. Honestly though if you look at the reasons for the head gasket failures you start to see they are not direct causes but rather symptom s of other (coolant/overhearing/block silica) in the EGR cooler.

Wow, just sounds like a huge gamble! I dont know much about diesels, plenty about gas, but seems like these are great engines if you are lucky. Lucky enough to find one with maintenance records, hasnt had a blown head gasket due to overheating from not using correct coolant and filtration system, and if your not lucky , get ready to dump another 6 grand into your investment. Are all diesels this dicey , or just fords? I always pictured having a diesel being as a tough as nails, reliable , and dependable truck. Right now it sounds like tons of maintenance and alot of down time. Which of course cost your more money on top of repairs. My 04 chevy 2500 hd 6.0 gas is a dog and gets horible gas mileage but the damn thing shows up for work every day, pulling from 10,000- 15,000 lbs EVERY DAY. i realize gas motors dont have the longevity as diesels, but damn , with all the problems and higher cost of diesels. Why? Is there other diesels that dont have as many problems as these fords? 2003-2008

I drive a 2005 6 liter and agree with what has been stated and would like to add watch out for bad fuel. I deleted my egr early on, the issue I have had is fuel wiping injectors. The guy I was working for last fall has both engines all stock. We took a pair of 12'x24' storage buildings 60 miles into Canada and the 7.3 I was driving with 125k on the meter couldn't manage 60 mph on the floor. The guy driving the 6 liter had to pull over twice and let me catch up and it has over 200k miles on the meter.

If you think the 6.0 is bad trust me the 6.4 is worse... I think you should go 7.3 if you wanta low mmaintenance diesel.

I had a 7.3. Put thousands and thousands into it. I put about $35k into it over 75k miles. They have their issues too. I got a bad one.

Any....ANY emission diesel engine will have high maintenance costs until you delete the emission crap. There is nothing cheap about a diesel but nothing beats the pulling power. Currently I'm running an 01 f250 with 315000 miles. 4" exhaust, turbo outlet housing, ts performance tuner, custom air intake. It's still a turd but does fire up and take me to work every morning and drag 8-18k lbs around and do it with reasonable speed. I've owned or drove lots of different gas pickups. Even with half the load I put on my diesel they were painfully slow. I'll take the high maintenance cost over a gutless gas job

Are the 6.4 s any better or worse?

6.4 just say no. Chevy has bad injector issues toasting motors dodge had one was good but chassis was crap. I would do a 6.0 again if I didn't have one....

OP, what is your budget? You might want to forget about Ford, Chevy, Dodge, and go right into somthing like a small International. 4700 with a dt466 is pretty bullet proof. This is going to be a chip truck and not a daily driver right?

6.4 just say no. Chevy has bad injector issues toasting motors dodge had one was good but chassis was crap. I would do a 6.0 again if I didn't have one....

I like my 2009 and 2010 6.4s... They cost more to maintain sure, but they still show up and work every day. My 2004 and 2005 trucks with the six liter engines did exactly the same thing. And they did it better than my 2002 F350. My 2013 with the 6.7 makes them all look bad though.

The bottom line on these trucks is that they have to be properly maintained, and a lot of the problems go away. I'd also like to point out that it won't be long before the pre-regs motors are worn out and not worth repairing, so the industry in general should really get used to regulated engines and learn the differences, and not be so stupid and hard headed about it.

Latest posts

Back