New member here have question on stihl 009

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2cycleman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everybody i am a new member here and really enjoy this site.
I have 3 saws a stihl ms170, stihl 009 and a John deere 50V.
Just have fun playing with them. My 009 i am in the process of putting a new piston in it and a carb rebuild it is a great saw so i decided to freshen it up a little. The rod and needle bearings were a trick but managed to get them back together as this is the first saw i have rebuilt. Now i may look for another stihl project. These saws are getting very addictive. My question is i would like to know the year of my 009 the only numbers i found on it were stihl 311y. hope that helps.
Thanks in advance---- Jason

serial

Fair warning, the 311Y is going to get you a lot of ribbing on here.

Number will be a lot longer. If I remember, it is near the hand guard.
Also, what color is it for starters. Oldest saws are mostly orange, newer models are mostly white.
1981 is first year, I have one.

Older saws had a two bolt jug, newer ones 4 bolt. I have an orange one (2 bolt) as well. Good little saw.

Serial number is indeed under the handguard, on a machined section just in front of the intake cover. Mine is 7 digits.

I love the sound of those 09's.. blu blu blu blu blu blu. I keep mine on the shelf and fire it up once in a while to cheer me up. blu blu blu blu
To bad they don't have AV.
cheers

Welcome

Welcome to AS, hold onto your wallet... Enjoy your new found addiction, I mean hobby.

Jason

and I still cant give away my orange 009 either :cry:
I don't mind the 009/010/011/012 family of saws myself and think they make a great camp saw. I already have a couple of my own personal ones...but I'd give you a $1 plus shipping for the one you have and then you can say you sold it ;).

i have 5 of them good little saws. shame stihl quit making them. 4 of mine run and 1 is for parts if you need any parts let me know.

I don't mind the 009/010/011/012 family of saws myself and think they make a great camp saw. I already have a couple of my own personal ones...but I'd give you a $1 plus shipping for the one you have and then you can say you sold it ;).

Well you just mite change your mind when you here all of this :D.

Its in parts in a box. Has a bad crank & rod, bad topend (if I remember right)and I used the good carb off it for a 011. Has a good reed assembly though for the older orange 009's. All the orange covers and etc appear OK, but would check for you anyways if you really want it. Pay shipping all the parts in the box is yours. If you want a pic, it will take a day or 2 though, kinda busy right now.
Now you see why I cant give it away. :laugh: ;)

and I still cant give away my orange 009 either

I don't mind the 009/010/011/012 family of saws myself and think they make a great camp saw. I already have a couple of my own personal ones...but I'd give you a $1 plus shipping for the one you have and then you can say you sold it .

Well you just mite change your mind when you here all of this .

Its in parts in a box. Has a bad crank & rod, bad topend (if I remember right)and I used the good carb off it for a 011. Has a good reed assembly though for the older orange 009's. All the orange covers and etc appear OK, but would check for you anyways if you really want it. Pay shipping all the parts in the box is yours. If you want a pic, it will take a day or 2 though, kinda busy right now.
Now you see why I cant give it away.

I guess that means you really dont want a free 009 bcorradi . :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :D Hey I understand though. :D :rock:

Personally, I think 009's SUCK! I used one at work a few times last season, I hated that thing, what a POS! I'd rather use a Homelite XL! I think it's a terribly designed saw that didn't run worth a crap.

And we all know all good saws are orange all over.

about the 009 series

lot of hate for these saws. but i have to be honest. with a modest bar and a sharp chain, these are some of the most fun saws to use.
after felling, lay down the 44. grab the 011. take of limbing.
i have had my 011 for 4 years now, and i bought it used. but it al;ways starts on the second pull no questions.
probably not a pro woods saw, but i can saw, it is a darn good little homeowner saw for small timer.
again, thats just me!
Later

I guess that means you really dont want a free 009 bcorradi . :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :D Hey I understand though. :D :rock:
I have a busted husky 61 gas tank, beatup crankcase along with a scored piston and cylinder. Do you want it? Junk is junk no matter what the manufacturer is ;).

Personally, I think 009's SUCK! I used one at work a few times last season, I hated that thing, what a POS! I'd rather use a Homelite XL! I think it's a terribly designed saw that didn't run worth a crap.

And we all know all good saws are orange all over.
If your taste of women and saws are aligned...I think we can take your wisdom with a grain of salt.

Back