new member needs help with orange tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I inherited (literally) a tree 3 years ago from my aunt and uncle. The story is that my uncle threw an orange pit in a flower pot and the tree grew. I am NOT 100% sure that it is in fact an orange tree (it has thorns).

I live in NYC and had it on my deck all summer. I watered it and fed it and it was VERY happy. Now we brought it in the house (it is COLD outside) and it is DROPPING leaves like crazy!! They curl and just fall off. There is no change in color, nothing turns brown or yellow. It is not a very full tree, or a pretty shape. I water it about once a week. It gets as much sun as my home allows, It is near a window (draft/sun?). I have kept it alive for 3 years.

I recall that it dropped leaves last year, but I don't think it was at this rate.

Should I cut it back to encourage growth to less branches? I don't mind cutting it WAY back, if that will help. I just don't want it to die.

Thanks

The shift from cold to warm is probably what triggered the leaf drop. Orange trees are considered evergreens so some minor leaf drop is normal but this sounds rather extensive. Many cultivars do have thorns, so it is probable that it is an orange tree. Pictures would be great if possible. it's hard to asess the trees condition w/o seeing it, however if I had to guess I would say that when it adjusts to the warmer conditions it may cease leaf drop. I've included a link to a video that talks about growing orange trees:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MqxM9t1caw

Citrus trees and some others, such as ficus, will drop their leaves with an extreme change such as you describe; i.e., bringing in from outside. In fact, I have known some to drop their leaves if they were situated where a draft would hit them in the house. I, personally, would not do anything else to it at this time. Let it stabilize to its new environment.

For container citrus my reference states to shelter plants in the winter if in an area that freezes. "A cool greenhouse is best, but a basement area or garage with good bright light is satisfactory." If kept as a houseplant "locate no farther than 6 ft. from a sunny window, away from radiators or other heat sources. Ideal humidity level is 50 percent. Increase moisture by misting tree; also ring tree with pebble-filled trays of water. Water sparingly in winter."

The reference also states that container-grown citrus will need to be root-pruned and repotted in fresh soil every 4 to 5 years to remain healthy.

Pruning instructions for citrus is not to prune in fall or winter but to wait until spring to see what has survived. (Of course, those recommendations are for in-ground trees which stay outside and are susceptible to freeze damage.) However, further pruning instructions basically say to prune for aesthetics, removal of deadwood, and to establish the shape and size desired.

As Urban Forestor said, pictures are always good to be sure we are giving accurate comments.

Sylvia

orange tree thoughts

I would LOVE to post photos, but I am having difficulty uploading them onto the site.
I moved the tree away from the window because I am concerned about drafts. It gets sun from another window, and seems a bit happier.

I was told that "it likes its feet wet" so I am thinking that maybe I have over watered it.

During the summer, when it was outside, I fed it every week and it GREW like CRAZY!!!

I'm thinking that I'll leave it for now, trim off the leaves that die. Now that I moved it, some of the branches (with thorns) stick out into my living room, so I'll just trim some of that back before family (with young kids) visit for the holiday.

It is so easy to keep watering on a schedule that you are accustomed forgetting about the changing seasons (I speak from experience :dizzy: ). So, yes, watch the overwatering.

I fully understand about trimming for safety in the enclosed space of indoors vs. body parts! But I would just trim as you stated for now. Don't worry about the dead leaves, let them fall off naturally. If you trim them off, you may remove a bud that has set that will be desirable next season or even for an immediate replacement leaf as citrus trees don't go through a normal "dormant" season as many of our northern hardwoods do.

For posting pictures. Are you having trouble because of the size? If so, what I do is to open the picture in Paint. Under "tools" choose 'stretch and skew'. I reduce to 25%. Click ok, then save. Then it is resized appropriately for uploading onto the forum. Go to Manage Attachments and they walk you through the rest.

Sylvia

Latest posts

Back