New Member and New Saw Owner...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all,
Just got my new saw today, an Echo CS-370. Pretty much my only use for a saw is to do some limbing, cutting out shrubs, or cutting up a bit of firewood for my fire pit. I figured this saw would serve me better than the cheap "throw away" saws. If I would need a larger saw, my buddy has a Stihl MS461 with a 25" bar and I believe a 30" or 32" to go with it. :D

I also grabbed a bottle of Amsoil Saber 2 stroke oil to use to break it in. I'm definitely mixing it the normal 50:1 until well after it has some hours on it. As much as I like to tinker with things, I'll go through the typical break in period before gutting the cat from the muffler and tweaking the carb screws. Unfortunately for me, I won't even get a chance to fire it up for a couple days or so. And the price on this saw? How's free sound? Got my 20th anniversary award from work and the CS-370 was in the catalog. All I could say was, "MINE!"

L8R,
Matt
I love the saber 100.1 mixed at 50.1. It's all I will run now. Broke my 150t in with it too and still use at 50.1

These site encourage the gutting of a kitty from the exhaust. But as everyone here says pull the caps asap can be done with a sheet rock screw and don't even take the saw apart. My echo is been going strong about 6 years 200 plus days a year never cracked the engine open. Recently did a carb kit.been through 3 echo bars, they don't last long, now on my 2nd stihl 200t bar. And replaced a chain brake band. 6 years of solid reliability and I won't ever trade it for a 201t

Don't be fooled by the "four stroking" as those saws have a rev-limiting coil that mimics a correct carb setting.

Remove the limiter caps and custom tune it before it seizes up from being too lean.......Cliff

What he said. My untuned 400 ran great, right until it blew at 10 months old.

Congrats on the Echo! I acquired my first Echo a few months ago, a CS-341 top handle, and since it was old and used (and maintained) it runs great. I recently picked up a CS-4400 which I believe needs to be fattened up a bit. The high screw is at the stop and I'm pretty sure it's still on the lean side or right on the line. I'm quickly becoming an Echo fan though and someday maybe I need one of the gray/orange CS-8000's....

Here's the CS-4400 getting ready for some slicing
IMG_0334.sized.jpg

Clay

Congrats on the Echo! I acquired my first Echo a few months ago, a CS-341 top handle, and since it was old and used (and maintained) it runs great. I recently picked up a CS-4400 which I believe needs to be fattened up a bit. The high screw is at the stop and I'm pretty sure it's still on the lean side or right on the line. I'm quickly becoming an Echo fan though and someday maybe I need one of the gray/orange CS-8000's....

Here's the CS-4400 getting ready for some slicing
IMG_0334.sized.jpg

Clay
Don't know what they changed between the 8000 to the 800p. But the 800p has been a turd of a saw as where the 8000 can be a workhorse. Your limiters can be pulled with a sheet rock screw easy.

Just got done tuning the carb on my saw a bit ago. I pulled the limiter caps and pitched them. I only had to back out the Low adjustment screw about 1/4 turn to get it set. It started slowing down with a slight bog, so I'd turn it back in just enough to where the throttle was still snappy without bogging down. I left it on the rich side of the adjustment though to get a little extra oil in there. I'll have to wait to get it back in some wood to tweak the High adjustment screw. It it revved to the limiter without hesitation, but I made sure to back off the throttle as soon as it hit that point. Maybe Saturday if I get lucky.

L8R,
Matt

Latest posts

Back