new member here with a tuning question on a ms660 build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will stall when turned almost full lean on the L screw, it just doesn't rev as high in the sweet spot like my 362 does, it's just a noticeable change in pitch, or cleans up I should say, then it goes lean and dies when I go a quarter turn further. I'm sorry I should have clarified that a little better in my op. I was just comparing it to how my other saw behaves.
Does your 362 have limiters? If it does, all the way in on the L may not be all the way in. No saw should idle with the L all the way in, there would be no fuel to burn.

The way I tune L is by ear or with a tach (preferable). Turn screw to highest rpm idleing you can get, lower LA to recommended rpm (or where the chain is just intermittently moving), then repeat. Then when u think you’re done, see how throttle response is. If it’s dull, fatten the L slightly until it’s ok and turn the LA in to get idle rpm you want.

Make sure you are tuning the H correct. There is a good video by @blsnelling here on tuning. The saw shouldn’t scream, it should sound like a misfire and then clean up under load in wood. Before I got into this hobby, my tune would be to have it scream, then back off 1/8th turn rich. What an idiot I was, but I never toasted a saw. Probably didn’t cut enough big stuff to build heat and score it.

Back